x

Feature Request: Re-work the fulfillment selection flow during online checkout

The title of this post has been edited from the original: How to get both pickup and shipping options to show in online checkout using links?

I am including checkout links in my newsletters (through Square) and I have all of my inventory set up as "physical" and have selected the "ALL" option for the SHIPPING OR PICKUP tab.  When I tested this however, it only shows the choice of PICKUP rather than offering customers choose between the two.  How do I set it up so that they can CHOOSE between shipping or pickup?

Please note, I've enabled pickup and shipping on my Online Square Store as well.

Thank you

Message 1 of 64
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi there @alifindings - as long as you've enabled both pickup and shipping in your online store settings, your customers should be able to choose between these options at checkout. Once your customers have added items to their cart, they can click their cart in the top right-hand corner, and will see a place to Change the fulfillment option.

The grey Order will be shipped box shown below will appear at the bottom of the sidebar menu if your customer is on a desktop computer, or the bottom of the screen on a mobile device. Depending on how many items are in the cart, they may need to scroll a bit to see the Fulfillment method option shown in this screenshot. Your customers can change the fulfillment method by selecting Change within either field.

Once your customer has clicked Change, they'll see the options below, and can select Pickup in order to change the fulfillment method.

If this doesn't quite get you where you need to be, please respond with a link to your online store so we can take a walk through your checkout flow.

Edited in July 2020 to confirm that changes to the checkout flow would be considered a feature request at this time - we'll update this thread if changes are made here.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 64
63 REPLIES 63

same issue here-

fulfillment options selected:

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 22.12.23.png

at checkout, customer only sees option for shipping. cannot select pickup and delivery.

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 22.11.02.png

in-store pickup is enabled in my store settings.

is there some sort of workaround for this massive bug?

Message 43 of 64

I have enabled both shipping and pickup options on all the items in my online store.  However, when people try to place and order, they only get the shipping option - there is no way to change to pickup.  I've tested it myself and had the same problem.  Help!

Message 44 of 64
Admin

Hey @wrapartist- Check out @Valentina's answer here to make sure everything is set up correctly and that you're navigating to the right section at the check out screen.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 45 of 64
Beta Member

Hey all at Square. The Change... link doesn't do the trick for customers. Yes, you can say that the function is physically there to change between Pickup or Shipping. I know it's there, The problem is CUSTOMERS/SHOPPERS doesn't see it or realize what it is. It ranks somewhere between 0 and 0.5 on the intuitive scale of 10!

So, the function is built in. The coders need to move the shipping and pickup buttons from the separate change link to the actual cart. Take a few minutes to do some online shopping, and you'll see this all over the place. Whether it's through buttons like the change link destination screen, or through radio buttons, this really has to be moved. Right now it is practically useless in it's current form. 

You guys HAVE the functionality, it just has to be moved to the cart ASAP PLEASE to be useful. I actually can not commence my shipping of product because in tests, 80% of people (frequent online shoppers all) do not see where there is an option to ship.

Request an escalation, please.

Message 46 of 64
Alumni

Although I don't have an update to share about the Change link at this moment, our engineers are working on many new and updated features related to the online store. I'll be sure to drop back by to update this thread when related changes are made to the checkout flow, @burbelmaiers

Valentina
Message 47 of 64
Beta Member

THANK YOU to whoever escalated and/or coded this. Just yesterday, I added some products to my online store and when I pulled up my website just to check how everything looked, I was giddily ecstatic be be greeted with a big, clear as day box allowing a logical and clean choice between pick-up (with correct info showing) and shipping./ This is EXACTLY what I was looking for on this, so THANK YOU to the team!

Message 48 of 64

Mine still looks the same, only shows the shipping option grayed out and selected. Is this at checkout or item selection?

Message 49 of 64
Beta Member

On mine it shows up as soon as you click on my "Shop All" button

Message 50 of 64

I'll add my Feature Request for this also! I'm setting up a Square online store now and really need it to be easy for CUSTOMERS to select shipping or pickup. It should not default to one, with a hidden nearly invisible way to change it during checkout. I'm not going to sign up long term with eCommerce that does not have this basic eCommerce function, so please, it's time to add this Feature fully in a way that is intuitive for our Customers.

Message 51 of 64

This is months later People can't change to "pickup,' and end up having to pay shipping. Which in our part of the world is an expensive problem. 

Message 52 of 64
Beta Member

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: On-demand delivery checkout confusing

We would like to start using On-Demand for delivery, but find the UI at checkout very confusing and have held off on launching this feature to our customers. It starts off well; the customer chooses "Pickup or Delivery" to start the order, and then, at the checkout window, it says "Order for Pickup", with the business address below. So, how does the customer choose the delivery option? They have to somehow know to click on the word "change" in very small type below the address, and from there select the delivery option. We're sure that about 90% of our customers will overlook this, won't be able to get to the delivery option, and will be angry and frustrated by the experience. Why  hasn't Square fixed this problem? I'm sure there are many businesses out there who are not signing up for this potentially great feature for this very reason. If the word "change" was replaced by "choose pickup or delivery" the problem would be solved. Will someone from the Square team please respond to this post?

