x

How do I apply a discount to a line item in an Invoice?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Invoices and discounts]

I understand how to do a % and dollar discount which applies to all the items on an invoice.

Is there a way to exclude items on the invoice from that global discount?

Message 1 of 33
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @kitora18!

Those instructions probably aren't the most updated. Once you have created the discount in the Online Dashboard, then you can follow these instructions to apply a discount to a line item in an Invoice:

1. Add an item or enter a custom amount within the Invoice. 
  2. Once added, select Customize, and then select which discount you would like to apply. 

Note: Only fixed-percentage discounts can be applied to a single item at this time. You cannot apply dollar amount discounts to individual items. 

I hope this answers your question. Please reply back in this thread with any additional questions. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

Hey @RJHoney

Currently, you can only apply discounts on the entire invoice. This is the case for percentages and dollar discounts. I can see how itemized discounts could help with reporting, so I will pass this feature request along to our product team! 

If anything changes regarding this I will make sure to update this thread. 😃

Message 2 of 33

How does one create a discount for an electronic (to be e-mailed) invoice?

Message 3 of 33

Hey @Navi, that is a great question! 

You will create a discount the exact same way. You will apply the discount when creating the invoice. Under the item section you should see discount description.  In this section you would add your discount. Check out the image provided below for reference. 

If you still have questions please let me know! I would be more than happy to help. 😀

Message 4 of 33

Thanks so much.   I don't know how I've missed that in the past.  I appreciate it.

Message 5 of 33

Does this still apply?  I'm unable to locate, please advise how to apply discounts on individual items

Message 6 of 33
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @kitora18!

Those instructions probably aren't the most updated. Once you have created the discount in the Online Dashboard, then you can follow these instructions to apply a discount to a line item in an Invoice:

1. Add an item or enter a custom amount within the Invoice. 
  2. Once added, select Customize, and then select which discount you would like to apply. 

Note: Only fixed-percentage discounts can be applied to a single item at this time. You cannot apply dollar amount discounts to individual items. 

I hope this answers your question. Please reply back in this thread with any additional questions. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 7 of 33

@isabelle Thank you!  I've just tried this again, and there is still no way to add a specific discount to a line item.  It appears that discounts can only be applied to the total amount.  Please clarify.  Thank you!  

Message 8 of 33

This is how tom add discounts on each item, however the discount amount is not shown in the breakdown of items. It only shows the total discount at the bottom. Ideally the discounts need to be itemised so that customers can see the discount they got on what item and this will aid the customer on not only seeing the savings they made or item but also for accounting and tax purposes. For example, it would be more useful if the invoices either show a line underneath a discounted item showing the discount amount for that item. Or the original price with a strikethrough and then the discounted price next to it e.g:

Item 1 $10.00 5.00
Item 2 $20.00 $10.00

Message 9 of 33
Beta Member

I’m using my iPhone trying to apply discount. I did go to “Dashboard” (not Online dashboard), and created discount. Online can only create coupons!
When I go back to dashboard and go to invoice and add item, There is no “customize” option once you add the item. Also, the discount does not apply. Please provide further instructions using iPhone if this is available.

Message 10 of 33
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @ritzput

Sorry for the confusion here. What you are looking for is Discounts and these can be located under the Item section of the Square Dashboard or on the Square Invoices app this located under More > Items > Discounts. 

Once you have created the discounts these should appear on your iPhone app when creating the Invoice and selecting "Add Item"

Here are some screenshots of how the flow looks on the Square Invoices app for iPhone

I hope this information is helpful!

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 11 of 33

Many times I offer a discount on the supplements sold, but not on the coaching/biofeedback provided during an office visit.  Is there any way to select certain items and apply a percentage discount to those items ?  (i.e. the supplements in this example).  The only way I have found is to just estimate the discount off the supplements.  For example, I would subtract a $10 discount for the entire invoice in order to provide a 10% discount on $100 in supplements.

Message 12 of 33
Alumni

Thanks for posting @EllenErwin !!

Isabelle got you covered on this thread I moved you to. Take a look at the best answer up top. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 13 of 33

@JustinC , @Kassi_  Thank you again for your comments.  There has to be an improved option by now.  It makes no sense that discounts cannot be applied to specific line items.  With the current setup, which is applying discounts to the total amount of items on an invoice, it will change the tax I am collecting on each of the items in the invoice.  I have items that have different tax percentages, i.e. services are taxed at 1.8%, goods are taxed at 8.025%.  Thank you so much for your quick review and feedback!  

Message 14 of 33
Admin

You can definitely apply discounts to single items within an invoice @EllenErwin.

I went ahead and tried it on my end:

You'll notice that after I selected customize, I was able to apply just one discount to cookie candle. It specifies 13% off Cookie Candle rather than all items. Did this work for you? Let me know if not, I'd love to look into this further 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 15 of 33
Beta Member

Is this compatible using iPhone IOS? Because I’m on my iPhone right now trying to get a discount and when I add the item there is no option to customize that item. There is on the PC but not on the iPhone.? Please provide instructions on how to do this using iOS system or is it not available?

Message 16 of 33

This is what I'm looking to do, however I can't do it either. When I click "Customize" the only option I get is to add a Note. There's nowhere to add a line-item discount. Can someone please share how we can activate line-item discount vs a discount that applies to the whole invoice??

Message 17 of 33

Hello @LSChicago22 I provided a screenshot from my demo account of what you should be seeing when you click customize. Are you doing this in the app or Dashboard? 

Message 18 of 33

I eventually figured it out 🙂 Thank you! I think there was a lag in the options appearing in Customize - I had to refresh the page every time for it to show. 

Message 19 of 33

Great! Glad you got it figured out @LSChicago22. Reach out if you need anything else. 

Message 20 of 33

Hello,  I have created discounts on specific items which works fine when using a Point of Sale; Square App, Tablet.

But when creating an invoice the Auto Discount does not work.  I have to manually apply a discount.   Any reason why?  Can this be changed? 

Also, I would like to see the Percentage of the discount removed.  I feel as though the name you create for the discount should be the only thing visible to the customer, not the specific percentage applied.   I understand the customer could figure out the discount by doing the math.  But would prefer the merely see Farm Store Sale with the savings next to it. 

But wish the discount that I created to auto applied during checkout would also auto apply while creating an invoice. 

Message 21 of 33