x

How can I request shipping information through a Square Online Checkout link?

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Feature request: Shipping address field for Square Online Checkout links

I'm trying to use the new Online Checkout Link.  At checkout, it appears that the only information I'm getting from the buyer is an email address.  How do I know where to ship their item?

Message 1 of 12
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Dropping by with a quick tutorial!

It is possible to request shipping information via a Square Online Checkout link, but you'll need to ensure things are set up properly in order for your customer to see the Shipping Information fields at checkout. The trick here is that you must ensure that you have enabled Shipping as the fulfillment method for the specific item you want to create a checkout link for.

If you have Pickup enabled as the only fulfillment method, your customer will not see the Shipping Information fields. Instead, they will see a Store Pickup option beneath the Your Details section:

I hope this helps provide a bit of insight into how Square Online Checkout links work, @JCinnamon!

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 9 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Square Community Moderator

Hi @JCinnamon and welcome to the Community!

Sorry for the confusion here. Checkout links are intended for payment only and not to collect your customer's addresses.

You'll need to invoice or email your customer to collect their address and shipping information and the link is for direct payment only. 

Ashley C
Message 2 of 12

ashc,

Thanks for the explanation.  That makes the Checkout Link not quite as convenient as I would have hoped.

Message 3 of 12

@JCinnamon

I'm sorry to hear that! You may want to look into our Online Store options to have what you're looking for all in one.

Ashley C
Message 4 of 12

Hi JCinnamon,

I have found that when creating a payment link you can click on Advanced Settings and add a custom Field - Call the custom field "Address" and this will appear as a text box above "email", "name" etc when the customer goes to pay.

Message 5 of 12
Beta Member

Hi,

I'm new to using checkout links for my square online store. I sell physical products and, unfortunately, have to use these links for subscriptions (utilizing the "collect payment" option). So far, orders placed with the checkout links show up as digital orders and don't ask my customers for their shipping addresses. Is there a way to fix this?

Also, will square develop a way to offer subscriptions within square online stores? The checkout links are a pain to use for this function (in addition to the issue above, the single payment option can't be disabled, managing subscriptions is completely separate from my square online store and the monthly payments don't show up with the regular orders). I like square, but I'm doing my research on other platforms because Square's current offerings are behind the times.

Message 6 of 12

Hey @EB2,

I moved your post to an existing thread that answers the question about shipping information with checkout links. It's answered in my Best Answer above ^.

As for right now the only subscription options are with the checkout links but I do know it's a feature request for other options.

I can't give a timeline on when they'll become available because we know when you all know and it's announced but if it ever did become available- we'll be sure to update any relevant threads!

Ashley C
Message 7 of 12

When will this feature request be made available?  We should be able to send thank you notes or premiums to donors -- why would you not have the ability (even an optional ability) to include a mailing address?  Square doesn't seem to know very much about anything accept small retail outlets -- how about hiring a few people who actually know what is useful for your customer?

Message 8 of 12
Alumni

Best Answer

Dropping by with a quick tutorial!

It is possible to request shipping information via a Square Online Checkout link, but you'll need to ensure things are set up properly in order for your customer to see the Shipping Information fields at checkout. The trick here is that you must ensure that you have enabled Shipping as the fulfillment method for the specific item you want to create a checkout link for.

If you have Pickup enabled as the only fulfillment method, your customer will not see the Shipping Information fields. Instead, they will see a Store Pickup option beneath the Your Details section:

I hope this helps provide a bit of insight into how Square Online Checkout links work, @JCinnamon!

Valentina
Message 9 of 12
Community Team

This has been a known issue that should be fixed by the end of this month (January, 2022). At that time, you will have the option to use custom fields to ask for whatever information you wish to collect. 

Message 10 of 12

I'm using the membership function for three tiers for my community. At tier one they should get a discord link and at higher tiers they should receive a server link as well as coupons. I cannot find a way to ask for their shipping as members will receive items once a quarter that I will need to physically send to the members. So my question is: is there a way to automatically send emails according to their tier membership subscription and is there a way to request shipping info at membership checkout. 

Thank you in advance!

Message 11 of 12

Hi @PackD_Pottery- Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community:wave:

At this time, this would be considered a feature request. Although this feature isn’t currently available with Square Online Store, it’s a great idea and I can see how it would be beneficial to your business.

I’ve shared your feature request with our Product Team, as they are constantly improving our products based on feedback like this. To learn more about how feature requests work, please see this post from one of our Seller Community Moderators.

In the meantime, keep an eye out for any updates, here, in our Seller Community. We appreciate your input

Violet
Message 12 of 12