x

How can I customize the information collected at the time of a sale/donation

Hi, our 501(c)3 organization collects donations, membership fees, and other fundraising and donate back to our local high school athletic department.  How can I collect customer (member/donor) information AND their student athlete's name, grade (Fr/So/Jr/Sr), and sports played.  This information we use in statistical analysis and marketing campaigns.  Thank you for your support...

By the way, we love Square!

Steve

Message 1 of 42
2 Best Answers
Square

Best Answer

Thanks for the love Steve!

There are two easy ways to collect customer information at the time of a sale, you can either add a note to your sale or add the customer into your Customer Directory right from your sale. 

Both will allow you to add customer information to your sale but there are a few difference. Your note will show on your customers receipts and in the Item Details csv. While your customer directory will not display on your receipt, you are able to export your entire Customer Directory

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 42
Square

Best Answer

Hi @theallico (and @cutandpaste)! You should take a look at Jotform -- it's a custom form builder tool that allows you to create all the custom fields you need your customers to fill out, and then accept payment directly through the form. I believe you can embed it on your site, or send it via email to your customers/donors. Best part is, they allow you to use Square for your Jotform payments processing! So all your Jotform payments would show up in your Square dashboard too 🙂 Hope that helps!

View Best Answer >

Message 16 of 42
41 REPLIES 41
Square

Best Answer

Thanks for the love Steve!

There are two easy ways to collect customer information at the time of a sale, you can either add a note to your sale or add the customer into your Customer Directory right from your sale. 

Both will allow you to add customer information to your sale but there are a few difference. Your note will show on your customers receipts and in the Item Details csv. While your customer directory will not display on your receipt, you are able to export your entire Customer Directory

Message 2 of 42

Can you assign the customer to a group when creating the customer?  And if so, can the group name be exported to csv when exporting all the customers?

Any way to export the group names with the customers?  Or even the item names together with the customers info?

Thanks.

Message 3 of 42
Square

@BobL Great questions! Yes, you can add your customers to a group when creating your customer, you can create a customer either from your Square Register App or from your Online Dashboard.

When you export your customer list, the group name and the item names will not export in the CSV but you can add a "nickname" or "note" to your customer which will export in your CSV.

Message 4 of 42

Thanks, Kelly. That partially answers the question, but I'm still wondering how to add a custom field when we need to collect customer info beyond the standard email & phone. When people use the site to purchase a PTA membership, for instance, we need to know the names of family members. When they buy school merchandise, we need to know the child's name and teacher for delivery. Is that doable?

Message 5 of 42
Square

@kimbisheff There are two ways to record extra notes on your customers and their transactions, either in their customer profiles in directory or adding a note to the transaction. 

To add a note to a customer profile: 

1. Tap the settings icon in your Register App: Three Horizontal Lines
  2. Tap Customers.
  3. Tap an existing customer and select Edit Personal Information.
  4. Scroll down to Note and enter that info. 

To add a note to a transaction: 

1. From your current sale, tap Current Sale at the top of the screen.
  2. Tap an item or custom amount to add notes.
  3. Select the back arrow to save the note and return to the current sale.
Message 6 of 42

How can we customize the information collected via the online store though?  The customer is inputting the data when purchasing, so there isn't a way for me, as the store, to "add a note," during the transaction since I can't see it until it's done.  (Like the other two questions, I need to collect additional data at the time of purchase.)  Thanks, Amanda

Message 7 of 42

Thank you, Kelly. That helps, but (like Amanda) I'd like to be able to collect additional info from the customer when they check out. For instance, if they purchase school items, I'd like to be able to add a "enter child's name and teacher" field so we know where to deliver the items. Thanks for your help! 

Message 8 of 42
Square

@amandaVerve @kimbisheff Sorry that I left out the Online Store! Your customers can also add a note with any additional information during the check out process. 

As a note: I would also recommend adding a reminder into your item descriptions so your customers know to look out for that section during check out. Hope this helps! 

Message 9 of 42

Hi Kelly, thanks.  This could work, but I'd really love the ability to add in some custom questions (multiple choice, dates) at check out AND have the option to make answering them required rather than optional.  Unfortunately, many people would just skip through and not fill in the requested info and then I need to go back to them after purchase and get it.  Please pass my request along to the team. Thanks!

Message 10 of 42
Square

@amandaVerve Hear ya! I absolutely see how that would be useful, and we have heard this request before so we will let the team know that you are also looking for that! 

Thanks for taking the time to post. 😄

Message 11 of 42

Yes, that is really important for our business too. We are selling a pick-up service and need people to input specific details about where we should pick up from. That info is essential for us so it would be INCREDIBLY helpful to collect that at checkout rather than having to follow up by phone or email. Thanks!

Message 12 of 42

I need with information, too. I sell custom monograms and I need customers to enter initials and sometimes names. They need to be forced to enter this info as we cannot order without it, not make it optional in a note. I've also got to be able to contact them via phone when their order is ready, so I need to collect phone numbers. I also need this info available in the events, as we do classes where people paint custom cut monograms. 

I think this sort of customization is crucial for Square Online. If I cannot add this info to my orders I will have to create my on-line store in another platform.

Message 13 of 42
Admin

Hey @cutandpaste, thanks for taking the time to share your experience — I can certainly see how having mandatory custom fields is vital for your business.

While we don't have any updates on this as far as the Square Online Store is concerned, I did want to point out that we have partnered with a variety of e-commerce services that may offer a solution.

Learn more in Sean's post: Launching an online store? You’ve got options with Square!

Hope there's something there that helps. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 14 of 42

Tom,

I was looking for the same information. Do you happen to know which option on those listed will offer the custom fields that we need?

Message 15 of 42
Square

Best Answer

Hi @theallico (and @cutandpaste)! You should take a look at Jotform -- it's a custom form builder tool that allows you to create all the custom fields you need your customers to fill out, and then accept payment directly through the form. I believe you can embed it on your site, or send it via email to your customers/donors. Best part is, they allow you to use Square for your Jotform payments processing! So all your Jotform payments would show up in your Square dashboard too 🙂 Hope that helps!

Message 16 of 42

No why didn't Square tell me about Jotform.?They gave me other suggestions that weren't really useful to me, but this sounds like something I could have used.

Message 17 of 42

Yes, but jotform costs a few hundred dollars a year if you need to take more than 100 payments. 

Message 18 of 42

Marisa_a

This answer is from 2017 .  Is this still the best way to gather detailed customer (I need to know 10 things about my customer at booking)  utilizing Square Appointments?  Do they have to pay on the form?  I don't want this option

Please advise

Message 19 of 42
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @COD76177 and welcome to the Seller Community.

At this time, Square Contracts can be the best way to go. With Square Contracts you can add custom fields to ask everything you need from your customer at the time of booking. 

If you're up to give it a try here is our guide to Send Digital Customer Contracts with Square Appointments.

I hope this information is helpful!

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 20 of 42

cutandpaste,

I am in the same boat. Were you able to find an alternative solution?

Message 21 of 42