x

How do I accept checks as payment?

How to accept checks as payment on a square?

Message 1 of 42
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

@Ron - Thanks for the help with this one!

@cla - For more details on this process, check out this Support Center article that covers accepting cash, checks, and other tenders. Please keep in mind that when you accept other tender types, Square doesn’t process any funds and functions only as an organizational tool. You'll still need to cash the check with your bank. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

Message 2 of 42
Alumni

Hi @chnydam, you can use Register to track checks and other types of payments. We don't process checks but function as an organizational tool.

When you ring up a sale, tap Charge and then Other Payment Method (or Other) on your smartphone.

This article has more info on the topic: http://squ.re/1H4b0Ee

Message 3 of 42
Super Seller Alumni

At checkout we would use Other Tender.

Message 4 of 42
Square

Best Answer

@Ron - Thanks for the help with this one!

@cla - For more details on this process, check out this Support Center article that covers accepting cash, checks, and other tenders. Please keep in mind that when you accept other tender types, Square doesn’t process any funds and functions only as an organizational tool. You'll still need to cash the check with your bank. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 5 of 42

Can we deposit checks to the square cards with our mobile devices

Message 6 of 42
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @rubybenavidez7 - thanks for reaching out here on the Community! We appreciate you stopping in to add your voice.

I've gone ahead and merged your post with a Similar Thread of Sellers who were also inquiring about using Square to deposit checks. We currently do not offer the ability to be able to cash checks from a mobile device or through Square in general. For more information on how to accept checks for record keeping purposes, I would take look at Sean's Best Answer

Let me know if you have any additional questions! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 42

If you have a Square Checking
account, you can make check
deposits, and add money to your
checking account right from your Point
of Sale app.
Follow these steps:
1. Update to the latest version of the
Point of Sale app > go to Balance.
2. Select Add Money.
3. Select Mobile Check Deposit.
4. Enter the amount of the check.
5. Endorse the back of your check,
and write "For Square mobile deposit
only" below your signature.
6. Take a picture of the front and back
of the check using a dark background,
and click Submit.
7. Keep your check in a safe place for
two weeks before discarding it.

Message 8 of 42

We played with this feature at our gig tonight. Enter amount, select charge, scroll down and select 'Other Payment'. This takes you to the next screen showing three options: Check, Gift Card, and Other. Select Check. Done!

Message 9 of 42

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "Checks" The author has been notified via email.

How do I accept checks

Message 10 of 42

How I keep my accounting records with square for all kinds of payments

Message 11 of 42
Super Seller

you can accept checks and other forms of payments thru square and mark transactions as paid by using "check" or "other payment types" options when you hit the charge button after adding the items to your transaction.  

accepting checks in square is just for organizational purposes and you will still need to process the check with your bank for deposit.

Message 12 of 42

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: My customer paid us in a check can I still deposit it in square

My customer paid us in check how can I deposit checks on square

Message 13 of 42
Super Seller

Not 100% sure what you are asking.

If you are asking how to document the check payment this article explains how to use cash and check payments.  https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5177-accept-cash-checks-and-other-tender

as for depositing a check, you would have to do that in your bank account directly and Square doesn't do anything with depositing checks or cash.

Message 14 of 42

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Do we have merchant services to check on a check of it's good or bad?

Do we have a way to check on checks submitted if they good or bad how do we check

Message 15 of 42
Super Seller

Message 16 of 42

This reply was created from merging an existing thread

Is there a check reader?

Message 17 of 42
Super Seller

Message 18 of 42

Is their a way to accept payments from customers who only has a check? 

Message 19 of 42

Yes, but square won't deposit the check for you, you will have to do this yourself with a mobile banking app or going to a branch.

In square, when you press charge you should see other options. Cash, Manual Credit Card Entry, Invoice, Check, ect.

Sometimes check is listed under "more" or "other"

You would press this and you can type in the check number is you so please. Then place the check with your cash deposit and next time you are at a bank deposit it.

Message 20 of 42
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for the alley-oop here, @CaseyTreehouse 🙌

The answer above is spot on, @Alecialyle! Let me know if you have any additional questions. We are here to help!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 21 of 42