x

How Do I take split payments on my register?

I used to be able to take payments with both card and cash and split the payments, now I am unable to split any payments even if its over $200 if a customer wants to pay half in cash and half on card. Is there a specific setting so this is available so I don't have to do two different transactions? Please assist. 

Message 1 of 4
1 Best Answer
Square Champion

Best Answer

Hello @Jrstudio !

There shouldn't be any reason why you can't take split payments! From this help article:

Split a Payment on Square Point of Sale

To split a payment between multiple forms of tender:

1. Open the Square app.

2. Enter the amount and tap Charge.

3. Tap Split Amount at the top-right of the screen.

4. Enter the Payment Amount for the first tender type.

5. Tap Continue to return to the Payment Method screen.

6. To edit the amount to be charged, tap the Edit Split button.

7. Select a tender type and complete the transaction.

8. To cancel one or more Split Tender payments before completing the transaction, tap Edit Split > Cancel.

9. To split the payment further, tap the Edit Split button and enter the Payment Amount.

10. Continue processing the additional tender types until the entire sale has been completed.

For each form of tender accepted, a separate receipt can be issued. Each receipt will display the total sale amount, all items sold and the type of tender used.

Hope this helps!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Square Champion: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Champion

Best Answer

Hello @Jrstudio !

There shouldn't be any reason why you can't take split payments! From this help article:

Split a Payment on Square Point of Sale

To split a payment between multiple forms of tender:

1. Open the Square app.

2. Enter the amount and tap Charge.

3. Tap Split Amount at the top-right of the screen.

4. Enter the Payment Amount for the first tender type.

5. Tap Continue to return to the Payment Method screen.

6. To edit the amount to be charged, tap the Edit Split button.

7. Select a tender type and complete the transaction.

8. To cancel one or more Split Tender payments before completing the transaction, tap Edit Split > Cancel.

9. To split the payment further, tap the Edit Split button and enter the Payment Amount.

10. Continue processing the additional tender types until the entire sale has been completed.

For each form of tender accepted, a separate receipt can be issued. Each receipt will display the total sale amount, all items sold and the type of tender used.

Hope this helps!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Square Champion: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 4
Beta Member

I’m having the same issue. I’ve been using split checks for years, and now suddenly the cash option has been disabled. When I put the credit card in first then it prints then I add the cash option. Followed by adjusting the tip. When I go to run the report at the end of the shift the transaction has disappeared. When I called support they told me the transaction has been voided because the system timed out. Sunday I lost $160 Wednesday I lost $230. And no one can seem to explain what’s happening. I have a credit card receipt in my hand signed by a guest with a record number and authorization number and everything. Square‘s answer was do you have the guest phone number can you call them back and run their credit card again? No, I don’t get that info when running a credit card.😡 I can’t keep losing money like this.

Message 3 of 4

Please do an instruction video for this.

Message 4 of 4