x

How do I create a device code for easy login from my phone?

How do I create a device code for easy login from my phone?

Thanks,

Tim Zack

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

I'm wondering the same thing.

Message 2 of 15

Hello @Tim-Zack and @Sheridelarm, I'm happy to welcome the both of you to the Seller Community!

Setting up device codes is easy, just follow these steps: 

• Head to the Account & Settings tab on your Square Dashboard.
  • Click on Devices. 
  • Then select Create Device in the top right corner.
  • Enter a name for the device and click create to generate the code.
  • Choose to send your code via email or by text and tap Send.
  • Open Square on your device and tap sign in. 
  • Select use a device code and enter your code. 

If you still have questions regarding device codes please let me know. I would be happy to help. 😀

Message 3 of 15

I would like to create my own device code for the ease of remembering the code.  Is this possible?  Thanks

Message 4 of 15
Alumni

Hi @thekchall - Thanks for reaching out! Unfortunately, there isn't a way to create custom device codes. The system will generate one for you.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 5 of 15

Chad , I am new to using my Square reader, can you please advise me as to how I might create my own personal device code for my square reader and Android Cell phone note 3. I am unable to find out how to create my own personal device code .  The only information that I can find has to do with an automatic 12 alphnumeric digit device code generated by my phone and app. I have created a location and  created a device, which has generated a code that is not of my own making and easily forgotten. I understand that I can create a code but am confused. So if you would please help me, I would appreciate it.

Thank you, Elise

Message 6 of 15
Square Community Moderator

Hi @embart

I'm happy to step in for Chad here. 

Device Codes are used to sign in to an account and replace the email address and password combination so you don't have to give that sensitive information out to your employees.

These are randomly generated and can't be customized unfortunately.

Message 7 of 15

Can someone please tell me how to do this?  The website either doesn't cover it or it's buried. I need to name each device, they are already connected to the account and are being used daily... 

Message 8 of 15
Alumni

Sounds like you're looking to set up device codes which doesn't pertain to this thread.

No worries tho, Chad can help you out to this thread I merged you to. He gives the rundown on how to get started. 

I hope this helps! @Bert0880

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 15

Hi. I've had square app for over a year and a half and I need to set up a device code for a friend whos going to be helping me out. I've tried to follow your instructions but the app doesn't have a device option. I tried to go through the Google tab instead of the app, but found the same problem, I can't find the device option and that is the first thing I need to follow through with your steps and the steps I found through the app. Can you please help? 

Message 10 of 15

Glad you were able to get it resolved @CorrieB. The Square Online Dashboard is available via a web browser and it can be accessed on a Mobile Phone, Tablet or Computer. Also, there is no need to log out from the Square Point of Sale Application to use it. Let me know if there's anything I could help you with.

JJ
Message 11 of 15

It may have a web browser that is available on phone, tablet, and computer but the layout and buttons are different from each devise and some buttons (options) we're missing. I signed out because I was trying it on someone else's phone trying to solve my problem because I kept getting the same answer every time I tried to ask why I wasn't seeing the next step in the process, same as I got from you, and so many other have gotten from you as well(as I could see from other comments) 

Message 12 of 15

Hey there @CorrieB here are the latest steps on how to create Device Codes:

From Account & Settings > Business > Devices in your online Square Dashboard.

Click Create Device.

Enter a Nickname and click Create to generate your code.

Choose to send your code via email or phone number and tap Send.

Open the Square app on your mobile device and tap Sign In.

Tap “Use a Device Code” and enter the code.

The device status in your dashboard should say Active.

If you have team members, they can clock in with their personal passcode and will have access based on their permissions group.

Note: If not used within 48 hours, a device code will expire and you’ll need to reset it to sign in to the Square app.

I hope this information is helpful!

JJ
Message 13 of 15

Thanks for trying but no it didn't help. The issue I was having was not with the steps or understanding what I needed to do. The problem I was having was that it didn't have the button I needed. I had to sign off on my phone and sign on to it using a tablet or computer 

Message 14 of 15
Beta Member

Hi Y’all - I have a brick mortar store with iPad running Square Retail Plus but I also go outside the store and process sales mobile.  As I understand, device codes expire after 48hr of no use - I want to use my phone to process sales for my store anytime/anywhere without fear of expired device code or having to reset device code. What’s the work around for a permanent 2nd device linked to same location as the brick mortar device?

thanks. 

Message 15 of 15