x

How can I accept partial payment or split tender with Invoices?

Hi, 

I sent an Invoice from the Point of Sale app to a customer for $72.00.  The customer paid half of her order through the Cash app... which was something new to me.  

I tried to make a note in the invoice, but I ended up marking it as paid.  If I issue a refund, will it refund her the full $72?  She has not paid her entire invoice, nor has she cancelled her order, so a refund is not necessary.  I need to void it somehow.  Is there a way to void a paid invoice?

Message 1 of 49
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Good news @TSSPottery — you can now accept deposits with Square invoices! Head to this Product Update post to get started: Request deposits with Square Invoices. 😀

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 42 of 49
48 REPLIES 48
Beta Member

Is there a way to split the payment into multiple payments?

Client purchases item for $1000

30% due on receipt

30% due 30 days

30%/balance due 60 days

We would not want money upfront as in a financed product. We would like to record the sale full price, but have the client pay in installments with no finance fee to us or them.

thanks!

Message 43 of 49
Admin

Hi @Sasha36! Unfortunately there's not a way to mark an invoice as paid and then go back to collect the actual payments to put towards that invoice.

If you are wanting to charge a client in multiple payments, you would want to charge three different invoices that total out to 30% of the total charge and send them separately. You could also set up a Recurring Invoice Series for the client and have the invoice send automatically on the days of your choosing. You would need to calculate out the 30% for each invoice though, for each charge.

We're always working on improving our Invoices, so I'll send this feature request over to our Product Team.

Let me know if you have other questions about this!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 44 of 49

I would like my customers to make payments when they want via the Square invoice.  There are able to pay in full, but I do have some customers that would like to put $500 per month until the balance is paid.  How do I do this?

Message 45 of 49
Alumni

You might be interested in Requesting Deposits with Invoices which allows you to request a portion of the payment upfront, and set a separate due date for the remaining balance. 

But there isn't a way to break up the remaining balance into more partial payments. You'll need to create a Recurring Series and set it to send on a monthly cadence. 

@HSLabradoodles

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 46 of 49
Beta Member

So I just want to make sure I fully understand...a customer comes into my store, places an order to pick up at a future date, and I want to charge them a deposit, but I CANNOT accept payment with a credit card for the deposit amount on the Square app that they are standing in front of, the same one I just created the invoice on?  It only allows you to take credit card payment in person for the full amount of the invoice?? Really.

Message 47 of 49
Square Community Moderator

Hello @Milemarker0

On the Square app you can only take a deposit via an invoice. I can see how accepting a deposit for orders can be helpful here. We are always open to feedback and continue to take feature requests.

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 48 of 49
Beta Member

Yes, guess I wasn't specific, using the Square Retail app and creating an invoice on the app for the customer's order.  Actually wouldn't help me as the inventory for the item ordered is not reduced until the invoice paid in full, which is a whole other issue, 4 years old, that's still not fixed.

Message 49 of 49