x

How can I delete my entire Item Library/Inventory?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: delete entire inventory]

I attempted in upload a file with my inventory on it from another program and it didn't go as planned. Is there a way to delete my current inventory, in entirety? It's hundreds of items so I'm hoping to avoid doing it individually. Ideally, I'd like to start over fresh.

Message 1 of 14
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Chelsee-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community 

While we don't have a button you can click to delete all the items in your Item Library, you can delete all of your items using the item import tool in your Square Dashboard. If you choose the Replace Item Library option, the file you import replaces your current item library in its entirety. If you upload a file with no items, your item library will then contain no items, which would give you a clean slate to start over fresh. 

Please try the following steps:

1. Visit Items in your online Square Dashboard.
  2. Click Import Items at the top right of Dashboard.
  3. Select Replace Item Library and click Next.
  4. Click “Download your item library.”
  5. Delete your items from the Excel (.xlsx) or .CSV template file except for a single item, or create mock item.
  6. Drag and drop your template file into your Dashboard.
  7. Click Upload.
  8. Review your changes and click Confirm Import.

Let me know if you have any questions about this by replying back in this thread. Thanks again! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Chelsee-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community 

While we don't have a button you can click to delete all the items in your Item Library, you can delete all of your items using the item import tool in your Square Dashboard. If you choose the Replace Item Library option, the file you import replaces your current item library in its entirety. If you upload a file with no items, your item library will then contain no items, which would give you a clean slate to start over fresh. 

Please try the following steps:

1. Visit Items in your online Square Dashboard.
  2. Click Import Items at the top right of Dashboard.
  3. Select Replace Item Library and click Next.
  4. Click “Download your item library.”
  5. Delete your items from the Excel (.xlsx) or .CSV template file except for a single item, or create mock item.
  6. Drag and drop your template file into your Dashboard.
  7. Click Upload.
  8. Review your changes and click Confirm Import.

Let me know if you have any questions about this by replying back in this thread. Thanks again! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 2 of 14

Hi @isabelle ,

My library needs to be replaced - I am cleaning out an inventory with many duplicate items.

My worry is, if I delete and replace with the cleaned excel file does this means I will lose items in my online store? Many of the "cleaned" items have been put into the online store with images and weights and all of the things I had to manually add after the import. So if I replace the library, those will get deleted and I'll have to manually do them again, right? I'm hoping there's a way around this..

Thanks for any help!

Lauren

Message 3 of 14
Admin

Hey @here_apopupshop!

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community and for tagging me.

The Item Library found in your Dashboard is synced with the Item Library for your Square Online Store. Could you make your changes in the excel doc, and instead of replacing your item library, just modify it? 

Let me know! 🌟

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 4 of 14

Unfortunately I'm unable to delete products by uploading a new spreadsheet. I figured out a workaround - I can delete in bulk in the Online Store side by clicking the left boxes and deleting. In the Square POS side I have to delete more manually. Thanks for writing me back! 

Message 5 of 14
Admin

No worries! Thanks for providing that suggestion @here_apopupshop

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 6 of 14

Hi @Isabelle_ ,

Are you saying that if you choose the "Replace Item Library" option, it could affect syncing with the online store? Even if you're not changing tokens, SKUs, etc.? 

I'm having an issue where I'm trying to convert items that are currently listed as separate items, to variations of the same item. They are different colors of the same item and were input incorrectly as separate items and I need to convert them to variations. It is a very painstaking process to do it through the Dashboard so I was trying to do it through the export/import option. But when I do that with the "Modify Library" option, it leaves them as individual items, but with the new variation names that I gave them. I'm wondering if this is because the "Modify Library" option can only modify existing items and add new, and that it may be that I need to choose the "Replace Library" option so that they get wiped clean and added as a new item with variations. 

But I don't want to experiment to see if that was the problem, if it is going to cause problems with my Online store! Let me know if that makes sense. 

Message 7 of 14
Admin

Hey @FineFeather 🪶 

Whether you modify or replace, this is the item information from your Item Library that will sync over to Square Online. Does that help? 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 8 of 14

I'm just asking whether choosing the "Replace Library" option would somehow "break" the connection to the Online store and lose everything. That's what I was afraid of based on your response above to @here_apopupshop. I've used the "Modify Library" option before and it did not affect any syncing, so I wanted to check before I used the "Replace" option. 

Message 9 of 14
Admin

@FineFeather If you delete replace) any items in Square, it will delete (replace) the Square Online items as well. Items for Square Online cannot exist independently. Once you replace your items, those item attributes that usually sync with auto sync back with Square Online, as replaced items.

Essentially the Square Online items will be impacted just the same the way your Item Library items will be. They will be entirely replaced.

Does that make sense? 🪶 Let me know if not, as I know it can be confusing. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 10 of 14

I need to start over with importing inventory from another account because I messed up and quantities did not come over.  I have changed the original file from the other account to include amounts under new quantities, made adjustments for sales since first importing and am ready to replace the inventory file.  Do I keep the token column blank if using Replace?

Message 11 of 14
Square Community Moderator

Hey @disneygator,

Thanks for writing in! 

Yes, please leave the Token column blank when replacing the item library. New tokens will automatically be assigned to the items your import across.

Please let us know how you go!

Message 12 of 14

This doesn't work!

Message 13 of 14

I need to start over with importing inventory from another account because I messed up and quantities did not come over.  I have changed the original file from the other account to include amounts under new quantities, made adjustments for sales since first importing and am ready to replace the inventory file. Do I keep the token column blank if using Replace?

Message 14 of 14