x

How do I change the "owner" phone number on file?

So, I have already gone to my Dsahboard to Account & Settings, and there is no plce to change phone number. Only Name, Email and password. Please help.

Message 1 of 25
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Sorry for the confusion, but as Sayra mentioned, the activation number used to create the account cannot be changed. It's  a system limitation. But if you're looking to change the biz phone number that's customer facing on receipts: Account & Settings > Business -> Locations

The mention of changing the activation phone number from the Teams tab was a misstep. @cpbaseball

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 10 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Super Seller

Two spots I'd recommend checking...

-First, Account & Settings -> Business -> Location. If your phone number is the same as your business location's, you can update it here.

-Second, the Employees section. You should have a name here with the Owner designation. Click on it, then click Edit in the upper right of the new screen. You can modify the number here.

Hope this helps!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 25

I do not see an Employees section. Where exactly is that located?

Message 3 of 25
Alumni

Hi @cpbaseball the employees tab is named Team now. You should see it from the Dashboard menu.

Justin
Message 4 of 25

Thanks, I don't yet have any items in Teams. Am I to create a dummy team member in order to see the Owner?

Message 5 of 25
Square Community Moderator

Hey @cpbaseball - Jumping in for Justin here. What exactly are you trying to do in your Team tab? Here you can take a look at the different tools Square Team Management offers. 

Let us know if you have any other questions. 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 6 of 25

Hi, I am attempting to change my owner phone number. I found this help thread which mentions finding Owner under Employees, and then Justin indicated that Employees is now re-labelled Teams. But I have never had any employees and when I look under Teams, there is literally nothing there, other than the option to add a new member. And so I'm wondering if adding a a new member might also have the side effect / workaround of getting the Owner to display as a Team member?

Message 7 of 25

Hey @cpbaseball - If you are trying to change the phone number the account was initially created with, this is not possible. The business phone number can only be changed in your receipt settings since this section is public information. The owner of the account does not need to be added as a Team member to make these changes. 

You may also be referring to changing your device code. 

Let me know if this helped?

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 8 of 25

Thanks Sayra, I don't understand why it is not possible, as @ryanwanner above indicates how to do it, and also because in order to change certain information, codes are sent to the owner phone number. My owner phone number has changed; the owner phone number on file is no longer valid. How do I rectify this?

Message 9 of 25
Alumni

Best Answer

Sorry for the confusion, but as Sayra mentioned, the activation number used to create the account cannot be changed. It's  a system limitation. But if you're looking to change the biz phone number that's customer facing on receipts: Account & Settings > Business -> Locations

The mention of changing the activation phone number from the Teams tab was a misstep. @cpbaseball

Justin
Message 10 of 25
Super Seller

Hey @cpbaseball ! Yes, @JustinC is correct. I misunderstood the original question. 

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 11 of 25
Alumni

No worries @ryanwanner. I've definitely misstepped a few times before. We all really appreciate you stepping in to help! 

Justin
Message 12 of 25

The old number has been disconnected. Now what do I do? 

Message 13 of 25

so every time i send and estamate it has to be from that [Redacted] number because my customs think its a scam everytime i sernd one out

Message 14 of 25

The inability of an Owner to change a NON-PUBLIC mobile number they use for secure account verifications from Square — that's not a system limitation — that's ABSURD!!! Square is generally awesome, so PLEASE RECTIFY THIS SECURITY HOLE!!! (Why isn't 'Change Phone Number' available under Settings > Account — just like Change Email is???) When I went to change my Square Account email, my options were to verify by the old email address, or by my account phone number. But how is one supposed to change or update the account phone number????????? ACCOUNT OWNERS' PHONE NUMBERS AREN'T PERMANENT. Square needs to have a VALID AND CURRENT Owner Phone Number on file! PLEASE DO RECTIFY THIS SECURITY HOLE!!!

Message 15 of 25

I completely understand your feedback @BCFA and will pass it over to our product team. We are working hard on making account changes more flexible but at this time I do not have any information to share in regards to being able to update your phone number.

JJ
Message 16 of 25

I absolutely agree with this. You can change phone numbers more easily on a banking website than you can with Square. I was on the phone with three customer support people, none of whom could help me with updating an old phone number in Security in Account Settings. To update a phone number, why would you have a system send a verification code to the phone number you're trying to update? Most people want to change their phone number because they either no longer have it or use it. There should be at least another option to send a verification code to the login email address. And Customer Support should absolutely be able to change that number for you using identity verification questions. It's insane that they can't. Since this is the number that's used to verify my identity and notify me if there's unusual account activity, I will no longer use Square. I shudder to think about what would happen when someone else gets my old phone number one day. 

Message 17 of 25

I have a similar problem but with a difference. The office secretary who set up the account used an email that is no longer valid or accessible and a landline phone number that can not receive texts. As the Accounts Receivable person, I only come in at the end/beginning of the month and did not know this until her old email was completely gone. I need to be able to update the email to the new valid one, but can not do that without sending a verification code to either the defunct old email or a land line. Help?

Message 18 of 25

Hey there @DSMLawAR 

Our support team is able to make these changes for you as long as the person calling in is the account owner. You can give them a call at 855-700-6000 between 6 am - 6 pm Pacific Time Monday-Friday. If you call outside of these hours, you will be required to enter your Customer Code to validate your account.

I hope this information is helpful!

JJ
Message 19 of 25

My number has changed and it's still showing the old/inactive number on my square website. it shows the correct number everywhere else, but when potential new clients are on my booking page, it shows the incorrect number. now I'm having issues because I'm losing customers who think I'm out of business when they try to call instead of just booking online.

Message 20 of 25

@dndltd That sounds super frustrating! Are you wanting to change the owner phone number for 2 step verification or for your receipts/account information? If the later, you can follow Justin's steps above (marked best answer) and that should get you going. If you want to clear the phone number for 2 step verification, you will need to call into support. You can reach out directly to Customer Success at [Redacted]. Please keep in mind, you will need a customer code to get an advocate on the phone. Here is the link to get that code: squ.re/contactsqsupport

@SexySofia Can you tell me if you've changed your phone number under Account & Settings like Justin suggested? 

AshleyK
Message 21 of 25