x

How can I mark a Square Invoice as paid?

Is there a way to mark an invoice paid if customer paid via other method than Square?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 53
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

You're able to mark an invoice as paid without duplicating the payment from Dashboard. For the future, select the invoice > and from the details page, click Add Payment. > Record Payment > Square Point of Sale.

If your customer wants to pay their invoice in person, you can accept payment right through your Square Point of Sale by selecting the invoice > Add Payment > Complete Checkout

Here's a screenshot: 

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 33 of 53
52 REPLIES 52
Alumni

Ah I see. You're able to mark an invoice as paid without duplicating the payment from Dashboard. For the future, select the invoice > and from the details page, click Add Payment. > Record Payment > Square Point of Sale.

If your customer wants to pay their invoice in person, you can accept payment right through your Square Point of Sale by selecting the invoice > Add Payment > Complete Checkout

For now, I suggest refunding the payment processed as Other so your books balance. 

@cuau

Justin
Message 22 of 53

That doesn't work. After I click on the 'more' button, there is no option marked 'paid' for me to click on. Is there another way that I can mark an invoice as paid?!?

Message 23 of 53

I know this came up a year ago but I just ran into it myself, and wanted to share one important detail that was left out of the resolution.  The "More" button mentioned is correct, but it will not become an option unless you actually send the invoice first.

Fortunately, you can turn right around (reselect invoice if necessary) and the More button will appear with the option to mark as paid.  It would sure be nice though if we didn't have to send an invoice first to mark it as paid.

Message 24 of 53

Yes! This was an important missing part of the answer! Thank you!

Message 25 of 53

Hello @kpuserhelp! There is no fee for marking an invoice as paid and accepting a payment outside of Square Point of Sale. 😀

Message 26 of 53

Super. Thanks Chad!

Message 27 of 53

How do I mark an invoice paid

Message 28 of 53

Hi @Daled5466

I've moved your post over to this existing thread that answers your question. 

You're able to do this from the Invoices section of your Dashboard when you click on the specific invoice itself. 

Check out the Best Answer for a walk through. 

Message 29 of 53

I have used the "Mark as Paid" option before when a client paid by other means, which happens but not very often. I attempted to do this today (2019-12-28) and the option from "More" at the bottom of the invoice to "Mark as Paid" seems to be missing. Has it moved or something?

Message 30 of 53

@FSheldon thanks for asking. This sounds a little strange, but the option "Mark as Paid," should show up unless the invoice has already been paid by the customer or the invoice didn't send properly. Without looking at the specific invoice, it's hard to say exactly what is going on. Feel free to send a screenshot of when this happens and I can investigate further, but please remember to block out any account specific information as well as customer information from the post. Thank you!

AshleyK
Message 31 of 53

AshleyK,

Thank you for your reply. Here is a screenshot from a recent unpaid invoice. I clicked "More" and the box that popped up did not include the "Marked as Paid" option. This was in Safari for Mac. I also tried Chrome for Mac and it was the same. On my iPhone, also the same, that is, seemingly no option to "Mark as Paid."

Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 8.56.38 AM copy.jpg

Message 32 of 53

Best Answer

You're able to mark an invoice as paid without duplicating the payment from Dashboard. For the future, select the invoice > and from the details page, click Add Payment. > Record Payment > Square Point of Sale.

If your customer wants to pay their invoice in person, you can accept payment right through your Square Point of Sale by selecting the invoice > Add Payment > Complete Checkout

Here's a screenshot: 

AshleyK
Message 33 of 53

I guess how this is done simply changed since the last time I used it. Thank you so much, AshleyK, that solved it completely. 

Message 34 of 53

This solved the issue for me. Thank you.

Message 35 of 53

I have received a check for payment on an invoice! When I click the invoice and click more...it does not give me the option for paid! It only said duplicate, share, or charge now! How do I get it to show paid l?

Message 36 of 53
Super Seller

Message 37 of 53

I have a recurring invoice payment that failed. The invoice is set as 'failed' and I can't find the button 'more' when I open up the invoice. I need to mark it as paid as my client paid me now and I want to make sure future recurring payments go through. Please help. 

Message 38 of 53

Hello @Masilva!

Once an invoice has failed you will not be able to mark it as paid. In this situation you'll have to re-create the invoice for the subsequent payments. 

Message 39 of 53

We cannot complete partially paid invoices in person, so I have been doing the remaining balance via the checkout feature.  Now, how do I mark that invoice as paid in full without accounting for double income?  Do I have to edit the invoice to only what was paid online vs the total amount?

Message 40 of 53
Admin

@Tomahawk

Hi there! Welcome to the community and we hope you like it here. We've moved your post to a message thread asking similar questions. Ej's answer specifically gives the steps to marking an invoice paid when you've taken the payment from the POS.

Please note sometimes there are some limitations around this and our team is aware and working on these.  

Let us know if this doesn't answer everything for you!

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 41 of 53

When I take a payment using a card on file, it doesn't mark the invoice paid.  So I went in and "recorded" a payment for that invoice.  Now it shows that I have 2 payments for one invoice.  How can I correct this?  Thank you for any help.

Message 42 of 53