Message 53 of 64
Alumni

I've moved your post over to this thread where others have expressed interest in changes being made to the fulfillment selection portion of the online checkout flow, @rattos

While I don't have any news to share at the moment in regards to changes similar to what you've described here, I will pop back to this thread as soon as we are aware of any related updates!

Valentina
Message 54 of 64

Why is this a lingering issue within the Weebly platform?  There's inconsistency per post as to what folks are seeing at the end of check out.  It defaults to free shipping across the board for some of us regardless of the proper checks in the system to denote pick up and delivery.  This is costing an inordinate amount of time and some of us are having to look for better ecommerce platforms as a result if this isn't fixed.  Why would anyone want to ramp up to the next platform for more money if the existing platforms have this much issue? 

Additionally, the Weebly platform doesn't seem to be able to handle simple traffic.  Some of my items appear and reappear on the site without any explanation or error in setup.  It is all causing doubt as to this being the right set up for the long haul and I want so badly for that not to be the case because of the ease of use at least with the Square portion.  If we mark the boxes as pick up and delivery options within setup, the default to free shipping is utterly confusing even if we are going to offer free shipping.  It's almost as if someone is cutting corners in full implementation of the Weebly site connection.  A simple walk through from start to finish in various Square stores would provide insight into these issues.  I'm working on my site, and I'm concerned that I will have more issues to post soon and hope for answers.

Message 55 of 64
Beta Member

On the shopping cart screen my guests rightfully believe that click "Change" will change the pickup time. Either the time needs to be removed and/or clicking "Change" actually lets a customer set the desire day and time.

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 10.23.07 AM.png

Message 56 of 64
Alumni

Hi @goldburger 👋🍔

The Change button shown here will allow your customers to change the fulfillment method, rather than the pickup date/time (more on this here). Your customers will be able to select a pickup date and time on the Checkout screen, after entering in their personal details. Check out this thread for the link to our article on adjusting your pickup settings, and a walkthrough of the checkout flow from the customer's POV. I hope this helps!

Valentina
Message 57 of 64
Beta Member

@Valentina I'm aware, that's literally my complaint. It's a bad design for user experience. It should be fixed to allow the user to select the pickup time in the change screen.

Message 58 of 64
Beta Member

@Valentina any update?? i have seen many sellers complain and see confusion from customers on this. 

as an example, a customer ordered on a day i'm closed and just rushed through the check out page. he didn't "cancel" his order until an hour and a half after we prepared his meal, so i am out over $50 in food i have to throw away and provide a refund because "my" website is confusing for guests. square should fix this ASAP.

Message 59 of 64
Alumni

Ah, understood @goldburger - since we launched our online ordering capabilities, we have been tracking interest in similar changes to the checkout flow here in this thread. I've gone ahead and moved your post here so that we can keep feedback about the checkout flow in one place for our eCommerce team.

Subscribe to be notified when a new post is added to this thread, and we'll be sure to post an update if any relevant changes are made!

Valentina
Message 60 of 64

Not an ideal solution AT ALL, but this is my workaround to solve two annoying problems. Solves the confusing UI issue for people who might will think we only offer store pickup and also solves the extra 50¢ self-delivery charge that Square added recently.

I turned OFF delivery and curbside pickup.

This leaves the customer forced to continue through checkout to choose a shipping method. I added two options to reflect free local delivery and in-store pickup. I hope this helps!!

Seems like Square has left us hanging, the posts here are from the summer and we are just about to enter holiday gift buying season (HOPEFULLY!)

You are letting really us all down Square/Weebly and we really really want to keep you on as our partner! Please address these issues.

But for now... a workaround. Hope it helps someone else!

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 2.19.15 PM.png

When you go into the ONLINE shipping settings you can add additional rates and give them long titles and hope your customers will read them!

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 2.20.32 PM.png

Message 61 of 64
Super Seller

I had to do a similar work-around. I added "another rate" to set at zero dollars and labeled it pickup, because some customers could not change from Ship to In-store Pickup. I don't like having a zero shipping rate as an option, and only hope that someone who needs shipping doesn't think they can select the Free option for free shipping. If that happens, I'll have to send them an email and charge them shipping separately. 

Message 62 of 64
Beta Member

Thank you so much.  It is frustrating when you cannot figure out what you are doing wrong, only to find out it is a glitch in the system.

Message 63 of 64