x

Google pixel 4a or 5 compatibility

Hey everyone! I just got a square reader for my at-home business, and am looking for some insight from other square users. It seems like the device is incompatible with my phone (Huawei p30) I'm due for an upgrade anyways, but want to be sure that the new phone I select will work with the square machine. I checked their listed compatible phones, and the Google pixel 4 is listed, but it has not been tested by them on the pixel 4a or 5. Does anyone have either of these phones and use a square device successfully ?

Message 1 of 13
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

@Morgansanders 

The pixel 4a does indeed have a headphone jack and will work with the little square reader that plugs in there.  Unfortunately the pixel 5 does not have a headphone jack and I have never tested one of the readers with using the headphone jack adapter/dongle.

You can get the square chip reader and it pairs with blue tooth to almost any phone.  The app itself, I have used it on all kinds of android devices that are not on the list from a trac phone to some 4 year old lg tablets.  The only downside to the chip reader is it won't let you swipe the card and you would have to manually enter it.  My wife has a pixel 3xl and I will try to see if the dongle headphone adapter works with a square swiper tonight and report back here.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Admin

Hey @Morgansanders!

I'm going to tag some Super Sellers to see if any of them use Android devices and can confirm the compatibility (as it is untested by Square).

@alexandriak @AmyB1 @bagelboss @Donnie-M @GoGoGuest @Goldneye @GourmetOnWheels @HC_Charlie @homeprogreen @JamesSandbar @jjgard @JupiterGames @LocavoreStore @londontea @MAXSDELI @MichiganFarmsta @mooretoys @page158 @ryanwanner @sugarlab @VanKalkerFarms @vinesandrushes

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 13

Thanks so much! 

Message 3 of 13
Super Seller

Best Answer

@Morgansanders 

The pixel 4a does indeed have a headphone jack and will work with the little square reader that plugs in there.  Unfortunately the pixel 5 does not have a headphone jack and I have never tested one of the readers with using the headphone jack adapter/dongle.

You can get the square chip reader and it pairs with blue tooth to almost any phone.  The app itself, I have used it on all kinds of android devices that are not on the list from a trac phone to some 4 year old lg tablets.  The only downside to the chip reader is it won't let you swipe the card and you would have to manually enter it.  My wife has a pixel 3xl and I will try to see if the dongle headphone adapter works with a square swiper tonight and report back here.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 4 of 13

Hi Donnie! Since you have been able to get the reader to work with your Pixel 4a - was there something special that you had to do in your phone settings to allow it to work? I have the Pixel 4a and two little square readers and I can plug them into my phone but my phone will not recognize them. Just wondering if I am missing something. 

Message 5 of 13

Update:

I ordered the pixel 5, and it connects to the square Bluetooth card reader 👍

Message 6 of 13

Does it work OK though?  I have problems with how the signing screen shows up on my Samsung phone.  The line to sign gets scrambled into the tip screen.  Is that part good?

thanks very much

Message 7 of 13
Super Seller

@JulieO Try locking the rotation on your phone and seeing how the sign in screen works and also undo the rotation and flip your phone sideways and see how it looks.  I have run into a couple times where a button was almost off the screen etc.  Also, square updates the apps alot, so make sure you do have the latest download from the play store.  The higher the resolution on the phone, the more real estate on the screen apps have to work with.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

MustHaveMenus
Message 8 of 13

Hoping that someone may be able to help me with my Pixel 4a. It does have the headphone jack and I can plug in the reader device but my phone will NOT recognize it. I've tried all of the troubleshooting tips, including allowing the microphone access, but still no success. Anyone know if there is a setting on my phone that I'm missing? Thanks, 

Message 9 of 13
Alumni

Hi @oakstreetcandle - Did you confirmed the device you have is compatible with Square

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 13

The Pixel 4a is not anywhere on the list - however someone in this thread with the same exact phone was able to get their reader to work. Some Pixels don't have the headphone jack but mine does yet the reader and or/phone won't connect. That's why I was asking. I've also heard others with the 4a somehow get theirs to work. I've already spent $ getting the two small readers - I definitely DON'T want to spend a bunch more to get the Contactless reader and have that not work, as well. The guide on the site is not extremely helpful. 

Message 11 of 13

Square chipless and contactless reader works with Pixel 5 except for the signing screen is still scrambled.  People have to sign way above the line.  Turning off signing it's ok but then it's kinda weird to hand the person the phone to let them tip and then they don't have to sign....could be better.

Message 12 of 13

It has not been working with my Pixel 4

Message 13 of 13