x

Feature Request: Edit visibility of items in Online Store from Square Point of Sale app

Beta Member

Feature Request: Edit visibility of items in Online Store from Square Point of Sale app

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Automatically add new items as Visible to online store?

In the square sync settings, we can toggle if adding a new item will display as unavailable or not. But doing this only adds the item as Hidden. Is there a way to set up new items to automatically be added is Visible instead? 

0 Likes
2 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Automatically add new items as Visible to online store?

The expected behavior when toggling an Online Checkout link OFF, then ON again, is for the item Visibility to remain Hidden. The reason for this is to allow you the option of selling exclusive items or an item at a special price to customers with whom you share the Checkout Link with. This article about selling hidden items explains this in a bit more depth.

There isn't a way to change the visibility settings of an item in your Square Online Store through the Square Point of Sale app at this time. However, you can access your Square Online Store settings at any time by logging into your Square account on your mobile device using a Chrome web browser, and navigating to your Online Store editor.

I'd even recommend bookmarking your Dashboard on your device - this is currently the best way to edit your item visibility on the fly. I hope this helps, @rguzman!

Verified Answer

Re: Automatically add new items as Visible to online store?

Something sounds off here, @rguzman. If you have the Mark newly imported items as "Unavailable" online setting toggled off, any items added to the Item Library in your Square Dashboard should be automatically Visible on your Online Store. 

I just tested adding a new item through my Square Dashboard, and this seems to be working as expected - it appeared automatically as Visible. Here are a few things that will cause an item be appear as Unavailable when added through your Square Dashboard:

• Adding an item without adding a price
  • You have not made the item available at the location synced to your Online Store

• Adding an item with variable prices (multiple price points for one item)

These tips should be a good jumping off point! If you're still unsure, head over to this thread for more guidance, and reach out directly if things still don't seem to be working as they should.

18 Comments
Alumni

Something sounds off here, @rguzman. If you have the Mark newly imported items as "Unavailable" online setting toggled off, any items added to the Item Library in your Square Dashboard should be automatically Visible on your Online Store. 

I just tested adding a new item through my Square Dashboard, and this seems to be working as expected - it appeared automatically as Visible. Here are a few things that will cause an item be appear as Unavailable when added through your Square Dashboard:

• Adding an item without adding a price
  • You have not made the item available at the location synced to your Online Store

• Adding an item with variable prices (multiple price points for one item)

These tips should be a good jumping off point! If you're still unsure, head over to this thread for more guidance, and reach out directly if things still don't seem to be working as they should.

Beta Member

@Valentina Ah yes, I just tried it with a brand new item and it worked. I guess I didnt really ask the right question. Now I'm realizing it has nothing to do with the Mark newly... button at all.

Each item as an "Online Checkout" toggle on it. Toggling it off changes the item from "Visible" to "Unavailable" and removes it from the site, as it should.

Now if I toggle it back on, the item changes from "Unavailable" to "Hidden".

My assumption was that toggling the "Online checkout" button on would treat the item as new which is why I mentioned the Mark newly button, but now I see that thats not the case.

Is there a way to make toggling the "Online Checkout" button automatically change an item from "Unavailable" to "Visible" instead of defaulting to "Hidden"?

Alumni

Before I dig in, can you confirm if this is the Online Checkout setting you're asking about?

If so, this setting is intended to provide you with a Square Online Checkout link for the item that you are editing. These links take your customer directly to one item, and are great for email and social media purposes.

Definitely let me know if this isn't the setting you're asking about, @rguzman.

Beta Member

@Valentina Yes, that’s the button. 

If the intended function of the button is just to provide a direct link to the item, should it be removing that item from the store at all? Cause it is definitely useful for removing items quickly when not taking stock Into account.

Right now, I have my store set up, and when toggling that option off it will remove that item from my store (which is fine), but to re-add the item I have to go into the online store item settings and change the item to “Visible”. Which is less than ideal on the fly during business hours. I was hoping there was an easier way to set to “Visible” from the Square app.

Alumni

The expected behavior when toggling an Online Checkout link OFF, then ON again, is for the item Visibility to remain Hidden. The reason for this is to allow you the option of selling exclusive items or an item at a special price to customers with whom you share the Checkout Link with. This article about selling hidden items explains this in a bit more depth.

There isn't a way to change the visibility settings of an item in your Square Online Store through the Square Point of Sale app at this time. However, you can access your Square Online Store settings at any time by logging into your Square account on your mobile device using a Chrome web browser, and navigating to your Online Store editor.

I'd even recommend bookmarking your Dashboard on your device - this is currently the best way to edit your item visibility on the fly. I hope this helps, @rguzman!

Hey y'all,

We are a bakery looking to do an online pickup order stytem. I have set up everything on Square but have not published the website because there seems to be no easy way to mark items as available or unavailable quickly on the tablet. Putting inventory stock for each item doesn't work for our model, because items are sold in a variety of ways and we can't always keep track of the total availalbe. I don't want to burden our staff with additional unnecesary tasks, so we are mostly just looking for a quick way to mark and item as available or not. We are using the regular Square, not Square Restaurants. Is there a way to do this?

Best,

Maheyaar

General Manager

Rise Bakery

Beta Member

Interested in this as well! Please advise

Beta Member

Not sure if this will work for you or not but if you have the online (weebly website or such through square) you can go on there and mark them available and not available to people online.  If you do not "receive stock" I think it just allows customers to add as many as they would like.  The only reason I think that is because I had an online order for an item that I never added a stock amount to (by mistake) and had an online order for it.

Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @RiseGlutenFree 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! Welcome to you and your business! We are happy to have you.

I can definitely see the discrepancy you're facing here in regards to inventory management. @MSTAPLETON offers a really great work-around here if you are particularly using the Online Store.

However, if you are on a tablet, inventory management would need to be editing by correcting the exact number of that specific item that you have in stock, manually. Unfortunately, we do not offer a toggle option for on and off when items are available or unavailable.

I do see how this feature could be very helpful for businesses structured like yours. In that vein, I am flagging this over to our Product Teams for visibility as a Feature Request.

Thanks, again! 

Similar issue here.  We run a fast casual restaurant.  I love the toggle feature and it used to work well for the Square Online Store Retail Setup, but i've since switched over to the Restaurant ordering page.  This page has its own pros but a big con is the Toggle button, works when taking items OFF the Online Ordering Page.  However, when we are restocked and ready to sell that item again, its a 2 step process now.  Toggling ON only sets the item as Hidden on the Online Store and not as visible.  I then have to log into Weebly/Square Online and set the item as Visible.  

Is there a solution for this?