x

How do I cancel a refund I accidentally requested?

How do I cancel a refund I accidentally requested?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 65
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Unfortunately in most circumstances, it's not possible to cancel a refund. Once you take the final step in the refund process, which is to tap the final "Issue Refund" button, our system immediately begins processing to send the funds back to the customer's bank. 

At this point, I'd recommend contacting the customer to re-process the payment. If you sent the customer an email receipt, our support team can reach out to the customer on your behalf and request they contact you. If you'd like our support team to do that, please fill out this form.

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 65
64 REPLIES 64

How to cancel a refund I gave to someone

Message 2 of 65

I need to know how to go about cancelling a refund
Message 3 of 65
Alumni

Best Answer

Unfortunately in most circumstances, it's not possible to cancel a refund. Once you take the final step in the refund process, which is to tap the final "Issue Refund" button, our system immediately begins processing to send the funds back to the customer's bank. 

At this point, I'd recommend contacting the customer to re-process the payment. If you sent the customer an email receipt, our support team can reach out to the customer on your behalf and request they contact you. If you'd like our support team to do that, please fill out this form.

Message 4 of 65

Square doesn't know where to send the refund, because I never entered the recipients name or card number.\

\

Message 5 of 65

I taped the refund amount hoping to issue a partial refund and the deed was done. I didn't tap send refund. You need to fix this. I just lost $40 !
Message 6 of 65

I dont have the funds in the account to cover the wrong amount of the refund. Now what?

Message 7 of 65

How do I open the form? I click on it but it took me back to the community page again with no form show

Message 8 of 65
Square Community Moderator

@Pandanleafs You can reach out to us from here. Let me know if that works!

Message 9 of 65

I cant reach the customer what do i do the refund was accidently done. I need help

Message 10 of 65
Admin

Hey @Fc-49, please send the payment information to our Support Team directly.

A team member will look into it for you as soon as possible, but keep in mind that we aren't always able to cancel accidental refunds. Thank you for your understanding, and we'll keep watch for your message!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 11 of 65

And if there's not enough money in the payment method account how do they get the refund?

Message 12 of 65
Square

HI @Chefforaday. If we're not able to collect the funds from a seller to cover the cost of refund, it will most likely be reject, and then you'd have to refund the customer through an alternate way (outside of Square). Hope this helps!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 13 of 65

My question is this.  I'm new to the square process. i sold several items few weeks ago. then last week sold a few more of the same item.  when i went in to get customer data to process the order all my screen layouts were different.  and i've had pending for a week my deposits wondering why the delay.  I shipped the items out and today 2 orders were refunded to customers i've already shipped to.... my email said I requested the refunds.  I've been in an internet dead zone all day and in no way shape or form authorized 2 refunds.  I have proof of shipment even.

Just curious as to in the past week trying to relearn the layouts did i miss a final step in the transaction seeing as i had no buttons to click.  I only had customer info and reciept of payment and i even sent them a copy of the reciept.  They even logged in and gave me a positive review.. and the an auto refund happens...... seriously confused.  going to look at some of the videos to see if i missed a step.  just wierd that the layouts changed in a weeks time. all previous orders i had no problems processing.

Message 14 of 65
Admin

Hey @ParaPalooza, thanks for reaching out and sorry to hear about the trouble with these payments.🤔

Were these Online Store orders, by chance? If so, there may be a chance that the order expired if it wasn't marked as completed. More details on this process in our Support Center: Manage Shipping Orders.

If that doesn't clear things up, please send the payment details to our Support Team — they'll be able to take a look behind the scenes and see what happened. Please let us know if anything else comes up!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 15 of 65

I am very disapointed in Square's refund system. I accidentally refunded a sale of $230.00 & it is lost!

If Square does not reimberse me for my loss I will be canceling my account. This is a serious flaw in the system.

I see that a lot of others have had the same experience.

Message 16 of 65

The customer sent himself an email receipt on his own phone ... can square trace this?

Message 17 of 65
Admin

Hi @Constance, I'm not sure I understand your question. If you're having trouble with a refund please get in touch with our Support Team directly. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 18 of 65

I sent him email reciept yesterday at 11:50pm  two tims 57.60 dollars  so i soppose to refund him 57.60 

Message 19 of 65

This is an inadequate response to the issue at hand. Mose of your clients are small businesses and every little bit counts. On a typical processor you can see your batch and edit from the back of house if an error occurs. To contact your client directly is in poor taste on a system where you have an option of "Other" and then it still processes directly back to their card!? Please tell me you have modified this fault in your system by now because it is failing your customers.

Message 20 of 65
Super Seller

there are no batches to edit as there aren't any batches at all.  a Credit Card transaction takes place literally the moment that you process a transaction or refund, not at the end of the day or days later when you close a batch.

Also, personally, I don't see how a refund should be editable after a customer leaves.  say I authorize a refund on a customers credit card and they leave and then I can now go and modify that refund?  from a customer's view, that is not good service that you just took back money that you both agreed upon at the refund time.

Message 21 of 65