x

How do I fix issues with availability in Appointments?

I am having a problem with appointments.  I have had a few people email me to tell me that we are all booked for the day and time that they are requesting services, however, we aren't.  I don't know if it is a parameter I set by accident or if something is wrong.  Also, I thought people could schedule multiple servcies with Square?  

Message 1 of 28
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hey there 👋

Here are some things to check for to ensure that your Appointments availability is set as intended.

1. If you have staff, review your Staff Availability and Hours

• Make sure you and your staff's hours are enabled for the days and times you are receiving an error.
  • Check if your staff members have Custom Availability set up. Custom Availability will override business and staff hours for one-off changes to schedules. This setting can be found in the Calendar tab of your your Appointments dashboard.

2. Review your Staff Calendar for Appointments or Personal Events 

• Check if the staff member has an existing appointment or personal event blocking that time slot. (Events being imported from a synced Google Calendar can also block availability and must be removed from the Google Calendar to make the slot available again).
  • If a personal event was created from the Appointments calendar, unchecking the Block Time box within the event details will make this slot available for online booking.

3. Check Service Settings for Blocked Time

Check if the appointment prior to the time slot in question has had extra block time added to it. Block time is enabled in the service settings, and can be disabled on a per-appointment basis from the appointment details.

Any block time enabled for a service is added to the service duration. For example, a 1 hour service with 10 minutes of block time creates a 70 minute slot.

4. Check Your Online Scheduling Preferences and Scheduling Policy

Online scheduling settings determine which time slots are displayed as available and when they can be selected. Head to the Settings tab of your Appointments dashboard to check:

• Appointments are scheduled:
    • According to service duration: splits your availability into time slots that match the duration of the service. For example, 20 minute services will split your available time into 20-minute slots.
    • On the quarter hour: displays available slots on the quarter hour. For example: 3:00, 3:15, 3:30, 3:45.
    • On the half hour: displays available slots on the half hour. For example: 3:00, 3:30, 4:00.
    • On the hour: displays available slots at the top of the hour. For example: 3:00, 4:00, 5:00.
  • Appointments must be made in advance: This setting asks that clients book a minimum amount of time in advance, from one hour to one week. If appointments must be made 1 day in advance, the client must book at least 24 hours before the start of the appointment.
  • Appointments can’t be scheduled farther out than: This setting prevents customers from booking too far in advance, which comes in handy if you don’t know what your schedule will look like a few weeks/months out. For example, clients can only request an appointment within a week of the service date and time.
  • Fake-It filter: The Fake-It filter arbitrarily removes a percentage of available slots from the online booking site. If this filter is enabled, see if turning the filter off opens up the time slot in question.
  • Held Time Slots: When an available time slot in your online booking calendar is selected, Square holds that slot for 15 minutes to ensure the client has time to complete the booking. If the person who selected the time slot doesn’t finish booking in 15 minutes, the slot is once again made available to others.

It is definitely possible for a client to book multiple services. You can enable your online booking site to support this from your dashboard’s Business Settings.

Clients will only be able to select a combination of services that a single staff member can provide. 

Hopefully this gets everything resolved and back to normal. Definitely post here to share any tips that especially worked for you -or- if you have any additional questions.

PS) If this answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just post again here, and we'll continue to help. Thanks!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Square Community Moderator

Welcome back, @THarry

I moved your post to a board with some helpful tips and tricks with setting specifics on your appointments. 

Check out the Best Answer by our wonderful Russell on how to get it set up. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 22 of 28

Recently when I go and edit our availability/times with appointments the edits revert and or double up.    Also if we make an edit on the ipad the time just does not show up on desktop or online scheduling.   I've tried all the basic restarts, deleting and uploading the app, reboot modem and turn power off and on.     I can't figure out what might be causing these edits not to save.

Message 23 of 28
Alumni

@UrbanShaveSD - eek, sounds buggy. Give the best answer on this thread a shot to see if they fix your issue with setting availability.

If you still need assistance, reach out to our Appointments Team so they can escalate to our Engineers. 

Justin
Message 24 of 28

Hi!  I’ve just learned that my evening appointments (all of them) show as booked.....however I have many openings.  Has anyone had this issue and know how to fix it?  Please and thank you!!!! 

Message 25 of 28
Square Community Moderator

Welcome to the Community, @Slga0116

I moved your post to a thread where some sellers were experiencing the same booking issue. 

Take a look at the Best Answer to check some of your settings. 

Please let me know if this doesn't do the trick. 

Kassi
Message 26 of 28

I finally found a fix for this issue, fingers crossed.  I went to the calendar page, in the upper right hand corner is an icon that looks like a clock.  Click on the clock icon.  This will open the Edit Availabiity page. Scroll to the bottom of the page and hit the "reset week to default" button then click done.  Check your calendar to ensure time slots are now open to book appointments.  🤞

Message 27 of 28

Its the FAKE IT FILTER. ITS BLINDS AVAILABLE APPT SLOTS SO THAT YOUR BUSINESS CAN SEEM BUSIER. Once you turn the fake it filter off ALL available time slots will appear. 

Also be aware of time zones if you do business outside of your time zone.

Also business hours make sure your appts coincide with your business hours.

And lastly 

If you don't need time blocking on... turn it off. This will also push back your time slots for clients. It says 15min have been blocked off for set up or clean up after another appt. If u don't need it disable it. 

I hope this helps

Message 28 of 28