x

How do I apply a Discount to only certain items in a transaction?

Is  there a way to exclude certain items from a discount that's applied to the transaction? Currently a % discount applies to everything in the transaction. Can this be changed?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 38
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Yes, you can apply percentange discounts to individual items within a transaction, but note that dollar amount discounts can only be applied to an entire sale.

Learn how from this Article.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 38
37 REPLIES 37

I'm curious about the same topic!

Message 2 of 38

Best Answer

Yes, you can apply percentange discounts to individual items within a transaction, but note that dollar amount discounts can only be applied to an entire sale.

Learn how from this Article.

Message 3 of 38

How do I do that?  I have 30% off coupons that I want applied to one item in the customers transaction, but it applies the 30% to the whole transaction. How do I fix or change it. You can call me [redacted personal information].

thank you so much!!!!!

Message 4 of 38
Square

@Sbarker - Just as a friendly reminder, since this is a public forum - please avoid posting any sensitive details. As for the how, please check out this article. It will walk you through the process step by step. If you still have question, feel free to give us a call. Our phone lines are open M-F 6AM-6PM PT. 🙂

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 5 of 38

What about to the online store? Where I'm not entering the info or "ringing up" the sale.

Message 6 of 38

Why does the percentage work but not the exact amount?  As a Software Developer, this seems fairly a simplistic change in my opinion.  Am I missing something?  Feel free to contact me directly.

Message 7 of 38
Admin

Hey @podzach2,

Thanks for checking in here and I apologize for the frustration. This is a feature request that our Point of Sale team is tracking, though I wasn't able to access a specific timeline for when it may become available. We will circle back to this thread with any additional insight or developments as we're able to share it out. Thanks for your patience.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 8 of 38
Beta Member

Where did this get to @Tom it's been a year and the discounting process is still mind boggling?

Message 9 of 38
Beta Member

Tom is there any update to this? Why can't I apply dollar amount discounts to individual items??

Message 10 of 38

I want to be able to apply the % discount to a whole transaction without doing each item, however I have a daily special that I want excluded from that.

Message 11 of 38
Square

Hey, check out the reply in this thread! There isn't currently a way to exclude a particular item from discounts, but you can apply discounts to particular items. Hope that helps. 

Message 12 of 38

What we do is let the discount go on all items, then remove it from the one item we do not want discounted. Only takes a couple of extra seconds.

Message 13 of 38

As additional info to this. As of 2016-11-16 this feature is not available in the Android version of the app. Hopefully it will be added soon!

Message 14 of 38
Admin

Hey @GryphonsMoon, thanks for checking in and welcome to the seller community!

At this time, dollar amount item-level discounts aren't available but you can apply percentage item-level discounts on your Android device. To to this, head over to your Library > All Items > add an item > Current Sale > tap on item to be discounted > toggle on the proper percentage discount at the bottom of the item detail pop-up > Save.

Hope this helps! Keep an eye out for updates, and please let us know if anything else comes up. 👍

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 15 of 38

This options isn't available on the my android phone and I have the current square app installed.  I think product mgt team should only allow functionality across all platforms if the engineers can't figure out how to make that happen leave the feature off.  It is to confusing to know what will work on one device only to find out it wont work on another.   Hard to keep everyone trained by device 🙂 

Message 16 of 38

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "Inventory / Happy Hour Prices" The author has been notified via email.

Hi there! I need some help. I’m using the Square system as a register for my bar, and I’ve had relatively no problems. But I’m having some inventory issues. 

Every drink in my system has a regular and happy hour variation. When I input stock, I can only do it for one of the variations. 

My happy hour hour special is $1 off all drinks, and if I create a discount as such, it won’t let me apply it to individual items, just the entire bill. Is there a way I can create a $1 discount to apply to items, not the entire bill? This way I can only have one price variation for my items, and keep track on my inventory. 

Message 17 of 38

Im having the same problem.  Have you found a work around yet?

Message 18 of 38
Square Community Moderator

Hi @donnellsbar

There's no update on this feature as of right now, but conditional and time based discounts is something we're actively working on. 

Hopefully one of your fellow sellers can chime in with their workaround and it gets you by until we roll out a better solution for everyone. 

Keep an eye out for an update soon! 

Message 19 of 38

I own a frozen yogurt shop. 

I have to do a discount of 16¢ per paper cup (required by law). 

But when I give 25-50% off discounts depending on specials, it is applying it to the 16¢ off too. 

For instance, 50% off during happy hour is giving them an extra 8¢ off (50% of the 16¢ cup discount). So they’re getting a much better discount than deserved. Especially when there are multiple cups of yogurt. 

Any ideas? I hate to have to manually do it on a calculator – causes unnecessary steps when it feels like there is an easy work around. 

Ive tried applying the discounts specifically to the items. Does the same thing. 

Message 20 of 38
Admin

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Multiple discounts

@tayloroni93 At this time dollar-amount discounts can't be applied to one specific item. So the 16c discount will be applied to the entire sale.

I've moved your post in to this thread and hopefully another seller can share a workaround or how they've calculated these types of discounts with you. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 21 of 38