x

Sub Categories

Beta Member

Sub Categories

I know this has been mentioned in the past.  I know you can use variations and modifiers and that you can have site subcategories online.  But I am a Pizza/Deli along with a Retail store.  

I know you are looking for reasons why subcategories would be helpful so here I go.  For instance in my store I track cost in QuickBooks under major categories such as Grocery, Meat Dept, Lotto, Pizza/Deli etc. I use these as my major Roll up categories- See example of Grocery 

Grocery-

Produce

Weighed

items

Non Weighed

items

Candy

Candy Bars

items

Novelty

items

Truffles

items

Local Items

Maple Syrup

items

Private label Spices

items

Pet products

Food/Treats

items

Toys

items

Dairy

Cheese

items

Milk

items

You get the idea, when I break them down into individual categories then I have to export to Excell, rearrange my rows and add roll them up manually.  

We are also Using Square for Restaurants to integrate our online Menu.  But I have to have all the menu categories in seperatly so they show on the Menu correctly and I can have correct tickets print to the kitchen but when it comes to reporting it would be nice to be able to roll up all the menu categories so I can see what the Restaurant did.  I know that is possible with Restaurants Plus but since we have both we need the retail tracking of Retail Plus.  So far I have been able to get everything to work together; with some workarounds, we have only had it a week.  But I do see reporting as an issue moving forward.  

Thanks

Jodie Patla

Joe's Jerky Pizza Deli & Corner Market

2 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: can you make subcategories

If you have at least one other category, you can create a subcategory within your Square Online website.

Head to your Square Online overview page > Items > Site Categories > click the + button next to a category.

After saving your changes, the new category will appear nested underneath the category you just selected on the Items > Site Categories page. Learn more about categories here.

I hope this helps, @hishersbling - and welcome to the Seller Community!  

Joe
Verified Answer

Re: can you make subcategories

Hi @coppermug84 👋 Thanks for reaching out! Happy to have you join us here on the Seller Community. Welcome!

We do not have any current plans to implement a sub-category system. We feel that the implementation of Variations and Modifiers offers these same features of potential sub-categories, and allow for trackable iterations of existing items.

We would love to hear more about what you would use sub-categories for! How specifically would sub-categories be beneficial to your business? - what kind of items do you sell?

I will keep an eye out for your response!

91 Comments

I sell services and products and I need to be able to track these seperately for several reasons.  When square sends transaction information to Quickbooks it all goes over as services.  How can I fix this?  I tried to export my items list from square to QB as a .csv file, but had to cancel it because it was listing every item as a service when many of them are products.  HELP!

Super Seller

@Lancer Well, I guess the first question is do you have your services and products broken out into categories already?  If you do there shouldn't need to be a sub-category.  Tutorial on how to create items and categories here.

We are new to Square.  Want to if  there is  a way to create subcategories in POS. 

thanks

Super Seller Alumni

No, you cannot create subcategories. 

thanks!

I run a service company and I would like to have categories & sub-categories  for example ( Residential Services would be a category & under that I would like to have M.E.P designs as one of the sub-categories?

Please advise hoe to get this done

Super Seller Alumni

With Square Point of Sale you can only have categories there is not an option for subcategories.  You can create more categories as one option.  Another is to create an item (as if it is your subcategory) and have variations within the item your actual items.  You will have to experiment to see if this will work for your situation.

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Is there a way to have subcategories within a parent category?

Like the title states, I need a way to nest subcategories within a parent category.  As an example in my situation, I need the parent categories to be Alcohol and Food, with the subcategories being beer, white wine, red wine, vodka, etc., with each individual offering being offered in the respective subcategory.  As it is now, if I want to determine my total alcohol or food sales, I have to manually add up the sales for each individual category.  It would really be a time-saver to be able to just look at my reports for this information. 

Admin

@jheintz21 I'm adding your post to this thread where @RHatch answered this question. I'll share your request for subcategories with the Item Library team! I see how it would be useful for your reporting!

Hey everyone, I'm using Squre quite a lot and my website currently runs from the Go Daddy hosting. 

Currently, the inventories are managed separately but there is an import option. The catch, my product line isn't linear and I really need the ability to use the GoDaddy sub categories, that Square doesn't seem to have available.

Is there a way to have the category and sub category, e.g. Toys, Toys/Plush, Toys/Plastic, Toys/Board Games

the GoDaddy platform to be frank has terrible inventory management and the real painful part is that there's not inventory export, so I can't even export and import into both sites 😞

Looking for some help if possible. Thanks!