x

How do I change the price for an entire category?

I use Square to sell smoothies. I want to change my prices. How can I change the price of all of my small, medium adn large soothies all at once? I do not want to change the price of the products one by one. 

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 17
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

There isn't a way to edit the prices of an entire category in one click but you also do not need to go item by item to update your pricing, our item import tool can help make the tedious job of updating prices a little easier.

You can export your item library to a CSV file, edit the CSV file then re-import your library, so instead of having to click and out of every item, you can simply make changes to your "price" column. Here's how:

- Sign in to your dashboard and click your items tab.
- If you're using multiple locations, navigate the location-specific library you'd like to export. To do so, click an item in your library > click Select a Location under Inventory > Go
- Click Import/Export at the top-right of the page > Export Items.

- Edit your CSV file with your new prices. 

- Click Import Items at the top-right of the page. 
- Choose Modify Existing Library to add new item prices and keep your old pricing; or select Overwrite Existing Library to delete and replace your current library with new item pricing.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Square

Best Answer

There isn't a way to edit the prices of an entire category in one click but you also do not need to go item by item to update your pricing, our item import tool can help make the tedious job of updating prices a little easier.

You can export your item library to a CSV file, edit the CSV file then re-import your library, so instead of having to click and out of every item, you can simply make changes to your "price" column. Here's how:

- Sign in to your dashboard and click your items tab.
- If you're using multiple locations, navigate the location-specific library you'd like to export. To do so, click an item in your library > click Select a Location under Inventory > Go
- Click Import/Export at the top-right of the page > Export Items.

- Edit your CSV file with your new prices. 

- Click Import Items at the top-right of the page. 
- Choose Modify Existing Library to add new item prices and keep your old pricing; or select Overwrite Existing Library to delete and replace your current library with new item pricing.

Message 2 of 17

I'm having trouble with the Select a Location under Inventory > Go step. Does anyone know how to do this?

Message 3 of 17
Square

@Pasha I should have been more clear! If you have multiple locations set up on your account, then you will have to navigate to an individual location to complete that process but if you only have one location on your account you can skip that step as you will already be in your locations dashboard. 

Sorry for that confusion!

Message 4 of 17

@Kelly unfortunately, this only exports my WHOLE library not just the category that I click. Am I doing this incorrectly ? I followed the steps above....

having to change every item by finding them in my file kindof defeats the purpose of having separated categories....

Message 5 of 17
Super Seller Alumni

In your exported file, can you sort the Category column so that the items in each category are grouped together?

Judy T Shumway
Message 6 of 17

@GlassJudy , yes I can......but it just seems redundant to have to export a whole huge file instead of just selecting a category.

Thanks ! This does help though......

Message 7 of 17
Super Seller Alumni

You're welcome, and I agree that it would be better if you could just export/import a given category at a time instead of everything.

Judy T Shumway
Message 8 of 17

I followed the directions above and now my library prices have updated to what I want but my online store still reflects the old prices.  How long does it take to sync?

Message 9 of 17
Admin

@Soupy8728 Sometimes it can take up to 24 hours for the change to occur. Has it changed for you since you posted yesterday?

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 10 of 17

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Change Pricing for Locations

Is there a way to change all pricing of categories without using Excel or doing it one by one? I have over 300 items and they are priced differently for craft shows than online.

Message 11 of 17
Admin

Hi there @festiveflirts! I the steps in this post will help. There isn't a way to edit your library by category but you can use the item library template to make change in bulk to save you time! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 12 of 17

Is there a way to edit prices on multiple items at one time?  I have multiple categories of similar items that are all priced the same.  One category has 14 items all with the same price structure.  Another category has 12, etc.  In all of these, if I have to change the price, I end up having to set the price 18+ times for each option of a single item.  Multiply this times 50 or more items and changing prices becomes a nightmare as that is somewhere around 900 price changes.

Message 13 of 17
Admin

Hey @Mayasand! I moved your question here. Although it's an older thread, all of the info still holds true when it comes to "bulk updating" item prices. Hope it helps!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 14 of 17

@nika 
Thank you for this post.  It does make it slightly easier, but still extremely difficult.  Our items on the square online are not categorized in the pos.

Message 15 of 17

@nika 

Just to give a small scope of what we have to deal with when changing prices, each item in a single category had 108 prices to change.  This single category had 15 items.  It took about 4 hours straight to do in excel.  I have about 5 more similar categories that will each take about 4 hours to change the prices on.  The excel sheet was certainly faster than trying to do each item at a time. But it is still quite a cumbersome process.

Message 16 of 17

It really would be quite helpful for square to implement a bulk category price changing feature, especially if all the items in a category are the exact same (then if someone has a variable within that category they can adjust the item individually). With inflation, deflation, stagflation, and whatever else the monetary lunatics are doing we really need to be able to efficiently adjust our POS inventory prices accordingly. The people that run Big Cartel web hosting that y'all work with have done it, maybe get with them and find out which code they used to make it easier - but this really is a needed feature. Please & thank you

Message 17 of 17