x

How do I accept payment for an invoice using the Square POS app?

Please: how to apply payment to an invoice using the Square POS? We had a customer come in with their invoice and wanted to pay it in-store. How to?

We took care of it by creating a new sale with the items and discounts, just to help the customer and keep the store running smoothly. But when they come in and want to use their credit card, they want to pay it on the spot. AND they want a receipt. There's no option for paying an invoice in-person.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 150
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: How do I accept payment for an invoice using the Square POS app?

@bfmovingco 

This feature was rolled out to all accounts over the summer and into Retail and Appointments in late September. You should see the option to take a partial payments on an invoice in your Square POS on Android and all devices at this time.

You should be able to follow the steps in this article to take payments in person from your device. Android

To process an in-person card payment for a deposit or partial balance, follow these steps: 

1. Open the Square Point of Sale or Square Invoices app
  2. Select the desired invoice
  3. Tap Add Payment
  4. Enter or Select the payment amount 
  5. Tap Next
  6. Select the appropriate payment method
  7. Continue the check out flow

Note: Currently, tipping is only available as a percentage of the final invoice payment.

Please let me know if you have further questions or are experiencing issues with this. Happy to help.

1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

@bfmovingco 

This feature was rolled out to all accounts over the summer and into Retail and Appointments in late September. You should see the option to take a partial payments on an invoice in your Square POS on Android and all devices at this time.

You should be able to follow the steps in this article to take payments in person from your device. Android

To process an in-person card payment for a deposit or partial balance, follow these steps: 

1. Open the Square Point of Sale or Square Invoices app
  2. Select the desired invoice
  3. Tap Add Payment
  4. Enter or Select the payment amount 
  5. Tap Next
  6. Select the appropriate payment method
  7. Continue the check out flow

Note: Currently, tipping is only available as a percentage of the final invoice payment.

Please let me know if you have further questions or are experiencing issues with this. Happy to help.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc

View Best Answer >

Message 135 of 150
149 REPLIES 149
Beta Member

Is there a way to add a tip to the total invoice, not just the remaining balance?

Message 148 of 150
Alumni

You'll need to enable tipping at the bottom of the invoice on the edit invoice screen. Your client will see an option to tip. I'm not sure if you're able to enable tipping for an invoice that's been partially paid. Test it out to confirm and let me know! 

@EventsAtCNC

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 149 of 150
Beta Member

We require a 50% deposit. They can choose to tip at the time of deposit but I've never had someone add the tip ahead of time. When they check out and pay their final invoice it prompts them to tip but only suggests % based on the remaining balance. It's not a huge issue but I've had enough customers only tip on half of their invoice so I just try and remind them to tip on the whole amount.

Message 150 of 150