x

How do I charge a card on file for a deposit in an invoice?

Have been trying to charge a card on file for a deposit in an invoice. No luck. Any knowledge is appreciated.

Message 1 of 7
1 Best Answer
Beta Member

Best Answer

This is super easy. I just did this for the first time literally 2 days ago. Basically, you can do it from your Square Dashboard or download the Square Invoicing App (I downloaded it from iOS). 

Then you add your Client as a Customer (and I'm pretty sure as you create the Customer that's where you can enter a card number you may have for them).

Then you add the Invoice. Then once the invoice is added and the Client is added to that invoice, you'll be able to see an option that says "Add Payment" or something weird like that. It confused me at first.

Then once you click that, you'll be able to "accept" payment on the Deposit Invoice - you should see something like Charge Card On File (or something like that). And you click it and it'll charge the card on file - simple! 

I may have gotten one or two of those steps slightly mixed up, but basically it's pretty intuitive once you get in there. If you have problems, I could go back in and screenshot the whole thing step by step. 

Good luck! And hope that helps!

GetPreOrder.com, Official Square Partner - Create a $250K custom SuperSite for Square free. https://getpreorder.com/supersites

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Beta Member

Best Answer

This is super easy. I just did this for the first time literally 2 days ago. Basically, you can do it from your Square Dashboard or download the Square Invoicing App (I downloaded it from iOS). 

Then you add your Client as a Customer (and I'm pretty sure as you create the Customer that's where you can enter a card number you may have for them).

Then you add the Invoice. Then once the invoice is added and the Client is added to that invoice, you'll be able to see an option that says "Add Payment" or something weird like that. It confused me at first.

Then once you click that, you'll be able to "accept" payment on the Deposit Invoice - you should see something like Charge Card On File (or something like that). And you click it and it'll charge the card on file - simple! 

I may have gotten one or two of those steps slightly mixed up, but basically it's pretty intuitive once you get in there. If you have problems, I could go back in and screenshot the whole thing step by step. 

Good luck! And hope that helps!

GetPreOrder.com, Official Square Partner - Create a $250K custom SuperSite for Square free. https://getpreorder.com/supersites
Message 2 of 7
Square Community Moderator

@PreOrder_Apps Thank you so much!! You are completely right. Once a customer has their card on file from the Customer Directory, you can ask the invoice to charge the "Card ending in XXXX" under "Invoice Method."

Nice job and thanks again!!! 🙂

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 3 of 7

Thanks so much for the reply! I've tried this method as well. But when I do choose invoice method - > card on file, it only allows me to charge the full amount of the invoice and not the deposit.

Message 4 of 7
Beta Member

We personally always make the Deposit Invoice its own invoice, but if you want them to pay a portion of one specific invoice I think that's possible, but we haven't tried it yet. 

Check this link out: 

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6581-request-deposits-with-square-invoices

Hope that helps!

Ken

ps - I'm not sure if there are differences between the Square Dashboard's Invoicing features and the Square Invoicing App, but you may want to make sure you check both out because the Invoicing App is awesome and so user-friendly. It's got a Purple Square Icon if memory serves me correct.

Message 5 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for the alley-oop here, @PreOrder_Apps! This is good stuff. 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 7

Thank you so much for the reply. I've tried this method, but no option for Charge Card on File comes up. Posting screenshots from your dashboard would be so great!! Thanks again!

Message 7 of 7