x

How can I create discount barcodes on products for the scanner?

How can I create discount barcodes on products for the scanner?

Message 1 of 23
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Thanks for surfacing this, @lm64 and @LocavoreStore. At this time, the ability to assign a discount to a UPC or SKU so that it could be scanned during the sale isn't available.

Rest assured that I will share your feedback with the Items team and point out how this would make your workflow more efficient. We will circle back with any other available options or developments. If any other sellers have insight to add, feel free to share any workarounds!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Super Seller

I don't think that there is currently a way to do this. You would have to be able and assign a UPC to a discount (which you cannot). I thought that maybe you could create an item called "Discount X" and give it a negative price... But you cannot. 

Almost everything we sell is perishable, so we discount things all the time. It becomes a headache when someone buys 10 different discounted items, and we have to go in manually to each item and select the predefined discount from a list, while customer twiddles their thumbs, and others are lining up behind them to check out. A barcode for the discount amount would save us and our customers a lot of time.

Message 2 of 23
Super Seller

I think that logically this would be a developers nightmare. I'm not sure how you could get a barcode to discount a single item in sequence, without discounting the entire ticket amount.  I can see how this would be a difficult feature to implement.  

Message 3 of 23
Admin

Best Answer

Thanks for surfacing this, @lm64 and @LocavoreStore. At this time, the ability to assign a discount to a UPC or SKU so that it could be scanned during the sale isn't available.

Rest assured that I will share your feedback with the Items team and point out how this would make your workflow more efficient. We will circle back with any other available options or developments. If any other sellers have insight to add, feel free to share any workarounds!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 23

It’s aalmost been 6 months from this post have you gotten any closer to update it the system to be able to do this?

Message 5 of 23

Hello @angiesmakeup

Our Product Team is still tracking feedback for this feature request. If there are any updates a member of the Community Team will update this thread. 

Message 6 of 23

So... 3-1/2 years since this was raised... this is not difficult and very much needed.  Can someone please add this to the developer's priority list or at least let us know where this is in the backlog.  Or better yet, just add it to the next sprint... please.

Message 7 of 23

Yes.  When is this available.  Not just nice, but necessary.  Need to be able to scan a code that applies a discount to specific items in the shopping cart.  Can't see that this is a big deal... Quickbooks for POS has had it forever, so.... I assume you are better then them?

Message 8 of 23
Beta Member

I think you can create a phony item and give it a barcode with discounted price.

for example,  

1 gatorade is $2, but buy 2 gatorade for $3.

so if customer walks up to the counter with 2 gatorade, instead of scanning both gatorade, 

I would scan the barcode I made up called "2 for $3"

Not sure if this could be helpful to you, but that's how I am doing it.

But, your inventory will need to be adjusted manually later.

Or is there totally a cool way to do this and am I missing it?

Message 9 of 23

That is also my workaround. Square POS lets you create variations under a main product. So I can have the same item with a different price but just name it 10% discount in the variation (and give it a separate SKU). It is cumbersome and if I was constantly changing my discounts it would be a headache. 

I would definitely like to see the ability to tie a SKU to a discount. 

Message 10 of 23

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Can a discount be assigned a SKU/barcode?

I don't think this is currently a feature-

Does anyone know if I can assign a discount a SKU/barcode? I would love to be able to email my customers barcodes that could be scanned when making a purchase and a discount is applied. This would be a great feature because sometimes the discounts get confusing for my employees. 

Message 11 of 23
Admin

@compassrose01 It's not possible to assign an SKU or barcode to an item. I'm adding your post to this thread where other sellers provided a workaround! 

In the meantime, if you want to engage customers by email you might be interested in Square's Email Marketing: you can email coupon codes to your cusotmers for a percentage or dollar amount discount at your store. When your customer visits the store the employee enters the coupon code to the Point of Sale app to apply the discount. I hope this is helpful! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 12 of 23
Super Seller

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: FEATURE REQUEST: SKU for Customers & Discounts

Would be a great help to have SKUs for both customers & discounts. 

So a regular could have a customer card with thier own barcode on - scan them and it adds them to the sale with no looking up etc. 

The same with discounts. Could be used in the same way, as a discount card with barcode but also to 'hide' the discounts so they don't have to have a button on the screen.

Pizza Is Chill

Message 13 of 23

It would be a valuable feature to have the ability to scan in discounts.  It's a pain to go into the ap and find the appropriate discount.

Message 14 of 23
Beta Member

This thread is over 3 years old. Is there any plans to add this feature?

Message 15 of 23

Just spoke with Square Support and this is still not available...How is this still not a feature?  For example, I have discounts that are set prices and it would be easy enough to make a discount barcode I could scan that would simply subtract $20 from the total.  It will be 5 years this August since this post was created, and the gentleman I spoke with sure didn't indicate this was happening anytime soon, as far as he knows. 

I don't know of a solution or work-around that doesn't require me to create the same item with a discounted price, thus having to adjust inventory constantly.   Thanks everyone.    

Message 16 of 23
Beta Member

You can't assign a barcode to a discount yet, but you can create discount item and place it in the the grid.  

I think it's faster than look for a sheet with discount barcode and scanning them.

You can make it specified amount of discount (like $1, $5, $10, $20) or leave the amount blank, then the number keypad will pop up asking you to enter the discount amount that you want to apply.

you can also set it as percentage discount instead of dollar amount.

If you have many different amount of discounts, perhaps you can create and dedicate whole page of tiles with discount buttons.

For me, I have "buy 3 items get $1 off" discount button, so when customer buys 3 items, I just hit that disount button.  

And inventory count is all good.

And I'm sure most of you guys already knew, but I'm loving the B1G1 50% off type of discount feature that is available ALOT!

I mean ALOOOT!

I can technically make the "buy 3 items get $1 off" discount be applied automatically if I wanted to.  (I didn't, because of other reasons...)

It has made our store do more promotions to get customers excited.  I can definately see change is regular customers buying behaviors depending on the promotions. 

With the right calculations, store's sales and profit goes up and customers get better value.  It's a win win situation.

Message 17 of 23

Bumping this topic - I also need this feature! We sell lots of bundled items and need to scan a barcode to discount the various bundles. While I could create a "dummy" bundle SKU - that messes up the inventory count! So we do need a discount barcode.

This is also useful for things like employee discounts, where employees can scan a specific barcode to get their discount. 

Message 18 of 23
Super Seller

Adding to this thread since we need this feature for coupons. At all of our out of store events we hand out discount codes specific to the event so we can track the return on marketing efforts. Would be MUCH easier on our staff to scan a barcode on the handouts rather than put in a discount code or have to manually look it up by name in the Discounts screen. 

Andrea with Kei Collective - an artist collective with a shop in Phoenix, AZ

We're a Square Super Seller - We're here to help!
Message 19 of 23

We need this feature already!  Please 

Message 20 of 23

Yes!  Agreed!  It's Holiday time.  There are so many other much less useful "features" that are added... but we need THIS!

Message 21 of 23