x

How do I categorize items after the transaction has been made with an uncategorized item?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: How do I categorize items after the transaction has been made with an uncategorized item]

How do I categorize items after the transaction has been made with an uncategorized item?

I have uncategorized transactions for 2019 and cannot figure out what they are. Is there a way to search for them?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Admin

Hey @kittimc-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

There isn't a way to determine what item was sold in a previous transaction if a custom amount was input in it's place. The reporting system can only provide information that was originally input, meaning that if a custom amount was typed in rather than the item being added to the cart during the sale, the system has no way of knowing which actual item was sold or what category it came from. 

Any transaction that includes either just a custom amount, or a custom amount and an item in the sale will show as uncategorized when referring to the Category Sales Report in your online Square Dashboard.

If you had a sale that was partially itemized, and partially custom amount, you can take a look at the Item Sales Report to determine which items were sold. I hope this is the case for you. 

Sorry about that. Hopefully moving forward you can rely only on itemized transactions rather than custom amounts. Please let me know if you have any questions about this. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 2