x

How do I create barcodes to add to my inventory?

I want to create barcodes and add them to my inventory on square.  Or make new items and add a barcode.  My biggest question is how do I create a barcode.  There are tons of barcode generators out there, but which ones are going to work for labels that can be attached to merchandise?  Which kind of barcode?

Message 1 of 27
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

I had a tough time figuring this out, but after lots of reading and research I found this one to be the most helpful, with no extra work needed. You just type a SKU into the program, and it creates a barcode, which you then have to export as a png, jpg, pdf or whichever format you choose. I have a soap shop so I export my barcodes as png files ( very small) then insert them onto the actual soap label of each product.

It costs $50 from itunes https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ibarcoder/id439864161?mt=12.  All you have to do is choose the barcode you want to use, and go through the setup options on your scanner (square recommended scanner below).

After you've created the barcode, there are two ways to get it into square. Go to edit item, then manually type the SKU into the SKU field. OR in the edit mode you can just scan your newly printed barcode and it will populate the SKU field for you. Do a test after each one, just to make sure you have it correct. 

I use the barcode scanner that square suggests. 

• Socket Mobile 7Ci, which you can google or find on square support pages. You also have to go through setup options but they are very simple. A booklet is provided to help.

Hope this is helpful.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

I am looking for a bar code generator that allows a short description of the item along with the barcode. I appreciate any information.

Message 22 of 27
Square

@Gudrun - I went ahead and merged your comment where we had a discussion about this already. Check out this thread, and feel free to tag any specific community members by putting the @ symbol before their name. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 23 of 27

I bought ibarcoder from itunes and I use Code 128. When you creat your barcode in ibarcoder there is a box you can check that says "human readable text". It gives a lot of options, even how big or small you want your barcode to be. I think the human readable text would be available on other codes as well. You just have to play around a bit to find the one that suits your needs. Code 128 is a really simple one to make checkout easier for my customers in my store.

Message 24 of 27
Beta Member

@knieuwoudt did you buy this for iPad or mac computer? Thanks

Message 25 of 27

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Can Square create barcodes or do I need another program?

I have several products that I need to create a barcode for, does square capable of doing this or do I need another program for this. Thanks

Message 26 of 27
Admin

Hey @brucescandy. There isn't a way to create a barcode from your Square account. Another seller shared informaiton about the program they use to set up bar codes in this thread: How do I create barcodes to add to my inventory? I hope this helps you to get started! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 27 of 27