x
Highlighted
risedesigns

How can I add a note to an existing transaction in my history?

Lets say, I just swiped a card and I forgot to add a note to the sale while doing so. I then go back to my history and see the transaction, but I'm not sure how I can add a note to the sale. 

Please help

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 19
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Admin

Re: How can I add a note to an existing transaction in my history?

Best Answer

Hi there! Descriptions and Notes cannot be added to a payment once it's been processed unfortunately. While not ideal, if you absolutely need the note the work-around would be to refund the first payment and then charge your customer again with the note included the second time around. 

Message 2 of 19
18 Replies
Admin

Best Answer

Hi there! Descriptions and Notes cannot be added to a payment once it's been processed unfortunately. While not ideal, if you absolutely need the note the work-around would be to refund the first payment and then charge your customer again with the note included the second time around. 

Message 2 of 19
Chaos_Emporium

I also have come across this problem. I know the question is old, but I thought I would add my solution for those that are looking. Rather then refund and run the transaction again, I make a $0,01 sale with the note added and referencing the earlier purchase then give the $0.01 sale a 100% discount and complete the transaction. This is not a perfect answer, as it will throw off your data because the number of transactions is now off, but it works.

I would really like a way of adding notes after the fact!

Message 3 of 19
Admin

@Chaos_Emporium That's an excellent suggestion and one that I haven't heard used before, so thank you so much for sharing!

Seller advocacy is a big factor in our Product Updates, so the more interest that this garners the more likely our Product Team will put it on the road map, or at least look into an alternative solution. 

Message 4 of 19
Insomnia

I really do not understand why we cannot add notes to past transactions. It doens't affect on the financials if done right. I totally understad that you said we can't alter the recipt (or the original notes), but adding a post note field should be easy. 

I've often forgotten to add a note originally, add an explaination (of the charges), or I want to simply add more info because that's teh way I am. :D

Why can't there be a simple new field for "Additional Notes After the Transaction" so I can add whatever info I need. That info might just be for me, additional business notes, or somethijng I'd like to share if it came up later. 

However, having all that info in one place is paramount. 

I appreciate your time but I'd super appreciate it if you can help with this. This is my number 2 complaint with Square (but most "needed" to be fixed)

Message 5 of 19
LGcanada

I really need this as well, especially needed when I make a custom sell using the ipad, i.e the item is not in inventory (missed or new just arrived, placed on flow and customer wants it) or i'm giving a different/custom price, so I enter the $ amount on the sell, I need to add notes ID'ing the product/vendor, I'm able to do this during the purchase on the phone however, can't do with Ipad, or later on in the transaction on PC, meaning when tabulating everything at the end of the month, I have to manually enter that information (I usually have a note book to write the custom orders). 

If we could be able make notes on customer purchases on the Ipad as we do on the phone would be supremely helpful. Is there a reason this has not been allowed yet?

Message 6 of 19
Skirch

I also need to be able to add notes to a transaction, after it is processed.   would really help when I am in a hurry and cant spend the time typing it all in.   

Message 7 of 19
Insomnia

I just want to say again, nobody is asking to be able to change a transaction. We just need a simple feature to add notes (and it can be clearly highlighted as a note added afterwards) to a transaction for booking keeping purposes. 

Other than a not yet, I don’t see why Square wouldn’t want to implement this feature. 

Message 8 of 19
Admin

Hello @Insomnia, @Skrich, and @LGcanada

I just wanted to thank all of you for sharing your takes on this feature request. I've made sure to flag each individual comment so our Point of Sale Team! 

Right now I don't have a timeline I can share or a status of this feature, but if anything change a member of the Community Team will update this thread. 

Message 9 of 19
Insomnia

I for one really appreciate that there is at least some kind of official response @Chad and I hope that some kind a feature like this could be added. While there is a long list of wants, this feature I would say is “needed”. 

Message 10 of 19