x

How can I change how the business name appears on customers bank statements?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Where can you change how the business name appears on customers bank statements]

Is there anywhere to edit what the business name will show up as on a customers bank statement?  We are switching from a different cc processor to square and want to keep the appearance the same to the customer. 

Message 1 of 21
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @allisonvh13-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community 🤓.

When a customer makes a purchase from you through Square, their credit card statement shows the characters SQ*, and then the merchant’s name or business name, and the business type. It depends on the card-issuer to determine this appearance. Charges can appear on their statements in a few different ways. For example:

1. A business classified as a bakery, with the business name Sweet Dozen, will appear as “SQ* SWEET DOZEN BAKERY.”
  2. A business classified as a bakery, with no business name, will appear as “SQ* BAKERY JOHN SMITH”
  3. An individual, with no business classification, selling baked goods will appear as “SQ* JOHN SMITH.”

To edit your business name so that your customers can easily recognize their purchases, visit your online Square Dashboard. If you need to edit your business type, let us know and we’ll be happy to help. I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any questions about this! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @allisonvh13-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community 🤓.

When a customer makes a purchase from you through Square, their credit card statement shows the characters SQ*, and then the merchant’s name or business name, and the business type. It depends on the card-issuer to determine this appearance. Charges can appear on their statements in a few different ways. For example:

1. A business classified as a bakery, with the business name Sweet Dozen, will appear as “SQ* SWEET DOZEN BAKERY.”
  2. A business classified as a bakery, with no business name, will appear as “SQ* BAKERY JOHN SMITH”
  3. An individual, with no business classification, selling baked goods will appear as “SQ* JOHN SMITH.”

To edit your business name so that your customers can easily recognize their purchases, visit your online Square Dashboard. If you need to edit your business type, let us know and we’ll be happy to help. I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any questions about this! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 21

I don't believe I have the business type set up.  Am I able to find that within my dashboard?

Message 3 of 21
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @allisonvh13 👋 I can step in for @Isabelle__ here. 

Your type of business is usually selected within the activation process. If you would like some assistance with editing, you can reach out to our Support Team here. 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 21

Where on the online dashboard is the name change located? Where? Why don't you ever say where it is in these answers?

Message 5 of 21

Hi @RDREXLER 👋

You can edit your business name by visiting Account and Settings > Business Information > Locations in your dashboard.  

The link to where you can edit is included in the best answer at the top of this thread - all words that have links attached will come up as blue in the Seller Community. Please let us know if you have any further questions, we're happy to help!

Message 6 of 21

80242B71-EB0E-4BA2-AD82-8C0EDF601AB4.jpeg

Question above. That's what it's like.

Message 7 of 21

I'll clarify. How do I make sure my customers don't have this inscription? Just the name of my business. 

Message 8 of 21

Hi there, @Lins - thanks so much for reaching out! We appreciate you fielding your question here on the Seller Community 👋

I've moved your post to an existing thread that mat be able to bring some clarity to your question. I would specifically look at this Best Answer from Isabelle - she does a really great job of explaining what shows up on your customers statement, as well as how to edit.

Let me know if you have any additional questions! 

Joe
Message 9 of 21

Unfortunately, that's not what I want. I want card statement to have only my business name on it with no other word like "SQ*" and "GOSQ.COM"

Message 10 of 21

Thanks for clarifying that, @Lins. There is no way to edit having the "SQ" removed from how your transactions appear on your customers statements. This mark is an identifying stamp used by Square to classify that the transaction was made through Square.

Joe
Message 11 of 21

So I run a company named CraicHickory. I have for many years. The range of services includes restoring wood antique sporting equipment pre 1925, restoring old small pickups 83-93, a wholesale company, rare antiques collector/seller, and now a CBD business. The CBD business is under a health and beauty line of products which is growing well.

