x

How do I apply a flat rate tax instead of percentage?

I need to apply a tax at a flat rate instead of percentage of price. How can I do that?

Message 1 of 8
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

@JV I agree with @VanKalkerFarms it takes a little set-up though.  I sell in multiple cities and I pay a different tax for every sale. The same Item can be multiple prices depending on what city it is being serviced.  I have set up a system like an old school tax chart would be set on a manual cash register.  I rounded the tax up and called it a Tx/Fee.  In my case I had to use dollar amounts so I decided on 9's Example. Modifier A9 = 3% of $9, A19 = 3% of $19 and so on.  Maybe you could do the same with your scenario.  You are able to make a modifier a default if you only add one option to the modifier and default the modifier to, "you can only choose one option" This will make it a default.  Unfortunately, there is currently no way to make groups of Modifiers so this will result in a huge run-on-sentence of modifiers.  If you can put up with that, it should work. Hope this helps.

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Super Seller

Can you explain what you're trying to do?

Something like a $5 city tax on an item or something?

you could just make an item that is the price of the tax and add it on items that need it. 

Message 2 of 8

The tax is "so much per quantity", example $.50 per pound.
Thanks for your suggestion. I had already put such items in place to ensure the tax was charged. But requires 2 entries for each of these taxable items sold. So I wanted to be able to create the taxes for the different quantities so it would be added automatically.

While the present "fix" works, it leaves too much opportunity for error, such as if the wrong amount gets added to an item. The whole thing is just sketchy at best. Thanks again for your response.

Also, I just noticed that 'Discounts' lets you use a dollar figure or a percentage. If this same dollar figure option were available under taxes, my problem would be solved.

Message 3 of 8
Super Seller

I'm not by computer, so I can't test it out, but could you add a default modifier to the item? If it would be automatically adding on, you wouldn't need to do it manually and risk forgetting. You should be able to run a report to figure out how much you collected. I'm just not sure if you can make a modifier on by default. 

Message 4 of 8

Best Answer

@JV I agree with @VanKalkerFarms it takes a little set-up though.  I sell in multiple cities and I pay a different tax for every sale. The same Item can be multiple prices depending on what city it is being serviced.  I have set up a system like an old school tax chart would be set on a manual cash register.  I rounded the tax up and called it a Tx/Fee.  In my case I had to use dollar amounts so I decided on 9's Example. Modifier A9 = 3% of $9, A19 = 3% of $19 and so on.  Maybe you could do the same with your scenario.  You are able to make a modifier a default if you only add one option to the modifier and default the modifier to, "you can only choose one option" This will make it a default.  Unfortunately, there is currently no way to make groups of Modifiers so this will result in a huge run-on-sentence of modifiers.  If you can put up with that, it should work. Hope this helps.

Message 5 of 8

Thanks so much for the ideas. This one was becoming a real 'head-scratcher' for me. I think the ideas proposed would work well in my situation. However, I have learned that the tax does not need to be separated so I can just add to the specific item price. I will be using this option to avoid any possibilities of applying a wrong amount to an item as I have employees and do not facilitate all transactions myself. It will take the pressure off all of us while doing business on a busy day.

Thanks again for the support!

Message 6 of 8

be careful when you do this as i had to contact square customer support because the tax i set plus the square tax for card payments i was being charged double but below is the entire way to do it multiple ways. 

1. Visit Sales Taxes in your online Square Dashboard
  2. Click Create Tax at the top-right of the page.
  3. Enter the tax information and make sure to toggle Enable Tax on. Note: You can choose to Add Tax to Item Price, which adds the tax as a separate line item to the price, or Include Tax in Item Price, which shows one amount – the combined sales tax and item price.
  4. Select the applicable locations.
  5. Click Save
  6. Apply the tax to your items > Apply to Items.
  7. Select individual items or click Select All > Apply to Items.

You can also adjust your taxes from the item level:

1. Visit Items in your online Square Dashboard.
  2. Click on an item to bring up the item details page. Under Taxes > No Taxes or select the name you gave your tax.
  3. Enable tax rate(s) you’d like to apply.

Note: Taxes will automatically apply to sales where a custom amount is entered. To disable taxes for custom amounts visit your tax settings in the Square app.

Create Item Sales Tax from the App

With the Square app, you can create multiple tax rates and customize how tax is applied to your items. 

1. Tap the three horizontal lines in the upper right corner to navigate to the menu.
  2. Tap Settings > Tax
  3. On an iPhone, tap the + icon in the top-right corner. On an iPad, tap Add a New Tax, and on an Android device, tap Create Tax
  4. Enter the tax information and toggle on Enabled to automatically apply this tax at checkout. 
  5. Tap Applicable Items to choose which items this tax will automatically apply to. Toggle on Custom Amounts to apply this tax to amounts entered at the time of a sale.
  6. Tap the back arrow > Item Pricing. Select if this tax will be included in item prices or added to a price at the time of sale.
  7. Make sure to save your updates.

Edit Taxes at the Time of Sale

1. From the Square app, tap Current Sale and tap an item.
  2. Under Taxes, toggle applicable tax rates on or off.

Note: From the Sale screen, you can also tap Tax to view all tax rates applied to the current sale. Tap the red minus icon to remove a tax rate from applicable items within the sale.

You can enable your employees to edit taxes at the time of a sale through your employee permissions.

Disable Tax In-App

1. Tap the three horizontal lines in the upper right corner to navigate to the menu.
  2. Tap Settings > Tax and select the tax you’d like to remove.
  3. Toggle off Enabled or tap Remove Tax to delete it. 
  4. Save your changes.
Message 7 of 8
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for stepping in and assisting here, @Kandbcleaning18 - we appreciate you sharing the resources that helped you! 🍻📈

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 8