x

How do I clear the balance of an e-gift card?

I recently had a client buy an e-gift card for her mother.  The mother isn’t tech savvy and didn’t have the e-gift receipt.  How can I apply the e-gift so it shows as redeemed? TIA!

Message 1 of 56
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hey @SarB

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community! I would try logging onto your dashboard on the computer and following these actions. Gift Cards > Overview > Click on the Gift Card from the list > Clear Balance > Type in the exact amount > Click outside of the space > Clear. 

Hope this helps, if not, let us know by replying in this thread. 

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.

View Best Answer >

Message 11 of 56
55 REPLIES 55

I recently had a client buy an e-gift card for her mother.  The mother isn’t tech savvy and didn’t have the e-gift receipt.  How can I apply the e-gift so it shows as redeemed? TIA!

Message 2 of 56

Hello @jj! Clearing the balance on an eGift Card is pretty easy! 

if you're looking to clear the entire balance of the card head to your Square Dashboard and click on Sales from the menu on the left. From here click on Transactions at the top of your screen. You should be able to find the eGift card by name or you can use the last 4 digits of the card used to purchase it. Once you click on the transaction you'll see the option to clear the balance on the card. 

If you have any other questions please let me know! 

Message 3 of 56

OK I see that ... but I’ve tried to doma - and + for the amount and can’t get it to clear.  It should now be a zero balance...?

Message 4 of 56

Hey @jj, I don't full understand your question. Could you provide some additional details about the steps you're taking? 

Message 5 of 56

I followed instructions and when entering 0.00 in the remaining balance filed the submit button isnt highlighted so I cannot click it.  Suggestions?  

Message 6 of 56

I am having the same problem. I enter $0.00 as the balance but the "Clear" button can't be confirmed. The redemption code is 16 digits so also won't allow it to be redeemed as a gift card.

Message 7 of 56

I just figured it out on my tablet though. You have to search for the transaction (which could be a while back if not redeemed soon). When you find the transaction, click on it and it gives you the option to clear it. I never figured it out on the laptop full site though.

Message 8 of 56

1)go to transactions

2) find transaction & click on it

click on ecard# on the right after you have found it

3)example: if the gift card is $250 and used to $250  just enter $250 and it will let you clear balance. 

Message 9 of 56

Exactly the same problem I'm having. It won't let me clear any amount from the balance and I didn't bother getting the code from the customer because I knew she had it and who had bought it for her etc. but now the balance is stuck.

Message 10 of 56
Alumni

Best Answer

Hey @SarB

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community! I would try logging onto your dashboard on the computer and following these actions. Gift Cards > Overview > Click on the Gift Card from the list > Clear Balance > Type in the exact amount > Click outside of the space > Clear. 

Hope this helps, if not, let us know by replying in this thread. 

Alex_
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 11 of 56

Thank you for your help! I am experiencing the same issues as previous querents - the clear button, once remaining balance is entered, won't highlight and can't be clicked. I do not see the full gift card code to enter manually either, only the last 5 numbers, which won't go through... I have tried both on my laptop and on my phone app, neither work... any ideas and suggestions?

much thanks!

Message 12 of 56
Alumni

Hello @AwakenedHearth

Thank you for posting in the Seller Community. Welcome.

Sorry to hear about this, what browser are you using to try and access your dashboard? 

Please let me know by replying in this thread. I'll keep an eye out for your response.

Alex_
Message 13 of 56

Thank you, Alex!

i was able to clear the cards today from my app. Yesterday it just wouldn’t work on either app or laptop. I am still not completely certain that this is the correct way to redeem an e-gift card - go to checkout, gift cards, put in the code, clear card...then it asks the reason for clearing it...no mention of services rendered. Is “cash out” the correct answer in this case? Just a little confused...

thanks for your help 🙏🏻💖

Message 14 of 56
Alumni

Hi @AwakenedHearth,

No worries. All you have to do is make sure you have the option to process gift cards enabled in your settings. After opening the Square app, please tap on the three little lines on the left hand side and go to Settings > Payment Types > make sure Manual Gift Card Entry is flipped on (blue). 

Once you have a customer come in to make a purchase, select that option, and enter the full gift card number they were provided with. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions by replying to this thread. Happy to help. 

Alex_
Message 15 of 56

Thanks Alex - manual GC entry was on. 

so - coming back to my previous question - the steps I outlined are the correct ones to redeem a GC, and the correct option to check is “cashed out”? 

Message 16 of 56
Alumni

@AwakenedHearth,

You shouldn't have to mark it as cash after running the gift card. Are you able to provide a screenshot of where you are going to process this? I'm happy to take a look. 

Alex_
Message 17 of 56

what if they don't have the card or number?

Message 18 of 56
Beta Member

If the person who bought it for them put the recipients name in it then you can look it up in your gift card purchases. I'm an LMT and if the card wasn't connected to their appointment I had to merge them to connect it.

Message 19 of 56

Hi,

How do you connect the card to their appt?

Message 20 of 56
Beta Member

I had to merge the clients. Go to customers and type in their name and merge the gift card name with appointment name. It should work after that.

Message 21 of 56