x
Beta Member

How can I add a note to an existing transaction in my history?

Lets say, I just swiped a card and I forgot to add a note to the sale while doing so. I then go back to my history and see the transaction, but I'm not sure how I can add a note to the sale. 

Please help

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 73
72 REPLIES 72
Square Community Moderator

Hi there! Descriptions and Notes cannot be added to a payment once it's been processed unfortunately. While not ideal, if you absolutely need the note the work-around would be to refund the first payment and then charge your customer again with the note included the second time around. 

Message 2 of 73

Adding my request to this - are you listening Square? - we have a GREAT need for adding notes after the sale has been completed. We have 2 art galleries and multiple employees working the point of sale - since we are similar to a "consignment" situation where we have over 100 artists with work in the galleries who need to be paid when their work sells, we need a lot of information entered into the "notes" section when we click on "Custom Amount." We have to put in the receipt number from our paper receipt, name of artist, name of artwork and which gallery it sold from. Our employees frequently forget to put in any or all of those things - or the buyer is in a rush and doesn't have time to wait while they type it all in. I am asked constantly by employees if there is any way to add this information after the sale has already gone through (and the customer has left). We are a non-profit with a Treasurer who does the payments to the artists, and he relies heavily on this info - especially the receipt number. (Using an inventory system where things can be scanned doesn't work for us because it would be way too much work - we change the art out every month  - and those systems are way too expensive for us.)

Please add the ability to add notes in a separate section after the transaction!!!!! We need this!!!!

Message 3 of 73

Had anything been done yet to add a note after the transaction has been posted?

Message 4 of 73

Hi @dwelsh1 - no update to share here, yet. Thanks for you patience on this one. We will be sure to update everyone here in the event of a change. 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 73

Adding my voice to this as well. We are new to square. We run an artist collaborative, with nearly 20 different vendors represented in our store. And approximately that many creating transactions. We are doing all we can to train folks, but accidents happen, and the most common accident affects attribution— recording which artist should receive the $ from a particular line item. 

I can check in multiple times a day, and determine which transactions need repair or editing, but the correct info currently needs to be stored outside square, which is labor intensive. And, imho, ridiculous. 

Message 6 of 73

Thank you for taking the time to share your interest in modifying already settled transactions @LemontBlockAAA I recommend you submit a Feature Request here. This will help our product team get visibility and track other Sellers with similar interest in your request. 

Important: When submitting a request, make sure to include the desired feature, and provide the details of how this feature will help your business succeed (how would you use it and what you expect from it).

JJ
Message 7 of 73

Just as stated before, it's now March of 2020 and still no update or way to do this. It just seems like there'd be an easy fix. Sometimes we just need to add information without modifying the receipt for record keeping or data tracking.

Message 8 of 73

Exactly. On PayPal I can add memos or descriptions under a line item specifically rather than in the invoice messaging. 

Then even after the invoice paid, I can add a memo to entire invoice as whole without making any edits to payment, etc

Message 9 of 73
Admin

@Lighthouse @Ahousecalledhue Really appreciate you both voicing your needs here. Unfortunately I still don't have an update to share, but if we hear of anything new we'll let you know.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 10 of 73

Just adding my voice to this requirement. Also the ability to edit the item. I have an employee who selected the wrong item, but the price is correct. I would like to change the item post transaction. Void the sale is not an option.

Message 11 of 73

I am also adding my voice to this.  It's really annoying when people forget to add the note at the point of transaction and then when I chase them up we have to write things on paper.  Additionally it would be good if notes (even truncated) could be sent along with the payment so it appears on bank statements

Message 12 of 73

Thanks for adding your voice here in support of this feature, @seymourvilla. We appreciate your diligence in sharing with us what you need for your business and how this feature would be beneficial.

We will continue to share updates here on this thread as we have info to share about news and potential releases. Thanks for your continued patience! 

Joe
Message 13 of 73

Just adding another strong vote on here for the need to be able to edit or add notes after the fact 😞 

There is a HUGE need for this feature...any progress made on this SQUARE?

Message 14 of 73

I'm here hoping there will be an update to this soon. It would really streamline things for me if I could make notes with change requests, etc after point of sale. 

Message 15 of 73

Four years on this thread and no results. It doesn't matter to Square.

Message 16 of 73

I also have come across this problem. I know the question is old, but I thought I would add my solution for those that are looking. Rather then refund and run the transaction again, I make a $0,01 sale with the note added and referencing the earlier purchase then give the $0.01 sale a 100% discount and complete the transaction. This is not a perfect answer, as it will throw off your data because the number of transactions is now off, but it works.

I would really like a way of adding notes after the fact!

Message 17 of 73

@Chaos_Emporium That's an excellent suggestion and one that I haven't heard used before, so thank you so much for sharing!

Seller advocacy is a big factor in our Product Updates, so the more interest that this garners the more likely our Product Team will put it on the road map, or at least look into an alternative solution. 

Message 18 of 73

I really do not understand why we cannot add notes to past transactions. It doens't affect on the financials if done right. I totally understad that you said we can't alter the recipt (or the original notes), but adding a post note field should be easy. 

I've often forgotten to add a note originally, add an explaination (of the charges), or I want to simply add more info because that's teh way I am. 😄

Why can't there be a simple new field for "Additional Notes After the Transaction" so I can add whatever info I need. That info might just be for me, additional business notes, or somethijng I'd like to share if it came up later. 

However, having all that info in one place is paramount. 

I appreciate your time but I'd super appreciate it if you can help with this. This is my number 2 complaint with Square (but most "needed" to be fixed)

Message 19 of 73

I really need this as well, especially needed when I make a custom sell using the ipad, i.e the item is not in inventory (missed or new just arrived, placed on flow and customer wants it) or i'm giving a different/custom price, so I enter the $ amount on the sell, I need to add notes ID'ing the product/vendor, I'm able to do this during the purchase on the phone however, can't do with Ipad, or later on in the transaction on PC, meaning when tabulating everything at the end of the month, I have to manually enter that information (I usually have a note book to write the custom orders). 

If we could be able make notes on customer purchases on the Ipad as we do on the phone would be supremely helpful. Is there a reason this has not been allowed yet?

Message 20 of 73

I also need to be able to add notes to a transaction, after it is processed.   would really help when I am in a hurry and cant spend the time typing it all in.   

Message 21 of 73