x
Beta Member

How can I add a note to an existing transaction in my history?

Lets say, I just swiped a card and I forgot to add a note to the sale while doing so. I then go back to my history and see the transaction, but I'm not sure how I can add a note to the sale. 

Please help

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 73
72 REPLIES 72

Yes please! Because PayPal has the ability to add a memo to an invoice or a transaction and I left to them to come to you all only to find I'm loosing simple functions like adding memos or notes under a line item without having to create a new item

Message 43 of 73
Alumni

Thanks for adding your post to this thread @Ahousecalledhue 🙌

I'll make sure the Product Team sees your vote as well. Thanks for your continued patience while we make improvements. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 44 of 73

I need this feature too.  I am a bit confused because if I export the orders to Excel there is a "Order Notes" column as part of the report.  How do I populate that info in Weebly?

Message 45 of 73
Square Community Moderator

Hello👋 @risedesigns and @canativeseeds1.

Great question! Take a look at @EJ_ work-around and Best Answer in this thread where another seller asked the same question.  

Let me know if I can help with anything else. 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 46 of 73

My business occasionally makes partial deliveries if a customer needs something in an emergency. I am happy to deliver some of an order early if I have it on hand, but to not be able to note it on the invoice if they decide to pay early is frustrating. Let me make a note on paid invoices so I can run my business through your platform. It’s what I am paying you service fees for!

Message 47 of 73
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Lamontikon - thanks for joining us here and adding your voice in support of this feature. We field thousands of feature requests each week here on the Seller Community, and bringing these features to fruition often takes an ample amount of time and effort from our engineers. We want to ensure that our releases are not just surface level products, but the best all-around resources to help you grow your business.

All this being said, we will be sure to reach out to everyone here on this thread as soon as we have a positive updates to share in regards to notated Invoicing. Thanks, again!

Joe
Message 48 of 73

Yes, yes, yes! Another upvote for this greatly needed feature!

Message 49 of 73

Hi @Joe , we all appreciate the reply, but with all due respect, the "ample time" you mention seems like it's been met. The thread began in June 2016 and built momentum beginning in March of 2019. So nearly 5 years since it was first brought up and 2 years since the need/desire gained traction. That, to all of us, seems ample. Also, if I'm not mistaken, there are similar threads with comparable requests like this. Unless I'm missing something, it's a fairly simple request with a simple fix.

Message 50 of 73
Beta Member

Kinda funny I still get notifications as this still being issue for something that was brought to attention nearly 5 years ago. Seems to be an ongoing issue. Maybe you guys could attempt a fix besides refunding a transaction?

Message 51 of 73

Seconding (thirding, fourthing, hundredthing?) the need for the ability to add or edit notes on existing transactions.

Message 52 of 73
Alumni

@Birdhouse19 thanks for the up vote! 

Justin
Message 53 of 73

Wow! I can't believe Square has ignored this for so long. I just looked up if there was some way I can do this to a receipt on Square, seems like such a basic thing. I'm really disappointed and definitely considering switching now to a more capable and responsive payment system.

Message 54 of 73
Beta Member

Adding my comments - I would also love for our staff to be able to add a note post-transaction just for internal record keeping purposes.  It would also be great if there was a way to view/search notes with transaction details.

Message 55 of 73

This seems like such a simple and necessary feature to add, why does it not exist yet?  

Message 56 of 73

Not supporting memos/notes edit on a transaction (at ALL points of the purchase lifecycle) is such an astoundingly glaring oversight it makes me question whether we should move our business to Shopify. Our accountants are not happy.

Message 57 of 73

Hey Cory -

Though a little hidden, there is a place for notes under “line items”.

At the time of invoice creation, after setting the quantity of a specific line item, you can then click the line item and a note field appears, which will then appear on the invoice under the line item.

I use the field to note delivery dates of items purchased by the client, which aren’t always on the purchase date.

This field can be added or accessed via the “edit” function anytime after invoice creation, until the invoice is paid and then it can no longer be altered.

Though this doesn’t answer everyone’s concerns, especially for the ability to add a notation after an invoice is paid, discovering the function was very helpful for me. Hope it helps you too.

Message 58 of 73
Beta Member

Late to the party, but I just want to add my voice to the "need this feature NOW" group!! 😁

Message 59 of 73

I agree very much needed feature.

Message 60 of 73

Also agree that it would be very helpful to be able to add some note to either the transaction or the item charged after the payment has posted.   Sometimes as a payment is being made the note isn’t made but it gives our accounting team problems if they can’t match a payment to the right customer or invoice in our other systems.

Message 61 of 73

Why hasn't Square updated to allow post transaction notes to be edited? It would make life so much easier. 

Message 62 of 73

I'm also in the same situation...

Like many big companies, Square is unlikely to do anything unless:

- Most customers complain about it : then it will get fixed, just to reduce the support costs

- A competitor arrives on the scene with a similar but a better product

To summarise: If square won't make more money by implementing notes properly, & if they won't lose money by ignoring our requests, then nothing will happen

Message 63 of 73