x

How can I see what fees I paid for a Square Invoice?

Do I have to get out my caculator for every paid invoice?

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 35
2 Best Answers
Square

Best Answer

Hi again, @healingarts. Appreciate the follow-up. While this information is not included in the email confirmation that an invoice has been paid, it is definitely something you can find on your Square Dashboard. If you navigate to the Transactions tab of the dashboard and then select a transaction, you'll see this details listed at the bottom of the receipt. Here's a screenshot:

Hope this helps! Also, if my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 35
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @AmarahParksLMT-

You can view the total fees paid in a year time frame (or any time frame) with these instructions:

1. Visit Balance in your online Square Dashboard.
  2. Select a date range from the date selector tool in the upper-left corner.
  3. Select a transfer from the list for an overview of the total fees paid.
  4. To view fees associated with each transaction in your selected transfer date range, click Export directly under the date range button.

I hope this helps. Let me know if not, so we can find another solution or workaround for you 🤓.

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 23 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
Square

Hi @healingarts and welcome to the Seller Community. We're happy to have you. To get going, I might need a few more details to better understand your question. Are you trying to include a surcharge on your invoices to cover the cost you pay to Square for processing the payment? If not, would you mind sharing more details? Thanks! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 2 of 35

Hi Sean,

I’ve just switched to Square for invoicng my clients as of March 1st.   What I receive now from Square is a copy of my invoice with the amount I charged my client. Then I receive a notice of payment, followed by a notice of the amount deposited to my account.  To keep track of my expenses for my taxes, and to reconcile my checking account, I need to keep track of the amount of each processing fee.  So what I have been doing is subtracting the amount of my deposit from the amount of the invoice to get the amount of the fee. It’s not difficult but seems like an unnecessary extra step.

I previously used PayPal which gave me the amount invoiced and paid, the amount of the fee, and the resulting amount deposited to my account.

I’m looking for this kind of breakdown:

Invoice amount:         $135.00

Amount paid:          $135.00

Fee:                           $4.22

Amount of deposit     $130.78

Since I’m new to regular use of Square, I’m guessing that I just haven’t found the right link to get this information for my records.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Sincerely,
Marianne Hurley, Center for the Healing Arts

Message 3 of 35
Square

Best Answer

Hi again, @healingarts. Appreciate the follow-up. While this information is not included in the email confirmation that an invoice has been paid, it is definitely something you can find on your Square Dashboard. If you navigate to the Transactions tab of the dashboard and then select a transaction, you'll see this details listed at the bottom of the receipt. Here's a screenshot:

Hope this helps! Also, if my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Message 4 of 35

Thanks for the help.

Message 5 of 35

Perfect, just what I was looking for! Thank-you!

Message 6 of 35

So, I have to open each transaction to see the fee.  Nuisance.

Why can't you list that on the line: card-time-invoice description-sale$-fee$-deposit$ ?

That way I could see all invoices with their fees and deposit amounts. The way you have it, I have to open each transaction and manually create a spreadsheet. Seems like you could do a report for that?!?

Sue@VYC

Message 7 of 35

OK, I think I have found the answer. What I need is not in the Transactions tab, it is in the Deposits tab. It is not perfect, is does not show the fees, but it does show which invoices are being paid in that particular Deposit. That is very helpful. Thank you.

Sue@VYC

Message 8 of 35

Hey @VYC, I'm sorry I didn't see your post earlier.

I see how the adding this section in the reporting would be helpful. I will make sure to pass your feedback along to the product team! 

If you have any other suggestions for invoices please let me know! 😀

Message 9 of 35

Yes, this would be very helpful indeed! Has anything been updated on this front? Businesses can submit their fees paid as a tax write off but it would be very cumbersome to have to go through each transaction and pull the individual fees. Is there a way now to see all the fees you paid for the whole year?

Message 10 of 35

Yes, this is definitely a flaw in the system.  The "Transactions" list only the gross. The "Deposits" list the gross and the net, the fees are combined for each day, so we don't know the fee for each invoice. Below, the individual invoices are listed with gross and net, but not the fee for each, so we have to do the math ourselves. One of these lists, probably "Transactions," should list:  Invoice # – Gross $ – Fee $ – Net $. As it is now, it is awkward to find the fee/sale. Square should make that easy and transparent for us.  Sue

Message 11 of 35
Alumni

Hi @alyciawhite & @VYC - Have you looked at your reporting functionalities in the Sales Summary part of your Dashboard? Just make sure you've put the time frame to be the period of time you're interested in, and it will be a line item in the report!

Message 12 of 35

Hi Katie! I did get a reply from cs that was super helpful! Thank you for the follow up!

Message 13 of 35

would you share what cs offered that was helpful?

Message 14 of 35

Well, yes, I have looked through the Sales Summary. I cannot find any list that has the individual Invoice/Name - gross$ - fee$ - net$.

Transactions has the individual invoices with the gross$. Deposits has the $ numbers for the entire day, and individuals listed below. But the individuals have the gross$ - net$. To find the fee$ I have to do the math myself. I do know how to do simple subtraction, but it would be nice if the report did it for me. I'm looking for all the individual invoices for a time period, all listed, with all three numbers following. Just like the original poster said. We all know what she's talking about . . . that's the way the competition does it.

Message 15 of 35
Beta Member

I think it would be very beneficial to include the fee on the Invoice Paid email we get. I have to track the fees separately and it's a bother to have to login to Square each time and look up the transaction. I don't think I do enough to warrant exporting anything on a regular basis.

The Invoice paid email already lists the total paid and what credit card it was so it would seem like you could add a line item with the fee amount (as it shows in the Transaction view online).

Message 16 of 35
Admin

Thanks for your post @hudson2001!  Processing fees are shown in the emailed "Daily Sales Summary Report" which you can enable from your Square Dashboard. Head to Account & Settings > "Email Notifications" > check the box next to Daily Sales Summary.

But I do see how it would be helpful to include the processing fee in the "Invoice Paid" notification email as well, so you don't have to wait so you can see the fees for each Invoice as soon as it has been paid. I'll share this request with the Invoices and Reporting teams! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 17 of 35

Hi I’m not sure if this has been answered and I just didn’t understand it, but I am looking to find the total amount of fees that square charged for 2022, for my taxes 

Message 18 of 35

is there a way to see the fee charged before you submit the payment?, trying to make sure they match

Message 19 of 35
Square Community Moderator

Hey @thedd

There isn't a way to reflect this through the Dashboard or Point of Sale app, but you can calculate it manually once you know the total amount that you'll be charging your customer. 

Check out our Pricing Page to find the fee amount for whichever payment method you'll be using, calculate the fee based on  your total charge amount, and then you can head over to the transactions page to view the payment details and the fee charged. 

Message 20 of 35

I need to see the total of fees I paid in 2020

Message 21 of 35