x

Hi, can i add a square terminal to an existing square POS setup so that they combine at acct level?

Hi,

We have an existing POS setup ( ipad, cash drawer, printer, reader).  can we add a square terminal that would roll up to the existing account.  would we have to re-load all the items or would they copy over?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Super Seller

Hello @petemcdVC !

Yes, you can add as many Square devices as you want to your existing setup. All you have to do is log into your account on the new device and you'll have your entire item library at your fingertips.

The only thing to be aware of with adding devices is to watch out for your cash drawer. If you take cash sales on your new devices and only use the one cash drawer, your cash totals won't match at the end of the day. Easiest way around that is to enable cash reporting on your new device, set the initial amount to zero, and run end of day reports on each device to get your cash totals.

Hope this helps!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 6

I came here to ask the same question--we're looking to add a checkout station for the busy summer but I'm thinking about using a Terminal instead of another IPad setup. I would probably use it for credit-card only sales, so the cash drawer isn't a big issue. But what I'm wondering is whether Terminal only uses Square for Retail, not Point of Sale, and if so, how that's going to work as far as finding items/categories.  We don't use barcodes at all, so our workers would have to search/find correct items on the Terminal.

Before I buy a Terminal, can anyone offer advice on how / how well that works? 

Thanks! 

Message 3 of 6

Actually I just saw at the bottom of this page that Terminal uses Point of Sale and does not work with Square for Retail.  But am I right that I can't use a miniature version of the item grid that I have on the IPad? 

Message 4 of 6
Super Seller

Hello @GezelligHome ! 

You are correct that currently Retail does not work on the Terminal, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that launches relatively quickly. 

For now though, you can run the regular POS on the terminal, and you can have an item grid on the terminal now! The latest UI allows for a configurable grid. 

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 5 of 6

That's good to hear, Ryan! Thanks for the helpful feedback. 

Message 6 of 6