x

How and where does my employee clock in and out?

I'm having trouble locating the area where my employee issupposed to clock in/log in daily. As a result, I'm creating time cards daily.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 70
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: How & where does my employee clock in daily?

@TexasBeef - You've got it! 👍

You can also find more details in our Support Center article: Team Management

2 Best Answers
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi there @Curlygirl - and welcome to the Seller Community! I've moved your question to this thread so others looking for this info can find the answer they need. If you've already added your employees in, there may just be a simple step you're missing in order for them to be able to clock in.

It sounds like you've already set up your team member profiles, and assigned your employees Personal Passcodes - you're halfway there! If you're using Passcodes in combination with Time Tracking, you'll need to enable both of these in-app. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Visit Settings while in the Square app
2. Select Passcodes, and toggle Enable Passcodes on

3. Select Time Tracking and toggle Time Tracking on

Now your employees have passcodes, and your settings look good, so it's time to clock in:

• Tablet: with Passcodes enabled, you'll tap Log In/Out in the top-right corner, then Clock In/Out once that appears on your screen.
  • Smartphone: tap the three horizontal lines, then Clock In/Out.
  • Mobile POS: for mobile cashiers signing in to the Square app with their own email, they won’t be prompted to enter a Personal Passcode to clock in.

Let us know if you still have any questions, and feel free to check out this article on Timecard Management for more!

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 35 of 70
Alumni

Best Answer

Making sure this thread has an updated best answer..

First, make sure Time Tracking is enabled Settings. Then you'll see a clock icon in the corner of your screen from the Checkout Tab.

Note: If Passcode Access is enabled along with Time Tracking, your employee will need to tap their initials from navigation bar to view the clock icon. 

Justin

View Best Answer >

Message 46 of 70
69 REPLIES 69

Same here - how do employees clock in and out?

Message 2 of 70

We found that if we go to the register, we had to go into the settings and turn on clock in and out abilities, then magically it was there on the home screen.

Message 3 of 70
Square

@TexasBeef - You've got it! 👍

You can also find more details in our Support Center article: Team Management

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 4 of 70

Found it, but for them to actually be able to clock in and out it costs $5 per employee? Am I reading that correctly?

Kinda seems like this should be included in the monthly cost since it's tougher to pay an employee without them clocking in and out. I don't need them to have any other permissions just the ability to clock in and out.

Message 5 of 70
Admin

Glad you found what you were looking for @SocialStyle 😀

I'm sorry for the confusion about the cost of this feature and I hope I can clarify here: 

Employee Management costs is $5 per employee per month. This includes timecard management, employee permissions, and advanced reporting. 

Square Payroll costs is $25 per month plus $5 per employee. This includes employee timecard management for no extra cost. This Support Center article has the steps to start using timecards with Payroll

Let me know if you have any questions! Happy to help! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 6 of 70

I'm confused. All over the Team Management section it says that clocking in and out is a free service from Square and that if you want more advanced things it's $35 per month per location. Whats the correct answer because it differs from what you stated above. 

Message 7 of 70
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Savastanos!

Here's a helpful article from the Support Center that breaks down what options the free version of Team Management has and what options the paid option has. 

Clocking in and out can be done on the free version! But there's differences in reporting features and number of permissions for the free version. 

Ashley C
Message 8 of 70
Admin

Hello @GingerBugs

You can reactivate your employee from your online Dashboard:

1. Navigate to your Employee List and click on the 'Status' box in the upper left.
  2. From the Status box click 'All' to your active and inactive employees.
  3. Click on your returning employee's name.
  4. Click 'Reactivate' and follow the prompts to assign a passcode to your employee. With this passcode they'll be able to clock in/out again!

Hope this helps but let me know if you have any other questions! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 9 of 70

thank you, i have already re-activated her... no promps to assign a clock in code??

Message 10 of 70

my dashboard is pretty simple.  i'm the owner and i have 2 employees.  not sure what you mean by "status" box?  but i clicked on her name "Kaitlyn"  and re-activated her.  They are all active!! No other promps for codes?

Screen Shot 2017-07-21 at 3.07.26 PM.png

Message 11 of 70
Admin

I'm sorry for the confusion! 

If you click on your employee's name you should see a toggle below 'Permissions' that says 'Enable Permissions, sales tracking, and timecards ($5/mo)'. You'll need to toggle that switch on to give your employee the permission to use timecards with a passcode! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 12 of 70

Hi Helen, 

I have Square Register/For Retail.  All of my employees have been assigned to a role and I've toggled on "Enable Permissions, Sales Tracking and Timecards". 

When my employees logon at my register we don't see an option for them to clock in.  It's not on any menu or sub-menu that we can find.  Pls advise.

Message 13 of 70

Hi @zcommons

If you've enabled timecard tracking on your device, you should see the Time Card button on the passcode screen. 

What is appearing on your passcode screen when it comes up? 

Message 14 of 70

So, we have to have the register for this function? Can my employee clock in from the desktop without seeing "everything"?

Message 15 of 70

@savvygraphics While you can manage the timecards from the Square Dashboard, employees will need to use the Square Register app to clock in or out. 

Clocking in/out from the Square Dashboard is not available at this time.

Message 16 of 70

I had an employee who went away to school... so i deactivated her.  now she's back.  how do i get a new clock in code for the app?

Message 17 of 70

So clocking in and out on a desktop or laptop is not an option?  Only on mobile device?

Message 18 of 70

That's correct @Infiniti. 😀

Message 19 of 70
Beta Member

I know this is from 2016 so want to follow-up.  Have we gained the ability to have employees clock in/out from the dashboard? If not, how can we request that feature?

Message 20 of 70

Thank you for taking the time to share your interest in this feature @thebrainblair I recommend you submit a Feature Request here. This will help our product team get visibility and track other Sellers with similar interest in your request. 

Important: When submitting a request, make sure to include the desired feature, and provide the details of how this feature will help your business succeed (how would you use it and what you expect from it).

JJ
Message 21 of 70