x

How do I delete an invoice?

How do I delete an invoice that I accidentally marked as paid (by check)?

Message 1 of 9
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

There is no way to delete a transaction, including invoices, but you can refund the invoice to balance your books. Then resend the invoice to your customer to allow them to pay using their credit card. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Square

Best Answer

There is no way to delete a transaction, including invoices, but you can refund the invoice to balance your books. Then resend the invoice to your customer to allow them to pay using their credit card. 

Message 2 of 9

Does the "refund" action send the email to the customer? If it is, it will make my customer confused. Waiting for your answer. Thank you!

Message 3 of 9
Admin

Hi @JoyNguyen

If the invoice as been marked as paid as check/cash/other your customer will not be notified if you issue a refund.

If you haven't marked the invoice as paid, you can cancel it! 

To cancel an unpaid invoice:

1. Navigate to the Invoices section of your Square Dashboard.
  2. Click on the invoice in question, click More and click Cancel.

After you click 'cancel' you will see the option to notify your customer that the invoice has been canceled. Leave the box unchecked if you don't want your customer to receive an email notification! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 4 of 9

@Helen wrote:

Hi @JoyNguyen

If the invoice as been marked as paid as check/cash/other your customer will not be notified if you issue a refund.

If you haven't marked the invoice as paid, you can cancel it! 

To cancel an unpaid invoice:

1. Navigate to the Invoices section of your Square Dashboard.
  2. Click on the invoice in question, click More and click Cancel.

After you click 'cancel' you will see the option to notify your customer that the invoice has been canceled. Leave the box unchecked if you don't want your customer to receive an email notification! 

Hi.

Thanks for the reply 🙂

No, what I wanted to do was actually delete the recurring invoice from the recurring invoice list. One they are 'Ended' there seems no way to actually get ride of the recurring invoice. You can use the drop down menu to select 'Active' ... this would actually be great, if you could select Active as the default list.  

Message 5 of 9

Thanks for the response.  Is there any way to delete the invoice entirely... I sent one to myself as a sample test and now it shows on my reports and I cannot get rid of the "payment received" in my reports.

Message 6 of 9

I don't think there is. I am not sure what happens if you remove the customer completely. Maybe that will do it. You can archive the invoice to remove it form the invoice list but I think that will still show up as money received in reports.

Message 7 of 9

If I cancel an invoice, does that mean the customer gets their deposit back?

I want to cancel the invoice without issue a deposit refund. 

Message 8 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Welcome to the Community, @LisaLLO

Whenever you cancel the invoice, any deposits or partial payments will not be refunded. The refund would have to be initiated manually. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 9