x

Exporting Square Payroll data to Quickbooks Online for accounting purposes

We're considering switching from Quickbooks online payroll to Square payroll, but we're not confident in how to export Square's payroll service information into Quickbooks online so our books stay tidy.

Anyone use Quickbooks online with Square payroll that can give us some insight?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 18
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Appreciate the post, and great question! While we're still waiting to hear back from the other sellers, I did want chime in with some more details for you.

While we adding new features to our payroll service constantly, we haven't gotten around to this exact one yet. Having said that, you can download a CSV spreadsheet of your payroll details which you can input into Quickbooks (or another accounting software program). 

Don't hesitate to post any follow up questions, I'll certainly do my best to follow up right away! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Square

Best Answer

Appreciate the post, and great question! While we're still waiting to hear back from the other sellers, I did want chime in with some more details for you.

While we adding new features to our payroll service constantly, we haven't gotten around to this exact one yet. Having said that, you can download a CSV spreadsheet of your payroll details which you can input into Quickbooks (or another accounting software program). 

Don't hesitate to post any follow up questions, I'll certainly do my best to follow up right away! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 18

I use it and it works really well. No more data entry! 

Message 3 of 18

Franklin, I'm researching using Square Payroll with QuickBooks Online for a business opening this fall. Does the data exported from Square Payroll sync into QuickBooks Online Simple Start without requiring one to purchase QuickBooks Payroll? Can't get a straight answer from either Square or Intuit. Thanks.

Message 4 of 18
Admin

I'm sorry to hear you haven't received a straight answer yet @Marcella!

You don't need to purchase Quickbooks Payroll to sync your Square Payroll Data. You do need to have Quickbooks Online. This Support Center article has the steps to sync your Square Payroll with Quickbooks Online

If you have any other questions please let me know in this thread. I see you posted about the same topic in a few other places but if you keep everything to one thread it helps us to keep the Community organized and to see your questions! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 5 of 18

My still unanswered question is specifically if Square Payroll works with the QuickBooks Online version called Simple Start or of a more expensive version of QuickBooks is required. Can you find me an answer to this question, please? Thanks!

Message 6 of 18

Is there an example of the csv that is needed to import to QB desktop?  

Message 7 of 18
Admin

@dolphincarwash5 This Support Center article has information about which reports you can export to csv from your online Payroll Dashboard: Square Payroll Reports.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 8 of 18
Admin

Hello @Marcella! Sorry that you haven't found the answer to this. It looks like Quickbooks Online Simple Start is one of Quickbooks pricing plans/tiers - have you tried calling them directly to see if there are any restrictions with this plan? The number for Quickbooks 1-800-488-7330. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 9 of 18

How do I export payroll and payroll tax detail to QuickBooks online?

Message 10 of 18
Square Community Moderator

Heya @Vikki and welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to an existing thread for this question.

Check out the answers above for more details.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 11 of 18

I see you can link Payroll with Quickbooks, but you need to sign in with your Quickbooks ID.  My bookkeeper isn't going to want to give me all of her access.  So what are options for my Payroll info to get to bookkeeper quickly, accurately and without manual data re-entry.

Asked for Square to have someone call me about Payroll over a week ago and haven't heard anything.....So asking all my questions here.  

Message 12 of 18

Heya @RofT,

There's not a way to connect Quickbooks without the ID. They're a third party integration with us and that's required from their end. 

I'd recommend checking out our Support Center and our many articles on Payroll that should walk you through your options!

Here's one about syncing Payroll with Quickbooks Online specifically.

Ashley C
Message 13 of 18

You already said I can't sync payroll to quickbooks in this scenario.  So how can I get payroll data to my bookkeeper in format downloadable to Quickbooks?  

Message 14 of 18
Square Champion

I am looking into getting a payroll system.  Currently using Square for Retail for POS and I use QuickBooks Desktop for Financials.  Because of the nature of my business being Retail, Wholesale, and Manufacturing the QuickBooks Online is not an option.  I have been reading up on Squares Payroll and QuickBooks Payroll and wanted to know if it is possible to import Squares Payroll to QuickBooks Desktop?  Or if there is another type of Payroll anyone uses for importing into QuickBooks Desktop.

Thanks in advance!!

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 15 of 18

Hi @Candlestore - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋

I went ahead and merged your post to an existing thread where other Square Sellers have discussed this topic as well.

Please see the reply from one of our Community Moderators, @SEAN, which has been marked as the Best Answer.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Message 16 of 18
Square Champion

@_Violet ;

Thanks this answers my question!!  Just found out you can not really import to QuickBooks a payroll withdrawal but you can import Journal entries as the withdrawals.  So I was just getting ready to update my question to see if I could export the payroll details from Square as a CSV file, which I can import into QuickBooks by Journal entries!!  

Thank you!

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 17 of 18

You're very welcome, @Candlestore! 

Glad I was able to help you with this 😊 Please let me know if there is anything else I may assist you with!

Violet
Message 18 of 18