x

How do I add a tip when charging a customer's card on file for an invoice?

When customers pay the invoices that I send via email, they are given the option to add a tip.  Now a customer wants me to charge their card on file, but I don't see any way to add a tip when doing that.  Is there?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Admin

@dani_bouchard You're right, when creating an invoice to charge a customer's card on file the option to 'Allow Customer to add a tip' isn't available because you are charging for the total amount there and then.

If your customer has specified the tip amount you could enter it as a custom line item to the invoice. That way your customer will see what they purchased, and the tip amount. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 4

That’s great for adding an extra amount, but I specifically need it to be added to the tips amount that the employees cash out at the end of the day.  Can we choose tip as a custom amount? Will it be grouped with the rest of the tips for that day?

Message 3 of 4
Admin

Hi again! Hmm if you add a tip 'item' to this type of invoice you would have to set it as a specific amount. (If you wanted to allow a custom amount you could not charge the card on file, when you share by email/manually the customer can enter the tip and their own card information to pay the invoice).

Additionally adding a tip 'item' would record that as an item sale, and won't attribute it to an employees sales. You'd have to pay the tip to the employee outside of Square.

I'm sorry for all the trouble - this definitely isn't an ideal way to collect a tip for your employee! I'll share your feedback with the Invoices team so we can improve this! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 4