x

How can I mark a Square Invoice as paid?

Is there a way to mark an invoice paid if customer paid via other method than Square?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 53
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

You're able to mark an invoice as paid without duplicating the payment from Dashboard. For the future, select the invoice > and from the details page, click Add Payment. > Record Payment > Square Point of Sale.

If your customer wants to pay their invoice in person, you can accept payment right through your Square Point of Sale by selecting the invoice > Add Payment > Complete Checkout

Here's a screenshot: 

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 33 of 53
52 REPLIES 52
Alumni

Hey there @bkbookkeep - there's not a perfect way to rectify this. You'll need to refund the second entry you marked as paid. 

To avoid double entry for the future, you'll need Record the invoice as paid by selecting Point of Sale. Check out @AshleyK's post, as it  includes a screenshot on page 3. 

Justin
Message 43 of 53

Thank you Justin! 

Message 44 of 53

How do you create an invoice that was already paid for??

Message 45 of 53
Alumni

@Ladonna10

Eeek, there's not a perfect way to do this.

I suppose you can create an invoice and record it as Paid by selecting the Point of Sale option to avoid double entry, but this can cause confusion for your customer, as they might think they're being double charged when they are sent the invoice.

Hopefully other Sellers can chime in with their workarounds. In the meantime, I moved you to this thread for instructions on marking an invoice as paid.

Justin
Message 46 of 53

when a sale is done on the square reader, and its a cash call. to have to enter invoice number before payment is applied.

is there a way to do this?

Message 47 of 53
Square Community Moderator

@plssecurity thanks for asking! There is not a way to do what you are looking for, but instead, you will need to mark the existing invoice as paid if you are accepting a payment for the invoice in person. 

I've merged your post with an existing thread where the steps are detailed out for you. 

Another option to consider is selecting the invoice in the app and selecting the option to mark a payment. To do that, follow the steps here. The link is for the Invoices App, which may be a really good fit for you if you work off of invoices mainly. If not, then the steps are still very similar to what you would need to do in the Point of Sale app.  

AshleyK
Message 48 of 53

If someone pays with cash in person how do I tract that on my invoice

Message 49 of 53
Alumni

Hi @Tawanamichelle 👋

If you receive a payment for an invoice outside of Square Invoices, you can mark the invoice as paid from your Dashboard. To do so, select the invoice and from the details page, click Record Payment. Learn more by looking at @AshleyK's Best Answer here.

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community!

Valentina
Message 50 of 53

My invoices have a deposit and installments. I have a customer who made multiple declined attempts on a final invoice payment and now the invoice has failed. I accepted a check instead and just need to mark my invoice as fully paid rather than failed. How do I do this?

Message 51 of 53
Super Seller

Hey @madisonlicci 

I'm not sure if anything changes with the invoices if it gets switched to failed.  But if it hasn't, then you should be able to go to your invoices, then click the 3 dot menu to the right of said invoice. From there you can choose Add payment>Record Payment>Check.

If that option is gone, I would create a new invoice for the remaining balance that was paid off, and then use the steps above to record the payment. 

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.
Message 52 of 53

Thank you!

Message 53 of 53