x

How do I apply a surcharge?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: how do u charge 3% user fee only on credit/debit charges only]

now offering online ordering!

Message 1 of 7
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @everest1 - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋

You can find more details on how to create a surcharge within Square here in our Support Center.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Super Seller Alumni

I'm not understanding your question.

Message 2 of 7
Alumni

Hello @beckhams,

Thank you for posting in the Seller Community. Welcome.

Are you asking in regard to charging a surcharge, or a way to add the processing fee for credit cards onto your client? If so, Credit and debit card surcharge rules may vary by state, regulatory, or card network rules. Please touch base with a tax professional or your local government for further guidance on whether surcharges are permitted in your area.

If there was a different type of "user" fee that you were alluding to, can you provide an example please? Thank you!

Please let me know if you have any other questions by replying to this thread. 

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 3 of 7

Once we have confirmed that we can legally apply a surcharge and have notified the CC companies, how do we apply it? I see the Service Charge option but that just increases our sale/fee from Square. I am assuming by the way surcharges are described in the help article that they should be a seperate fee from a service charge. How do we add a surcharge versus a service charge?

Message 4 of 7

Hello @TaylordMassage,

Square does not support surcharging at all so you will have to continue to work with the card companies in order to achieve this. The only other recommendation I do have is to utilize our surcharge calculator

I am sorry for any confusion. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Message 5 of 7

Is there way I can charge a customer 3.5% if they use a credit card? Can I do that automatic or manual? I live and have a restaurant business in Missouri. 

Message 6 of 7

Best Answer

Hi @everest1 - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋

You can find more details on how to create a surcharge within Square here in our Support Center.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Message 7 of 7