x

How do I add a surcharge to a sale?

This post has been edited by a moderator. Learn more about Square's fees in our Support Center.

How do I add the fee to the customers bill?

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 260
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Good news! We launched a 'Service Charge' feature in the US! Check out more information here

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 193 of 260
259 REPLIES 259

Is there a way to add a fee to credit card sales only and not cash sales?

As I am a small retailer, I would like to pass on credit card processing fees to the customer. Is there a way to automatically do this on square?

I have seen options of adding a modifier as a percentage but I think that would apply to all sales and not only credit card sales. I also saw that someone suggested that I could manually add a fee, but that would be entirely too burdensome to calculate the rate each time and then to add it to only credit card slaes.

Message 106 of 260

This is my question too!

Message 107 of 260

https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Questions-How-To/How-do-I-add-a-surcharge-to-my-customers-bill/m-...

I did find this thread AFTER posting my question. It may answer your questions, although some of the "how to" was a little confusing without the app immediately in front of me right now. (i.e. especially how to create it to apply for card sales and not cash sales - something of "dining options" - as I am a retail location, I have never viewed dining options?)

Hope that helps.

Message 108 of 260

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "I want to charge a 3% fee to customers who use credit cards, how do I set that up?" The author has been notified via email.

Any thoughts? 

Message 109 of 260

This reply was created from merging an existing thread

Is there a way to add a % to the total amount, using the Square reader? To add the square and CC fees.

Message 110 of 260
Admin

Hey LSR1! Take a look at the Best Answer to this question Sean provided here!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 111 of 260

This comment was created by merging the thread "How do I add a surcharge to my customers bill?"

Having trouble with adding the 3.7% fee to the end of the receipt to show customers the processing fee and taxes. Help!

Message 112 of 260

See the best answer quoted above! 

Message 113 of 260

[Note (2019): Square's per transaction fee for card payments that are dipped, tapped or swiped is 2.6% + 10¢. Learn more in our Support Center.]

because the "real" fee is not 2.75%, they tagging you with another charge once you add the service fee.  Its like you pay for a hot dog at the ball park for $5, and pay tax of $.40 then the vendor comes back and charges you again for the total amount of $5.40.  that is not legal.  A consumer who is a bigger payor is going to bring this up with the IRS.

Message 114 of 260

Hello @argolfer, it sounds like you're referring to adding a surcharge to pass along the processing fee to your customer. 

For this you would want the thread How do I add a surcharge to my customers bill? 

Message 115 of 260
Beta Member

At the risk of being boo'd, fees like credit card processing charges are a cost of doing business. If the fee is a real issue you might want to rethink your business model. Besides possibly being illegal and in violation of Visa/Mastercard's policies it is not really ideal to ask the customer to pay merchant fees directly. The customer indirectly pays it as well as your phone bill, electric, rent, etc. Could you imagine asking a surcharge for the electricity the customer used? You only notice the processing because the sale was $10 but you only get $9.725 in your account. Does any other business 'directly' ask you to pay extra for using a credit card? I'd be furious, wouldn't you?

Cash discounts were suggested and I believe somewhere I suggested simply raising your prices a few bucks. Nothing unethical about that! New price $11 instead of $10 - cover your fees and make a few extra cents. I get it, business is hard and we have to make every dime work but some of the responses on this thread worried me that people might sacrifice a good customer experience for a few bucks.

Message 116 of 260
Super Seller

100% agree.  You don't add a fee for you lease, or your insurance, or your employee, etc so why people get so hung up on credit card fees I don't understand.  It is as you said the cost of doing business.

handling cash and checks has costs to but they are invisible as they aren't specifically charged to you, but counting and recounting cash a  cash drawer balance takes an employees time and then the person counting the nightly deposit aren't working for free, plus someone driving to the bank etc.  same with checks, plus bounced checks and chasing down the payments and or writing them off costs money too.

everyone can run their business how they want but I sure feel people get hung up on worrying about saving pennies when they should be worried about making dollars.

Message 117 of 260

Is there a way to create CC fees as an item that will autofill based on transaction total?

Message 118 of 260
Square Community Moderator

Hey @ChrisatKK! Welcome to the Community!

I'm moving your post to a thread in the Community that goes over surcharges and the process of being able to add them.

You'll want to make sure you go over these steps listed on the first page before applying them. There's some sellers in this thread that go over how they personally do it as well. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 119 of 260

I have recently learned that you can charge the client for processing fees during their transactions. Does anyone know how to set that up?

Message 120 of 260

Hi @TattooAvenue!

I moved your post to a relevant thread in the Community around surcharges.

You can check out each page to see how different sellers are doing this and the things you'll want to check into while considering it. 

Ashley C
Message 121 of 260

Hey there, @Dhorton. Thanks for posting! - and welcome to the Seller Community 👋 Happy to have you.

When it comes to adding a surcharge for your customers, you may want to see how other Sellers have suggested. In addition, you can learn more about how Square processing fees work here: Understanding Our Fees | Square Payments.

Also, we have an informative video too!

We recommend talking to a tax or legal professional for guidance on whether surcharges are permitted in your area. Should you decide to apply a surcharge, it is your responsibility to meet all legal and card network requirements. You can learn more about surcharges here

[This reply was edited by a moderator on August 26, 2020 to offer more visibility into Square's pricing structure.]

Joe
Message 122 of 260

The best way to add a cc/debit fee to your register is to  create a new tax and name it cc/debit. THEN apply the  surcharge to all ITEMS.

Then create a button that discounts the full amount of the tax with the push of a cash discount button that will allow the pos to take the full surcharge off.

Hey Joe best wishes but the canned answer is bad AND MISLEADING. Square knows they can fix this quickly but they don't want people to be charging fees. 

Message 123 of 260

Quickly I would say just add the cost to their payment.

Message 124 of 260

This reply was created from merging an existing thread:

Hi @losreyes78! I moved your question to this thread which includes lots of ideas from your peers on how to do this successfully. 

What @Hardman suggested is a good work-around in this case. I will say that some states have regulations when it comes to surcharges. Because of this fact, we recommend speaking with a tax or legal professional for guidance on charging processing fees for your customer to ensure you are compliant. 

Joe
Message 125 of 260

we can add a "tax" of 2.65% and label it "credit card fee"

but the field won't allow for a fixed $0.10 "swipe fee"

Message 126 of 260