Question #1: My question is can I change the billing information that a bank/customers see's when someone charges an item? Currently it is billed under "CraicHickory" my legitimate business name that is associated with my Business Tax Identification number. I had originally thought using this would provide some privacy for customers buying CBD products. I want to change it to the "brand" which is becoming popular as per the web domain name.

What is happening is some customers can not identify/associate our web domain name which has been growing into a "brand" of its own to the CraicHickory business name. I am getting charge backs innocently as a result. 

I currently have a new cc dispute pending which is exactly that. This was discovered during a conversation with a customer. The customer has now since notified me they have called the credit card company to stop that process. Question #2: Will the "dispute" fall off as a result or will I still need to fill out request for evidence?

Message 12 of 21

Hey there, @MCHaven

Welcome back to the Community and thank you for posting your questions. 

Just to confirm - you business name of "CraicHickory" is not the name you are using or would like to use for your CBD business. Is that correct? 

There is an option to change your business name on your Dashboard and on your receipts as well. As far as, what the customer sees whenever they're are charged making the business name change will change what they see when their charged too. So that will help with the confusion you spoke about.  

If you have a pending dispute and have solved it with the customer, then I suggest the customer contacting their bank or credit card company to cancel it. I would still submit supportive documentation of the charge, just in case. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Kassi
Message 13 of 21

Hello thanks for the reply. Our company name is CRAICHICKORY and I assume it is the name that is being used.  I am not tech savvy and have been buried with business and these sorts of things are coming up after the fact.  I would like it to say MCHAVEN. I see you made a "mention" to me on another related thread so see if that helps find the answer there.

Message 14 of 21

Ok I think I got it correct now. I followed the instructions and changed the business name on transaction as I want it. I believe now I can assume that when it shows up on the billing statement  what I have changed it to MCHAVEN will show as SQ MCHAVEN ( or something close to that based on bank formatting.

Thank you so much for reaching out and helping us!

Message 15 of 21

Good Morning,

I'm having the same problem. People are disputing charges because they don't recognize my

business. name I went to my dashboard and changed my business name. It is showing up on my receipts but it isn't changing on the bank charge???? How do I fix that?

Thanks

Message 16 of 21

A local municipality had our charge on their statement under a different merchant's name.  They initially thought it was a fraudulent use on their end, but they investigated and figured out the charge was valid (from us), but it appeared under a completely name, as in not-even-close-to-our-name.

Charge appeared from: 'SQ Peggy Reed'

Our company name: Studio 3 Images

Yes, I verified our name is in all of the correct account settings.  We do use a third party studio management software, but don't think that's where the issue is.

Client told me they learned that transactions can randomly process with a generic name when using a card reader.  We didn't use a card reader for this transaction, an online search didn't show anything helpful on this topic, so now turning to the community for help.

Message 17 of 21
Super Seller

Hi @Studio_3_Images 

The business classification is correct?  If so then it seems like something isn't saving properly and may need to be updated with the help of support. 

I stumbled upon this thread that seems like the issue/clarification, but since all the information is updated maybe someone from support can help out. 

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.
Message 18 of 21

How do I know what name will appear on the customers bank statement after they pay me 

Message 19 of 21

Hi @Jdgore1983 and welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to a thread where this question has been answered already.

Check out the Best Answer above for details. 

In the future, don't hesitate to search your question first here or on the Support Center for your quickest answer too!

Ashley C
Message 20 of 21

Hi Everyone.  So, I'm on my 4th credit card dispute where the customer has disputed a charge from our business only because it's showing up incorrectly on their CC statements.  Our avg. transaction is under $20.00, so it's not worth my time to dispute these disputes.  I've received calls from at least 20 customers who have told me they noticed a charge from a different business than ours on their CC statements (from various companies all with a similar name to ours).  I contacted Square and they told me it's a bank issue and that when they release the charges to the banks the algorithm of the bank is changing the name.  This has not happened to me with any other POS system however (and I've used several) so I don't think this is the issue.  Any ideas?

Message 21 of 21