x

How do I clear the balance of an e-gift card?

I recently had a client buy an e-gift card for her mother.  The mother isn’t tech savvy and didn’t have the e-gift receipt.  How can I apply the e-gift so it shows as redeemed? TIA!

Message 1 of 56
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hey @SarB

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community! I would try logging onto your dashboard on the computer and following these actions. Gift Cards > Overview > Click on the Gift Card from the list > Clear Balance > Type in the exact amount > Click outside of the space > Clear. 

Hope this helps, if not, let us know by replying in this thread. 

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.

View Best Answer >

Message 11 of 56
55 REPLIES 55

I'm sorry, I don't see how to do this. I don't think my giftcard had a name assigned to it?? I feel like I did it wrong to begin with and I need to start all over again

tthe blackout is her email addresstthe blackout is her email address

Message 22 of 56

OK, I have gotten somewhere in researching this thread. I have switched on the manual entry button. But it asks for the full card number and I only have the last 4 digits...what do I do? just cash out the full balance of the card?

Message 23 of 56

Hello Alex,

Ive had these same issues before - when trying to clear the balance, as per your instructions above, the clear button is not clickable. Ive tried numerous times with much time in-between (weeks), and it's still not working. I've had the same issues before & I believe it just started working one day. Now it's not. Is it something on my end, or are there other ways of going about clearing e-gift cards?

Thank you 🙂

Message 24 of 56
Admin

Hey @AwakenedHearth!

Thanks for your reply. 

Just to be sure, you're attempting to clear the balance of a gift card that currently has a balance, right? Would you mind taking a screenshot? 

Thank you! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 25 of 56

Hi Isabelle,

yes, the e-gift card is still showing a balance of around $80 even though the session has already occurred. When I try to clear the balance by setting it to $0.00 the clear button does not show up as clickable 

Message 26 of 56
Admin

Can you reply with a screenshot @AwakenedHearth

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 27 of 56

I can’t since this feature is not an option on my phone app & my laptop is struggling to connect to internet. 

Do you have any idea why I am suddenly not able to charge for sessions that clients book online & hold with their credit card info? I used to be able to just charge them after the session, but now the system requires the physical card or manual number entry & I end up having to send them an invoice to get paid. Is this just happening to me?

thank you! 🙏🏻

Message 28 of 56
Square Community Moderator

@AwakenedHearth you should be able to still charge a customer's card if it's on file for their account. Are you sure these customers are putting their cards on file vs. just for no show protection? That may be the issue.

While these options are similar, it’s important to understand the differences between the two.

Card on File: This is an optional selection that your client can make when booking an appointment that will allow them to save their card for future purchases. Card on File saves the card to the customer’s profile in your Customer Directory and allows you to charge it whenever you want. This is always optional to the customer and they can unlink their card at any time.

No-Show Protection: This requires clients to provide card information to book appointments so that you can determine whether or not to charge them based on your cancellation policy. Card information provided through No-Show Protection can only be used for cancellations up to 14 days after the appointment and isn’t applicable on separate purchases or appointments.

A client can not remove the card from No-Show Protection, but they can, however, remove their Card on File from the Customer Directory.

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Message 29 of 56

Thank you Ashley,

to be clear, the clients put in their card number for no-show protection. In the past I could then charge them after the appointment, now it’s not letting me do that any longer. Any advice? It’s becoming a real problem

Message 30 of 56

Hi Alex,

Im having the same issue and I've followed this thread quite a ways to no avail. Ive tried accessing from my laptop, iPad, and phone app. 

Message 31 of 56
Admin

Hey @CatFC! 🐈 

Please give our Support Team a call if you have exhausted all troubleshooting. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 32 of 56

Hi,

My Gift Cards/Overview page is blank and yet I know there are several gift cards, waiting to be redeemed. How can I fix this?

And, how do I redeem Gift Cards on the POS app? There is only the option to sell Gift Cards. The entire system is awkward with the Customer insisting there's a Gift Card and I'm unable to verify that it exists.

Thanks!

Message 33 of 56
Admin

Hey @Chiot, if you're getting a blank page on your browser, it could be because our website sometimes encounters errors when trying to connect to your browser. Here are a few troubleshooting tips you can try:

• Make sure your browser is up to date.
  • Clear the cache on your browser. Access the Help menu of your browser to locate step-by-step instructions.
  • Switch to a supported browser, such as Google Chrome.

To redeem an eGift Card on your Square Point of Sale app:

1. Add items to the sale, or enter a custom amount.
  2. Tap Charge > Gift Cards.
  3. Enter the 16-digit redemption code > tap Charge to select a payment card for the transaction.
  4. Complete the payment flow.

If you are not seeing the Gift Card options, you may need to enable this payment type within your settings

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 34 of 56

This option does not work.

Message 35 of 56

There is no option for gift card when I hit charge, help

Message 36 of 56
Square Community Moderator

Hi there again @Justforyoubylu,  please see my reply to you on this thread.

Additionally, I want to make sure you've seen our Community Etiquette Guidelines. We ask that you do not post the same message in multiple places, as it is not productive.

Thanks for understanding!

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Message 37 of 56

Thanks for the instructions on the gift cards deletion. 

Message 38 of 56

Can we get payment by cab charge card ? Anyone help please? Thanks

Message 39 of 56
Beta Member

I have tried the same thing, the person that bought the e gift card does not have the Card number. So i can't redeem it. I tried clearing, and no such luck.

Why cant i just enter the last 4 digits to redeem the gift?? Would make since to me. 
Thanks,

Chuck

Message 40 of 56
Beta Member

Finally figured out how to redeem through appointments, you have to charge "card on file". Choose the gift card, and do it that way.  not by the obvious "Gift card"

Thanks for being so Clear! 

Message 41 of 56
Admin

Sorry for the confusion @BearHairByChuck- Glad you were able to get it figured out! 

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 42 of 56