x

How do I Link or Change my Bank Account?

How and where can I change the bank account that is linked to my Square Register Account?

Message 1 of 99
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Great Question! You can Link and Edit your Bank Account at anytime from your Square Dashboard. To link a bank account, follow these steps:

• Sign in to Account & Settings in your online Square Dashboard.

• Add the requested bank account information. When adding a name for your bank, pick any name that will help you identify the account. It doesn’t have to be the same name on the bank account. It’s good to note that your account and routing numbers are usually listed at the bottom of your checks. Some credit unions use electronic account numbers for deposits from Square (ACH transactions), which can be different than the account number on your checks. You’ll want to confirm with your credit union that you’re using the correct account number.
  • Click Verify Account.

Once you change your banking information, you will receive a confirmation email confirming the changes. For security reasons, you will need to click on that email within 24 hours to kick start the verification process.

One thing to keep in mind, verifying a new bank account can take up to 5 business days, until the bank verification is fully complete any funds will be sent to your previously linked bank account. 

To see more about linking or editing your banking information please see this video:

This post was updated October 12, 2017 to include a video resource. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 99
98 REPLIES 98
Square

Best Answer

Great Question! You can Link and Edit your Bank Account at anytime from your Square Dashboard. To link a bank account, follow these steps:

• Sign in to Account & Settings in your online Square Dashboard.

• Add the requested bank account information. When adding a name for your bank, pick any name that will help you identify the account. It doesn’t have to be the same name on the bank account. It’s good to note that your account and routing numbers are usually listed at the bottom of your checks. Some credit unions use electronic account numbers for deposits from Square (ACH transactions), which can be different than the account number on your checks. You’ll want to confirm with your credit union that you’re using the correct account number.
  • Click Verify Account.

Once you change your banking information, you will receive a confirmation email confirming the changes. For security reasons, you will need to click on that email within 24 hours to kick start the verification process.

One thing to keep in mind, verifying a new bank account can take up to 5 business days, until the bank verification is fully complete any funds will be sent to your previously linked bank account. 

To see more about linking or editing your banking information please see this video:

This post was updated October 12, 2017 to include a video resource. 

Message 2 of 99

I changed bank accounts, and it said I would get an email to click on as you said, but that never came, anywhere, to any folders, spam trash or otherwise. Please help. I had tried this a month ago too, and never saw the email so figured I had misread it. The verification did not go through therefore, and it reverted back to the old bank account, which is a closed bank account. Please help 

Message 3 of 99
Square Community Moderator

@jbolinder80 you might need to contact our Support Team directly so they can help you out. 

Message 4 of 99

Ok I'll do that. waited over night. Email still not in any folders, spam, trash, etc. No where to be found. Thanks

Message 5 of 99

mobete: I wrote in the new account number I want to change to and square went to the old account again to verify - it needs to go to the new account.  I also do not have "add account" under my settings. jfw

Message 6 of 99
Alumni

Hey @mobete - If you're having trouble linking your bank account, I recommend reaching out to our CS team so they can take a look at your account. Because of the public nature of the Community, we're unable to discuss account specifics here.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 7 of 99

I have the exact same issue.  Were you able to resolve this?  

Message 8 of 99
Square

Hi @RyanRhoten, we're unable to look into account specifics here in the Community, so if you're still having trouble updating your bank please contact our Support team directly. Thanks!

Message 9 of 99

Hi Kelly, I'm wondering if you can help me. I haven't used Square for about a year, and now that I'm logged on I want to confirm my bank account. However, although I do know how to get to it (account & settings-> change bank account), it will not open the bank account window. I have tried this from the app, from a tablet on the website, and from desktop on two computers. I can click and open the other options under account & settings (get free processing doesn't work either), but bank account does nothing. I also typed in this supposed linked url https://squareup.com/dashboard/business/bank-account but it just takes me back to the dashboard.

I would like to use Square tomorrow but am uncertain it is operable. Please help. Thanks.

Message 10 of 99

I'm trying tofind out if i can link my American Express Blue bird Debit card to my square account since i have an account # and a routing #.

Message 11 of 99

Hello @Bigdog5856, currently we do not support American Express Blue Bird accounts as a deposit method. At this time you are not able to link a prepaid debit card. 

Message 12 of 99

Yeah But wat if it does not get verified wat do I do then 

Message 13 of 99
Square

@Casper - Bank verification can fail for a number of reasons: if your bank account is non-transactional and we can’t deposit and debit from it, if you have insufficient funds in your bank account when we try to verify the account, or if there was a typo entered when you input your bank information. Your bank may also require an ACH number from Square. If your bank failed due to any of the reasons above, learn how to fix a failed bank verification

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 14 of 99

Still doesn't want to varitfy my band information. Are certain banks not accepting Square?

Message 15 of 99
Square

Hi @UrbanromantK, as I mentioned above, Bank verification can fail for a number of reasons: if your bank account is non-transactional and we can’t deposit and debit from it, if you have insufficient funds in your bank account when we try to verify the account, or if there was a typo entered when you input your bank information. Your bank may also require an ACH number from Square. If your bank failed due to any of the reasons above, learn how to fix a failed bank verification. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 16 of 99

If I change my bank account say today and I run a credit card through, will it go to my old bank account before this one gets activated?

Message 17 of 99
Alumni

Hi @garylax

The bank verification process can take up to 5 business days. During the verification process, deposits will continue to be sent to your existing linked bank account. 

If your existing bank is closed, we can hold your funds until the new bank is linked. Please contact our Support Team directly for help with this. 

Message 18 of 99

I am not getting the Bank Account option in settings, what can I do? Im Stuck!!!!!

Message 19 of 99

How can I get my bank account verified!

Message 20 of 99
Square Community Moderator

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: “I cant get my bank account verified”. The original author has been notified via email.

Hi @Kia74

I've moved your post over to this existing thread. The Best Answer in this thread goes through the details of adding a bank account as well as how the verification process works. 

The verification process can take up to 5 business days, and any funds will be sent to your previously linked bank account. 

Message 21 of 99