x

How can I apply prepayments to a sale?

We take in prepayments to apply to purchases during an event.  I want to apply that prepaid amount to a ticket after the customer makes their purchases without recording it as an additional sale. (i.e. cash or check)

I tried using a discount to perform this activity, but it applies the total before taxes and therefore shows that the client spent less than their minimum purchase amount (without manual re-figuring).  I then thought to use the "other" payment type, but this makes it appear in our accounting system as additional funds taken in - essentially doubling the prepayment amount on the books instead of showing it was used.

Any suggestions for applying this amount as if it was a credit without effectively doubling our payment intake in Quick Books?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, 

Using the discount feature as a workaround seems to be the most common solution. 

This is definitely one of the more popular feature requests we've seen, so our Product Team is aware of this and is looking into solutions in the future. 

Check out this existing thread for more input from fellow sellers:

Down Payment or Partial Payment options.

Message 2 of 4

How can I document a prepay when checking out a customer, that has prepaid on our website? I’ve seen different people say use “other payment,” but would I get the prepayed deposited into my business account? Can I use this payment type, or would you recommend another way?

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @FullRange

Welcome to the Community! 

It looks like the discount route that EJ mentioned in the post above is still your best option. 

You can add a discount and name it "Prepaid Online" or something along those lines, then you can add that to the ticket. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4