x

How can I print out the inventory by category so I can easily pick out low & out items to reorder?

It is very inconvienent to export inventory to print one catagory of the inventory. It should be an option to print out one category from the Dashboard. Getting an email of low or out of stock items doesn't help much when you have a store with 4000 items. 

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

We have the same problem. Square Register seems like starting out a slick product, very polished for a point of sale system. Square becomes more difficult to use for a small business because of its total lack of inventory management solutions. It is too bad because just for starters Square Register could allow in the Items menu to change the quanity of an item (it already allows SKU, Item Name, Price and Description). The company needs to widen its horizons to think about the real world of a small business and how the Square Register needs to allow complete item management.

Message 2 of 21
Admin

Hello @xlbigdad and @Gigis, welcome to the seller community and thanks for sharing this!

I went to check on this and we don't have a specific timeline for when a print-out option for inventory by category would be available as you have described.

For now, I'd suggest having a look at some of our partner apps for items & inventory:

Hopefully there's something in there that will help streamline the process for now.

Rest assured that I'll be sharing your experience with our Product Liaison team. We'll get back to this thread as we hear any updates that would be helpful.

Please let us know if you have any other questions, or if any other sellers have some pointers in the meantime — feel free to chime in! 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 3 of 21

This was an issue in 2016. It is 2020. Still not fixed???

Message 4 of 21
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for reaching out here, @angellmedspa - this thread is still considered a feature request. While we regrettably still don't have a timeline on this one, we will be sure to vocalize any changes to this feature here so that all interested can be updated.

Thanks for your patience! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 21

I am having the same problem. I need to print out a category list vs the item list. I think it is unfair for your customers to need to purchase a 3rd party app to be able to access something that should be easy to do from within the system.  

Message 6 of 21

7 years later and we are still waiting for this very necessary piece of your program.

It would appear there are no plans to ever address this?

I have two businesses and have been considering moving to another company for all of my services just to get better support with this.

Message 7 of 21

I sure would like to print out a report that shows me what we are low on 

Message 8 of 21

Hi @J9glass - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋

I suggest following the steps provided here, by @jjgard.  You'll also want to make sure that you're tracking your inventory as well. This report will show you the exact counts of your inventory. You can also enable stock alerts to let you know once you reach the number of items in stock that you would consider "low".

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions. 

Violet
Message 9 of 21

We are unable to even get to our items. It just keeps searching and searching?

Message 10 of 21
Square

@ssrNR222 - Sorry to hear! Have you tried switching browsers? Older browsers, especially Internet Explorer, don't tend to work well with the Square Dashboard. I'd suggest using Google Chrome.

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 11 of 21

Is it STILL not possible to print inventory within each category? This seems like a basic function. Please advise.

Message 12 of 21

It would really really be helpful to be able to print out one category's inventory.  My wine people are not my eggs people or my beef people.

Message 13 of 21

I am sorry to have no news on when this will become available.

I totally get you and the reason you need this to be available. I will pass this feedback over to our product team @WoodsMkt for their visibility. 

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

JJ
Message 14 of 21

As a small business a solution to this would be really helpful. When I pull reports I don't need my full library of items, just a single category.  Its a shame that this issue was recognized 6 years ago and square hasn't taken the effort to address it. 

Message 15 of 21

I agree with all these merchants. I have 3 stores and 3 Square accounts. I looked at third party apps and so far I would have to pay monthly and they still don't offer an ability to list my inventory by category and export it for print by category. Unless I missed an app. Does anyone know what app? Also I agree! Why isn't this built into square? Should be easy to implement for a publicly traded company with deep pockets. 

Message 16 of 21

Same issue. I need to print out one artist's inventory - not all inventory. This has been reported as a need since 2016? I am surprised there isn't a fix by now.

Message 17 of 21

Hey there @PadreIslandArt while there has been no update to this feature request, I recommend you submit a Feature Request here. This will help our product team get visibility and track other Sellers with similar interest in your request. 

Important: When submitting a request, make sure to include the desired feature, and provide the details of how this feature will help your business succeed (how would you use it and what you expect from it).

In the meantime (and the reason I believe this has not been developed yet), you can export your inventory in an Excel file that can be sorted and customized to only show the specific category. I am aware that this isn't the most convenient way of achieving this but I still wanted to share it with you.

JJ
Message 18 of 21
Beta Member

Hello!  I come from the far future of 2023, where it still is not an option.

Furthermore, I tend to work through Google, so when I get all my categories and items in a CSV and I move them into Google Sheets, it cuts off everything after 4000 (or something) and so I never get to see what I've got going on in Zenith Items under the Xanthum category.

Message 19 of 21
Super Seller

Oof I feel your pain and while I'm not a Square employee I'm always advocating for more tools to help retailers. 

Not being able to sort by Quantity in Square library is a huge issue and I've recommended they look at it from the user point of view. Sort by features should not be so difficult but I also understand coding isn't as simple as "Do X"

Hopefully we'll have some solutions eventually in the meantime exporting the entire library and then copy and pasting the category or vendor you're looking at into separate spreadsheets is probably the most time efficient so that you can search by quantity.

I'm thankful that most of the time I'm only looking for sold out merchandise to reorder given our massive inventory level but I definitely understand the woes of not being able to sort by x to see low quantity all in one place.

www.PartyManiaBethesda.com
Please Require Customers to pick time/date at checkout for Square online. Thanks!
Message 20 of 21
Super Seller

@MattBeimler ;

Well in the not so distant Past of your current future of 2023 Google Sheets was able to handle 40,000 Rows.

https://www.gigasheet.com/post/google-sheets-limits-10-million-cells 

• Google Sheets can process 18,278 columns.

• The upper limit for rows is 40,000.

• A Google Sheet workbook can have 200 sheets.

• A single Google Sheet cell can store 50,000 characters. 

So you should easily be able to see past row 4000 and be able to see your in Zenith Items under the Xanthum category.

But since you have an idea on how to use Google Sheets they have a neat feature under Insert category of the top row where File  Edit etc are press the Insert   then from the Drop Down choose Pivot Table to a New sheet not new workbook.  Using this neat feature you could sort or filter your Spreadsheet on the newly created page.  If you also heard whispers of our wonderfully paid program of Excel this Pivot Table feature is there as well in the Insert tab also.  It can quickly filter, total and make neat little charts of the requested data you ask of these Pivot Tables. 

Here is a Quick Pivot table of my Square Catalog 6000 + Items filtered for 2 Categories  and Showing my Item Name, SKU, and Current Quantity

catpivot.png

To create this:

On your google Sheet click Insert the Pivot Table to a New Sheet,   Then in the Image above Grab and Slide Item Name and SKU from the Right of the picture under Rows.  Then choose Current Quantity (your business name) and drag under Values make sure Summarized under Values is set to SUM not CountA which is the Default or all items will be 1.  Then drag Categories under Filter..... Clear all selected and choose the Categories your want displayed   My filter is Showing 2 items ( triple Layers and aromatherapy categories)

Then if you want to see different Categories go back to the filter by and unselect your current selection and choose a new category for totals.  Expert tip you could sort by Vendor and then see from Vendor A what items you need to order A,B, and Z items from different categories.

Next Class will be how to use Pivot Tables to get a Monthly deposit to match Bank Deposits from Square.  Since alot of people seem to need help with that too.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 21 of 21