x

How can I correct a 1099-K form for the current tax year (2017)?

We need to get a corrected 1099 K form, as the details don't reflect the correct EIN. What steps do we take?

Message 1 of 50
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Happy to help provide some guidance here. To receive an updated 1099-K form from, you'll need to follow these steps:

1. Update your business taxpayer information on your Square Dashboard. You'll need to ensure that the system accepts the tax identification number and name combination. 

2. After editing your information and clicking Save, the 1099-K form should automatically update. You can confirm this by downloading the form available on that page. If you're getting an error message, please double check with your EIN assignment letter if you're not using your name and SSN. 

Hope this helps! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 50
49 REPLIES 49
Alumni

Hi @Liusshanghai - It looks like the CS team did reach out to you on May 3rd shortly after we escalated your case that same day (subject: A message from Square Support). Please check your spam folder if you are not seeing it within your inbox. Since we're not able to discuss account details over the Community due to its public nature, I recommend opening a case with any follow up questions you may have. They'll be able to take it from there.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 22 of 50

Hello Did you ever get this resolved.  I have been calling Square for the last 2 years trying to get a zero.. I found instructions on how to correctly fix a 1099 and I am still not getting anywhere.  Please let me know what you did if this is resolved so i can follow your steps.  thank 

Page 12 on the attached link shows where it specifically states a Zero return is supposed to be sent. 

2021 General instructions for certain information returns 

Message 23 of 50

I edited my SSN to business tax ID and my name to business name "as it should for tax purposes" but it doesn't seems to be updated on square. My accountant had to amend my previous tax bcos square was reporting the income as personal though it was deposited into business account. I have tried to call square but no luck. I need to correct  it ASAP so that square can report accurately to IRS.

Message 24 of 50
Square Community Moderator

Hi @OA !

So sorry you're having trouble getting in contact with us. For something like this, I will go ahead and escalate this over to Customer Success directly. They would be able to help you get the changes made to your account. Also, they will be able to assist with getting an updated 1099-K Form. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 25 of 50

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "Correcting tax id on previous 1099s" The author has been notified via email.

My accountant pointed out that I have the wrong tax id on the square app. I recently changed it but I'd need to correct the tax id for tax year 2017. Would this automatically update the form and retrigger another submission to the IRS? Or is there a step I need to take?

Message 26 of 50

I changed the tax form for 1099 to the ein and NOT personal social security number and I need the 1099 updated ASAP as the irs is showing it as personal income and my tax accountant says the taxes have already been paid on this through the business -  please advise ASAP 

Message 27 of 50

Hi @ljpraver!

I merged your post with an existing post on how to correct an older 1099K form.

There's steps on how to contact our CS Team if the first instructions don't work for you as well as they'd be the ones who can help with this.

Ashley C
Message 28 of 50

Square will not provide the $0 1099k for your social security number after its fixed no matter how many times I explained it to them. What my accountant did was call the number on the letter from the Irs and I explained everything to them. Then my accountant sent in a letter showing all proof that the 1099k amount matched the corrected 1099k after you changed to your business EIN and that the taxes have been already paid. My problem has finally been solved after this. 

Message 29 of 50

I received a 1099K from square so all the $$$ I collected are considered income for me even though I gave it to 2 charities out of my bank account.

Did that happen to you and if so, how’d you handle for tax purposes?

Message 30 of 50
Alumni

Hey @Kenroberts1205 - sounds like an EIN was never entered on your account for tax purposes. When that happens, a 1099k will be issued to you under your SSN.

Check out the best answer on this thread for next steps! 

Justin
Message 31 of 50

Thank you Justin.  I updated the account info with the 501-3c charity tax ID.  How do I get the corrected 1099K?

Message 32 of 50
Alumni

@Kenroberts1205 - Changes to the taxpayer info will automatically reflect on your 1099k for 2019. Simply download it from the Dashboard to see the corrected from.

Justin
Message 33 of 50

Hello! We received our 1099-K for the year, but I just noticed that the tax payer info is wrong. I originally set up the Square account for my mom's business, but with my info instead of hers (was going to test it out first, and ended up using it). Well, we never remembered to change the tax payer info, so the 1099-K now has my name instead of hers. Is there something we need to do to fix this? Do we have to communicate directly with the IRS now? Any advice welcome; thank you!!

Message 34 of 50

Hey @ProfImageEnhcmt,

I moved your post to an existing thread on how to correct your 1099 forms for the current year.

It it's for a previous year before this one- you'll need to contact our direct CS team to assist further in changing it. 

It'd be best to put an EIN in so it isn't reported under your SSN. 

Ashley C
Message 35 of 50

Hi there @happypets

As mentioned in this thread please get in touch with our Support Team. They will be your best resource and can walk you through on how to get this sorted.

In the meantime, we suggest that you do the following: 

1. Update your business taxpayer information on your Square Dashboard. You'll need to ensure that the system accepts the tax identification number and name combination. 

2. After editing your information and clicking Save, the 1099-K form should automatically update. You can confirm this by downloading the form available on that page. If you're getting an error message, please double check with your EIN assignment letter if you're not using your name and SSN. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 36 of 50

Hi, sayra!

Thanks so much for the instructions. It does not seem to be working for me. I updated the information on the account, and the 1099-K has not changed, even after more than a week. I'll get getting in touch with Square Support, but is there anything else I should be doing? Or that I'm perhaps doing wrong?

Thanks again.

Message 37 of 50

We incorrectly received a 1099 that was issued to an individual rather than our charity.  We used Square for a charity event.  How do we get the 1099 reissued with the correct FEIN?

Thank you 

Message 38 of 50
Alumni

This thread should help! @tboler

Justin
Message 39 of 50

I received a 1099k for a state I didn't have sales in.  It's partially my fault because I forgot to update my new address last year.  I updated my tax documents in the square dashboard with my new address and state.  My 1099k did update with my new address, but it still has the wrong state in box 6. I don't want income to be reported to a state I didn't have income in.  How do I fix this?

Message 40 of 50
Alumni

I moved you to a relate thread. Check it out! @wanderwarrior

Justin
Message 41 of 50

Hey Justin, I have the same exact issue? Any steps on how to fix?

Message 42 of 50