x

How can I accept HSA or FSA cards with Square?

We are a therapuetic program and have many clients who want to use their Health Savings Account (HSA).  However, when we swipe their cards or manually put the numbers in, the cards are declined.  How do we fix this problem?  Do the customers need to contact their HSA?

Thanks so much.

Message 1 of 84
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @sallyjanemixon, great question!

Licensed health care providers can process HSA cards just like any other cards. If you selected the Medical Practitioner, Medical Services, or Dentistry business category when you signed up, you shouldn't have any issue accepting these cards. If you believe your business category needs to be updated, just get in touch with our Support Team. Once they collect some details, they'll be able to adjust your business type

You can check out this article has more info about accepting HSA/FSA cards. 

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 84
83 REPLIES 83

I can't accept cc payments from many cards linked to health savings accounts.  How to fix this?

Message 43 of 84
Square

Hi @DavidCremer — It looks like another seller had the same question, and received an answer. It sounds like your MCC may need to be updated. Please reach out directly so we can take a closer look. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 44 of 84

Health savings plans and change my practice to medical

Message 45 of 84
Square

Hi @Stacey123 — It looks like another seller had the same question, and received an answer. Check out the "Best Answer" on page 1 of this thread for more details. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 46 of 84

I have a different problem.  My Square Reader can take the FSA and HSA cards but then when the receipt hits the HR departments they say the receipts are not detailed enough for the process to go through.  Is there a way to set up Square so that we can include the patient name on the receipt?  That's the main complaint...no patient name on the receipt. 

Message 47 of 84
Square Community Moderator

@BrianWah Hi there. 

The cardholders name should appear on the digital receipt so long as the payment is swiped or dipped through a reader. 

For other styles of payment, you can add a customer name by using the "Note" feature.

Message 48 of 84

I am a Psychologist and just had The Square team change my MCC to Medical today. I have a patient who sent in their HSA debit card on her statement (I have to manually enter the card) and it got denied. The Support team indicated that from this point forward the client information for a recipt would have to be manually enetered. I ran my own debit card for 1.000 and my info automatically showed up. Does it take 24 hours after they change the MCC code? Any other reasons why when I. Enter the HDA manually it would be declined if my MCC code is now medical?

Thanks,

PSH

Message 49 of 84
Square

Hi @PSH, if you've updated your MCC, the change will be immediate, however cards can decline for other reasons - invalid info, insufficient funds, etc. If customer's card still declines, it's generally best for them to contact their card-issuer for specifics. Otherwise, if you contact our Support team directly, we may be able see why. Thanks!

Message 50 of 84

can I take health savings account credit cards with the Square?

Message 51 of 84

Can I take health savings account credit cards with the Square?

Message 52 of 84
Alumni

Hi @Bob23,

I've merged your question with this thread that should answer your question. If not, feel free to let us know!

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 53 of 84

My square will decline Health Saving Fund Cards because my processor code is not listed under Health Care. Please advise how to change. 

Message 54 of 84

Hello @JessicaFlint, sorry no one got back to you! 

This question has been asked a couple times before. Check out George's answer on the first page! 😄

Message 55 of 84

Thank you!!

Message 56 of 84

I am a psychologist so new to Square that I don't even know most of what it is I don't know.  But I do have two early issues:  Is there a way to have "health professional" provided as one of the classifications given for creating an account?  It makes a  difference for patient record-keeping for taxes.  Also, patients are increasingly in possession of bank cards that tap directly into health saving accounts/flexible spending accounts.  Can I process charges on these cards using Square?  Thank you for your help, whomever has already taken on these matters!  Happy new year!

Message 57 of 84
Alumni

Welcome to Square, @shrinkdz🎉

Your question seems similar to those asked here and I believe the answers cover both your questions. Check out the first page for the best answer which talks about the different classifications for medical businesses and how to accept HSA/FSA cards. 

If you need to change your business category, give our Support Team a call and they can help you out!

Message 58 of 84

How can I verify if my account is set up as a health care provider to except HSA payments?

Message 59 of 84
Alumni

Hi @InTouch - Our Support Team can help you with that! George's answer on the first page has some more information about how to change your MCC too so that, as a registered medical oriented business, you can accept HSA cards.

Message 60 of 84

Thank you for your response! I'm guessing I just need to get ahold of support. I believe I have already signed up but just wanted to confirm and was wondering if there was a way to do that.

Message 61 of 84
Admin

Hello @InTouch! Just to confirm — our Support team will be able to help! There isn't a way to check or change your MCC from the Square Dashboard or app at this time. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 62 of 84

Thank you! I thought I was crazy for not being able to find it LOL! I have emailed support and just waiting for response!

Message 63 of 84