x

What happens when someone replies to an invoice?

I sent an invoice to a customer and she replied to the email address, I assume it's: invoicing@messaging.squareup.com, I didn't get her reply. How do I change this? Or at least get the reply to forward to me. Maybe it's best practices to just say in the notes: "Do not reply, this is an unmonitored inbox. Please email me at xxxx@xxxx.com"?? 

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Admin

Hey @mcjonas, welcome to the seller community! 👋🏻

Great question. I see what you mean—invoices are sent from invoicing@messaging.squareup.com. I tested this out by replying to an invoice and my email service (Gmail) automatically assigned the main login email for my Square Point of Sale account. After replying, the message came through a few moments later.

If your customer manually typed in (or copied/pasted) "invoicing@messaging.squareup.com" vs. using the reply option, you would not have received the message.

If your customer did use the reply option, I'd recommend checking the spam folder that's associated with your main login email address. In addition, I agree that it's a good idea to include a note with an alternative contact option in case any customer questions come up. 💯

If you're still encountering any issues with this, please reply with more information on which email service you and your customer are using and we'll take a closer look. If you'd like, you can also get in touch with our Support Team and they can take a deeper dive behind the scenes.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 27

not a very helpful reply.  grrrr...  I recently had a customer reply to one of my invoices and I never saw it.  wtf?  Why cannot the replies go to my email address?

Message 3 of 27
Alumni

Hey @Myselfe - To clarify Tom's response, if your customer presses reply to the Invoice email, it should auto-populate your email address so that you can receive their response (I tested this as well on both Gmail and iCloud). It's only if the customer creates a new email thread with the invoicing@messaging.squareup.com address that it won't go to you.

Hope that helps clear up things for you.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 4 of 27

I tested it and just hitting reply to the invoice from Gmail and I never see it.  If a customer wants to reply, it should be seamless

Message 5 of 27
Alumni

When a customer presses reply, it is seamless in that their message is getting sent directly to your email address. It sounds like the issue lies in the settings of your email account and what messages are being allowed to go to your inbox within Gmail. Have you checked your spam/junk folder to make sure they're not being sent there?

Puka - She/They
Message 6 of 27

How can I get emails from users via my invoice?

Message 7 of 27
Alumni

Hey @cheftaylahhc! I've merged your post with a thread on a similar topic. Check out Tom's Best Answer above for more information on how your customers can reply to your Invoices.

Puka - She/They
Message 8 of 27

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "Can a customer reply to an invoice?" The author has been notified via email.

I customer replied to a sent invoice and I did not receive it. I just did a test an the same thing happened. Is this not a feature of the invoice? How do I help customers if they have questions?

Thanks

Message 9 of 27
Beta Member

When a customer needs to reply to an invoice it replies to an email address that I can not read and I assume is returned to the customer as returned undeliverable.  There should be a way to set up a reply to address so that my customers can reply to the invoice and ask a question about their bill.

Message 10 of 27
Alumni

Hi @Clucas - Just to clarify, are you saying that you don't have access to the email address associated with your account? If not, you can update it if you reach out to our CS team.

If your email address is current and you have access to it, then you should be receiving replies to Invoices already. I've merged your post with a thread on how this works. Check out Tom's answer for more information on how to make sure your customers are replying correctly to ensure that you are receiving their emails.

Puka - She/They
Message 11 of 27
Beta Member

Hi @puka 

square reply to invoice.PNGDelivery Status Notification - Failure.PNGI do have access to my email that is set up with the account.  I tested it out by sending an invoice to a personal email address and when I replied directly to the email it was not sent to the email set up in my square account and in my personal email I received a delivery status failure.

Message 12 of 27
Admin

Hey @Clucas!

It looks like you sent yourself an invoice as a test? When you send yourself an invoice you'll notice you receive two emails: one with a link to pay the invoice (for the customer), and another from Square to notify you that the invoice has been sent (for the business owner).

Can you look for the email that has the Pay Invoice button - the subject line should be in the format New Invoice: [Reference number] from [Business Name]? When you reply to this email you should see your email address poplate in the reply field instead — and when you reply you should see the message in your inbox! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 13 of 27
Beta Member

Hi @Helen,

In the test, The email I am refering to is in fact the email that has the Pay Invoice button.  When I try to reply to it it does not work.  The reply to button does have the buisness name but the email address is the invoicing email from square.  And when I tried it, it returned as a failed email.

Message 14 of 27
Admin

Thanks for checking @Clucas - that's strange! Can you call our CS team to report this issue? They'll be able to investigate this further.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 15 of 27
Beta Member

I contacted the customer support team, the team member, (David L, Square Customer Success)  said on the phone that it may take 24 to 48 hours to resolve.   Here is an excerpt of their email to me.  clipboard_image_0.gif

Thank you for contacting us today.
I want to make sure we can get this resolved as quickly as possible, so I’ve escalated your case to our engineers for further review.

We’ll follow up with you as soon as more information is available.

Message 16 of 27
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for the update, @Clucas. We will be in touch with you soon after our engineers take a deeper dive into the issue.

We appreciate your patience! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 17 of 27

Were you ever able to get it straightened out? I'm having the same issue. Its going to that invoicing@messaging.squareup.com. 

My email in settings is correct. No doubt. I need this fixed too! thanks!

Message 18 of 27

Hey @sunshinebaking, I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. 

I did some testing on my own account to see the issue. I sent the invoice from my Square account to an alternate email address I have. When I went to reply directly to the email it populated the email address connected to my Square account. 

The customer will see the invoice is sent from invoicing@messaging.squareup.com, but the reply-to option will display the email address connected to your Square account. 

Have you tried doing a test invoice on your account? 

Message 19 of 27

I did send an invoice to another email I have but when I went to reply, the invoicing@messaging.squareup.com is what pops up in the reply email line. I have checked and double checked that my business email is correct and is what is saved in my settings so I can't figure out why that other email comes up in reply. 

Message 20 of 27

This is how it pops up

image.png

Message 21 of 27