x
Beta Member

Gift Certificate & Other transaction reporting

This question sort of follows on from this thread
https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Questions-How-To/How-can-I-report-the-details-of-quot-Other-quot-...

Over Christmas we sold quite a few Gift Certificates via the Square Register. But as customers come back to spend them we are running into a problem.

When customers use their Gift Certificates they usually have to pay extra to buy the thing that they want. However, when downloading the Export of Transactions to allow us to update our accounts we ran into difficulties. The report lumps Credit Card payments (external to Square - I'm in the UK and therefore have been using an external provider) and Gift Card payments together if used to buy the same purchase. Is there anyway of differentiating them?

Just to be clear, this happens when some one buys an item, e.g. for £50, and then when we put the sale through we use the split function to use a £15 gift certificate and then a £35 credit card transaction (external to square).

If this isn't possible where do I ask for this feature to be added... it's infuriating!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Admin

Hi @CannarWilm, thanks for pointing this out and sorry to hear about the frustration.

I want to help get to the bottom of this as soon as possible. To make sure we're on the same page, we'll need a closer look at a specific payment that's encountering this issue. When you have a chance, please send the exact amount, date, and time of a sale where this happened. Once we have this information, we'll then be able to have a team member take a deeper dive.

Thanks for your help with this information.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 5
Beta Member

[personal information redacted] (Was paid £15 via gift certificate and £22.72 via credit card)
[personal information redacted] (I believe that £10 was gift cert and £30.25 was via credit card)
[personal information redacted] (I believe that £10 was gift cert and £10.62 was via credit card) 

Message 3 of 5
Admin

Thanks for taking the time to provide this information, @CannarWilm. I'll dig deeper into this and circle back with an update as soon as possible!

️ Tom | he/him
Message 4 of 5
Admin

Hello @CannarWilm, I was able to touch base with our Point of Sale team regarding this issue. They are aware of this limitation and they are working to get it resolved as soon as possible. I wasn't able to get a specific timeline for when it will be completely sorted out. For the time being, you may need to consider tracking gift card sales manually.

I apologize for the inconvenience. Rest assured that we'll come back with any updates or other workarounds that may be useful.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 5 of 5