x
Beta Member

How can I add a note to an existing transaction in my history?

Lets say, I just swiped a card and I forgot to add a note to the sale while doing so. I then go back to my history and see the transaction, but I'm not sure how I can add a note to the sale. 

Please help

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 73
72 REPLIES 72

I just want to say again, nobody is asking to be able to change a transaction. We just need a simple feature to add notes (and it can be clearly highlighted as a note added afterwards) to a transaction for booking keeping purposes. 

Other than a not yet, I don’t see why Square wouldn’t want to implement this feature. 

Message 22 of 73

Hello @Insomnia, @Skrich, and @LGcanada

I just wanted to thank all of you for sharing your takes on this feature request. I've made sure to flag each individual comment so our Point of Sale Team! 

Right now I don't have a timeline I can share or a status of this feature, but if anything change a member of the Community Team will update this thread. 

Message 23 of 73

I for one really appreciate that there is at least some kind of official response @Chad and I hope that some kind a feature like this could be added. While there is a long list of wants, this feature I would say is “needed”. 

Message 24 of 73

Adding my request to this - are you listening Square? - we have a GREAT need for adding notes after the sale has been completed. We have 2 art galleries and multiple employees working at the point of sale - since we are similar to a "consignment" situation where we have over 100 artists with work in the galleries who need to be paid when their work sells, we need a lot of information entered into the "notes" section when we click on "Custom Amount." We have to put in the receipt number from our paper receipt, the name of the artist, the name of artwork and which gallery it sold from. Our employees frequently forget to put in any or all of those things - or the buyer is in a rush and doesn't have time to wait while they type it all in. I am asked constantly by employees if there is any way to add this information after the sale has already gone through (and the customer has left). We are a non-profit with a Treasurer who does the payments to the artists, and he relies heavily on this info - especially the receipt number. (Using an inventory system where things can be scanned doesn't work for us because it would be way too much work - we change the art out every month  - and those systems are way too expensive for us.)

Please add the ability to add notes in a separate section after the transaction!!!!! We need this!!!!

Message 25 of 73

+1 for adding notes post transaction! And +1 gratitude to @Chad for tracking this thread and flagging for the POS Dev team 🙂

Message 26 of 73

Chiming in here too--as this is very old and we still don't have this feature.  Not a way to change the initial transaction, but only a way to post an attached note is really a painful thing to be missing.  If we neglect, in a rush, to get the invoice number on the transaction, our bookkeeper has a much harder job getting things sorted.  Just the ability to post a brief "note" attached to an unchanged transaction would make life so much easier!

Message 27 of 73
Admin

Hey, @kyamanishi, thanks for checking in. I went to look for an update on this request but there still isn't a timeline that I can access or share out. I will be surfacing your post with our Invoices Team and point out that being able to add a note is vital for communicating with your bookkeeper.

In the meantime, you might be interested in one of our invoicing partners who may offer additional solutions. For more information, head over to the App MarketplaceInvoicing & Services.

Hope this helps for now—thanks for your patience.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 28 of 73

I would love to be able to add a note post sale.  I sell a lot of custom jewelry, and it isn't  worth the time at checkout to swipe through a loooooooong list of individual listings.  The stuff in lines, sure...lampwork necklaces are all one price.  But custom items.....nope.  So now I have to keep a list and match it to sales ftwr each show,   it would be great to be able to add a description field.

Message 29 of 73

I have exactly the same issues!

Message 30 of 73

I have the same issue, in a hurry I don't have time to add a note, since I give a writtem receipt also, I would love to be able to add a note in Square later on the transaction when things were less hectic.

Message 31 of 73

I would also love to be able to add a note post sale. 

Message 32 of 73

I too would like to be able to add a note post transaction. I need to be able to make notes about items sold on consignment, so I can remember to pay the consignor. 

Message 33 of 73
Beta Member

Any update on this feature? It’s a nightmare trying to track my accounts when people forget to put the detail in at time of sale. Having notes after the transaction is processed would be so handy

Message 34 of 73
Admin

Appreciate you sharing your experience here, @Dhfscotland. Really sorry for the frustration—we don't have any in-app developments that would remedy adding a note to a processed transaction right now. Depending on your business needs, you might consider adding a note to your customer's profile in the Directory tab. For example, you could add a note saying something like: "Purchase on [DATE] for [AMOUNT] is related to [PRODUCT/SERVICE]."

Learn more here: Notes and Reminders. I realize this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but it will help keep all of the information within your Square account. Hope this helps.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 35 of 73

I'm going to chime in as well. It would be great to be able to add a note to a past order! Such as my current situation of wanting to put a note on a past order for an NSF check payment that the customer has failed to take care of with us. I definitely do not want an associate doing any refunds on this order!

Message 36 of 73

I would like to know if I am able to add a note to a completed transaction. I see older threads that say no but hoping a couple years later the option is available.  

Thanks! 

Message 37 of 73
Super Seller Alumni

Unfortunately, the answer is still no.  Once a transaction has been completed, there is no way it can be changed.

Judy T Shumway
Message 38 of 73

We offer custom jewelry. Customer pays for it, we make a note on their receipt of projected pick up date. Customer picks it up. 

Is there a way to record in the system/add a note to the transaction, that customer actually picked up the item. 

Message 39 of 73
Square Community Moderator

Hi @ardentgoods!

I moved your post to an existing thread within the Community that has the same question.

It's not possible to add a note after the sale has already been made. It looks like we're also tracking feature requests for it here as well. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 40 of 73
Beta Member

I'd like to add our voice to this request.  As I see there have been over 5200 views, at what point does Square make it a priority?

Message 41 of 73
Square Community Moderator

Hey there! Thanks for posting and I'm really sorry to hear the frustration regarding the turn around time for this feature request. We are definitely still tracking the request, but I agree that it has been a long time since there has been movement toward releasing it for you guys. 

I will be sure to surface this again with our Development Team and bring up the length of time this feature request has been active. 

Thanks for your time and I appreciate your patience while we continue working on bettering Square. 🙂

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 42 of 73