x

Gift Cards: How do clients purchase multiple gift cards in one transaction?

How do clients purchase multiple gift cards in one transaction?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Square Champion

Hello @Kiralmt 

Unfortunately you have to ring in one gift card at a time. Square doesn't have a way to batch input cards yet. This is true for physical and eGift cards.

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Square Champion: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 8

Hi! I have a customer who wants to do a bulk gift card purchase. They want 50 $10 gift cards. I don't have 50 physical gift cards on hand, so what would be the best way for me to organize and structure this? I'm assuming these would be something I'd need to print myself. How can I proceed, without generating 50 separate emails? Thanks for the guidance!

Message 3 of 8
Admin

@anchohoney I've merged your post to an existing thread where @ryanwanner delivers the answer. Since you don't have enough plastic gift cards, you may need to do some eGift Cards if the client is ok with it. 

@pessosices do you have any solutions for this that have worked for you in the past?

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 8
Super Seller Alumni

@AshleyK @Kiralmt @anchohoney @ryanwanner 

Ok, there's a lot to break down here.

1. On POS, while you have to create each Gift Card on its own, you can ring up several Gift Cards (Plastic or Digital) in the same single one Transaction. Just keep adding gift cards to the sale, and then you can check them all out at once in one transaction.

2. For Plastic Gift Cards, you can't print them yourself, you would have to order them through Square.

3. For eGift Cards through the Online Portal, you can only do one at a time, and that would email them to whichever email you enter. This could be to unique customers, or to yourself. The downside of sending them to yourself is that they might link to your own email address - the benefit of emailing them directly to the customer is that they can link it to their email address or phone number, which they cannot do if you email them to yourself.

4. For eGift Cards through the POS, these do not link to an Email address, so you can email them to yourself or to the customer, and either one of your can print it out, or just save the page/image/email to enter in the 16 digit code at any time.

5. For an easy way to charge once and then deal with making the gift cards later, you can create a Custom Amount Sale on the POS, or use an Online Checkout Link for the total $ Dollar Amount of the transaction, and then when you make the Gift Cards, just use a 100% off discount.

I hope this helps!
Let me know if anyone has any more questions!

Pesso

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 5 of 8

Thank you so much! This is exactly the info I was looking for. I did t realize that eGift cards created through the POS aren’t tied to an email address. That makes a big difference!

Message 6 of 8
Super Seller Alumni

Happy to help, @anchohoney !

Just to clarify, eGift Cards created on POS are sent to an email address, but not linked to it -- at least that's how they have been, unless something has changed since.

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 7 of 8

Could you repost the answer to the bulk egift card question?  I can't seem to find it and am trying to create 100 $10 egift cards in batch.

Thanks much,

Christine

Message 8 of 8