x

How do I clear the balance of an e-gift card?

I recently had a client buy an e-gift card for her mother.  The mother isn’t tech savvy and didn’t have the e-gift receipt.  How can I apply the e-gift so it shows as redeemed? TIA!

Message 1 of 56
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hey @SarB

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community! I would try logging onto your dashboard on the computer and following these actions. Gift Cards > Overview > Click on the Gift Card from the list > Clear Balance > Type in the exact amount > Click outside of the space > Clear. 

Hope this helps, if not, let us know by replying in this thread. 

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.

View Best Answer >

Message 11 of 56
55 REPLIES 55

Glad  I'm not the only one who thinks there Gift card system is a mess!!!! Most clients don't have the GC and then we only have the 4 digits and can't do anything with those 4 digits!! Very frustrating!!!!

Message 43 of 56
Beta Member

so it used to populate the names of the GC recipients in the manual entry of GC and now it isn't coming up. My client's gift card is in her name but it doesn't show a card on file. I can see her GC when I go to the transaction but I can't redeem it from there. I want it to be a transaction so clearing the balance is not what I want to do. Why is the list not populating when I try to take payment?

Message 44 of 56
Alumni

Hmm - to make sure I understand, does the customer name usually populate when selecting Manual Entry as a payment type during checkout or Card on File

If I'm off target, take me through your checkout flow so I have insight @hlmcall

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Message 45 of 56
Beta Member

It was when I would click on manual gift card entry. However, I figured out that I needed to merge my client's appointment info with the gift card info. Once I merged them the gift card showed up, so for anyone with this issue I recommend merging the 2 contact info. Thanks for getting back though.

Message 46 of 56
Alumni

@hlmcall

Ah gotcha! thanks for looping back and helping other Sellers that might run into the same issue. 

Justin
Message 47 of 56

Hi! How do I merge my client with the gc transaction? Thanks

Message 48 of 56

I think this is a huge help, thank you! However, my card on file option is not an option in her transaction. I guess because it's not attached to her customer file. When she purchased from me, she was not yet an official client. How can I remedy this? Should i delete the transaction and do a new one? She paid me through Venmo so it shouldn't be a problem.

Message 49 of 56
Alumni

If you're trying to redeem the giftcard without the customer being present, the card needs to be stored on file in your customer directory

At checkout select Card on File as the payment option. Find the customer's name and choose their gift card. The full number will generate automatically. 

@tapfast33

Justin
Message 50 of 56

I didn't do that at the time. This was a purchase back in March and this person was not yet a client. She just purchased a gc for a future appt during the pandemic. So what should I do now, as this gc is not attached to anyone. It's just floating and I want to be able to redeem it as a transaction. Should I reissue another one?

Message 51 of 56

Hi,

I have done this and there is no option to clear this balance. Can you please advise further, or should I contact someone at square?

Thanks

Message 52 of 56

What if you don't want to clear the balance and only redeem a certain amount? But only have the 4 digits?

Message 53 of 56
Alumni

You'll need to contact CS to enable the permission on your account to export full gift card numbers from Dashboard. Simply copy the number from the CSV then enter it into your POS device to redeem the gift card. 

@Amysti

Justin
Message 54 of 56

This just happened to me today. A customer showed without the e-gift card that was given to him by someone. I was able to look up the gift card transaction on Dashboard because I knew by whom and when it was purchased to get the amount. I proceeded to check him out using the Appointments app. I used a split purchase and choose More >Other Gift Card or Certificate. I entered a comment typing the last 4 digits of the e-Gift Card for my tracking purchases and proceeded with the rest of the transaction. To clear the e-Gift Card balance, I searched for the transaction again. I selected Clear Balance. The pop-up box asks for you to enter the Current Balance, not the $0.00 balance. I think this is where people are getting confused. The system wants to created a debit/credit type of entry. For example, in my case, It is asking for the current +$70.00 so it can debit -$70.00 and record a $0.00. Once I entered the Current Balance of the e-Gift Card, the Clear button turned red for me to select and recorded that the card was clear to $0.00. I hope this helps.

Message 55 of 56
Beta Member

To clear the balance to $0 - Enter in the existing balance (say you want to clear a $50 card, enter $50) - Press Clear (the balance will still show) - Refresh the screen and it will now show a $0 balance. Hope this helps!

Message 56 of 56