x

How do I connect my chip reader to my new iPhone and iPad?

I bought a chip reader and love how easy it is to use. However, I recently purchased a new iPhone X and iPad but my old chip reader won't connect. In fact, neither device will even recognize the reader through bluetooth. Do I have to purchase a new reader?

Message 1 of 16
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @rawbeautycda, I'm very sorry that your reader isn't pairing with your new phone. The Contactless and Chip Card reader is compatible with the new iPhone X and you don't need to buy a new reader! But keep in mind you can't pair the reader with both devices at the same time.

First thing's first: make sure you've 'forgotten' the connection between the reader and your iPad. To do this. open the Square Point of Sale app on your iPad and then follow these steps:

1. Tap the three horizontal lines in the upper left.
  2. Tap Settings > Scroll down to Card Readers
  3. Select your connected reader and tap Forget This Reader

Then, try pairing the reader to your iPhone

If that doesn't do the trick, I recommend resetting your reader. To reset your reader:

1. Charge your reader for at least 20 minutes.
  2. While the reader is charging, use a small object to firmly press and hold the button on the reader for 20 seconds.
  3. After 20 seconds, release the button and wait 10 seconds.
  4. Press the button again to turn the reader on. (You should see the lights come back on when it's reset. If you don't see any lights go through steps 1-4 again.)

After you've reset your reader try pairing it to your iPhone again! 

If you're still having trouble reply here to let me know what's happening! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @rawbeautycda, I'm very sorry that your reader isn't pairing with your new phone. The Contactless and Chip Card reader is compatible with the new iPhone X and you don't need to buy a new reader! But keep in mind you can't pair the reader with both devices at the same time.

First thing's first: make sure you've 'forgotten' the connection between the reader and your iPad. To do this. open the Square Point of Sale app on your iPad and then follow these steps:

1. Tap the three horizontal lines in the upper left.
  2. Tap Settings > Scroll down to Card Readers
  3. Select your connected reader and tap Forget This Reader

Then, try pairing the reader to your iPhone

If that doesn't do the trick, I recommend resetting your reader. To reset your reader:

1. Charge your reader for at least 20 minutes.
  2. While the reader is charging, use a small object to firmly press and hold the button on the reader for 20 seconds.
  3. After 20 seconds, release the button and wait 10 seconds.
  4. Press the button again to turn the reader on. (You should see the lights come back on when it's reset. If you don't see any lights go through steps 1-4 again.)

After you've reset your reader try pairing it to your iPhone again! 

If you're still having trouble reply here to let me know what's happening! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 16

When I goo to settings on my iPhone, there is no "Card Reader" option.

Message 3 of 16
Alumni

The Setting is found in-app under Settings > Hardware > Square Reader. The only setting that needs enabling from your device settings is Bluetooth. 

@marylitle

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 16

cannot get the reader to connect to phone

Message 5 of 16
Super Seller

@monamibandb What reader do you have?   What phone do you have?  We'll need more info to help you.

Message 6 of 16
Square Community Moderator

Hello @monamibandb,

Welcome to the Seller Community! Great to see you posting for the first time too.😊 

Just to piggy back off of @VanKalkerFarms's question (who always gives great advise by the way 😁) What device and reader are you using? 

Frida
Message 7 of 16

I am unable to pair my chip reader to my iphone xe

Message 8 of 16

Hi there @hdiamond1,

Are you getting a certain error message when trying to pair? Or does it just refuse to connect completely? 

This will help us do some troubleshooting / point you in the right direction.

Also, welcome to the Seller Community!

Ellie
Message 9 of 16

Everything looks like I am connected but the card reader doesn't do anything when I put my credit card on it? Iv'e tried to "forget this device" on my phone, like suggested.

Message 10 of 16

Hey @AmmiBrooks,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here in the Seller Community, and sorry to hear about the trouble pairing your Square Reader to your phone. Once you've forgotten the reader from your device, are you re-pairing it from the Square Point of Sale app? Keep in mind that pairing the reader via your phone's Bluetooth settings won't work, as it needs to be paired via the app:

1. Tap More > Settings.
  2. Scroll down and tap on "Hardware".
  3. Tap on "Square card readers" and then "Connect a Reader".
  4. Follow the on screen prompts.

Please let us know how you go!

Message 11 of 16

My phone won't let me forget this device. I have tried several times. I do it but it pops back up.

Message 12 of 16

Helen,

I followed your instructions several times and it still doesn't want to pair...I need to use the device at a convention next week and need to get this working...Help!

Keith......

Message 13 of 16

HAVE THE SQUARE APP CONED TO MY IPHONE 13  BUT WOULD LIKE TO ALSO CONNET IT TO MY iPHONE8

Message 14 of 16

My reader also will not pair with my phone. It does not show up as discoverable in Bluetooth on my phone. I have tried all the things: hard reset the reader, charge the reader, update the app, force quite the app, etc. The lights blink on the reader like they're supposed to, but it does not appear in the Bluetooth list. 

Message 15 of 16

Hi @FWR2023  - I see this is your first post in the Seller Community so I'd like to officially welcome you! 🎉👏

You actually won't pair the Contactless + Chip reader through your phone's Bluetooth settings. Instead, you'll do it directly through the Square app by following these steps:

1. Go to your device settings and make sure Bluetooth is turned on.

2. Open the Square app and tap More from the navigation bar at the bottom of your screen.

3. Tap Settings > Hardware > Card Readers > “Connect a Reader.”

4. Put your reader into pairing mode by pressing the reader’s button for 3-10 seconds.

5. Remove your finger as soon as you see orange flashing lights. If you see red flashing lights, you’ve held the button too long and you’ll need to try again.

When connected, the reader will be listed as Reader Reader Ready in the app.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any further trouble with pairing your reader.

Violet
Message 16 of 16