x

How do I get a free magstripe card reader?

I was giving a Free reader after filling out my information and it showed me a list of stores to get one but how to I get it free at a store? Do I need to wait for a email with a code?

Message 1 of 54
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

We'd love to get a free card reader in your hands! If you're new and haven't ordered a free reader yet you can get a Square reader from a retail location near you. The $10 you spend on a magstripe reader will be reimbursed as a $10 credit to your account when you redeem a code after purchase.

If you don't need the reader right away, you can also order one from your online dashboard or the app and it will arrive within 10 days. For step-by-steps, visit this Support Center article.

Hope that helps!

Update 2018: If you've already signed up for Square and received one free magstripe reader, you can order additional magstripe readers for $10. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 54
53 REPLIES 53

I need another free chip reader. How do I go about getting one?

Message 22 of 54
Admin

@cdrury If you've already received one free reader a second reader will cost $10. You can order the reader form the Square Online Store but if you need one ASAP you can buy one from a store. This site will help you find a store near you https://squ.re/wheretobuy

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 23 of 54

I never got the option to get a free reader in the square shop it has always told me $10

Message 24 of 54

If I'd like to start using a square reader asap,  can I buy one at the store and get re-imbursed?

Message 25 of 54
Square

Yep! Check out the steps George provided in this post.

Message 26 of 54

I need a new reader by Monday!!!

How do I express deliver a new square?... I need it by next Thursday 

Message 27 of 54
Alumni

Hi @Susiebabak

I moved your post to this thread where other sellers also had questions about getting a free magstripe reader.

We don't have an express shipping for these, they take around 10 days to arrive by USPS. If you need one right away, you can buy one from a store for $10 and we'll credit your account $10. You can find a store near you using our store locator

Message 28 of 54

Signed up for square,do I get a free reader? If so how long will it take to get it?

Thank you

Message 29 of 54

Have not sent me a square yet

Message 30 of 54

If I buy a reader online, does it come with a way to get the $10 back or they are just $10 now? This isn't our first reader.

Also, is it the same if I buy in a store. Come with a way to get the $10 back or it's just $10 now.

I seen on the website that "some" are eligible for free readers. I guess this means some aren't and they cost $10?

Message 31 of 54
Admin

@heyjay When you sign up for Square your first magstripe reader is free. Additional magstripe readers cost $10 - that the price of the magstripe reader with Lightning connector and it's the price of the magstripe reader with headset jack.

If you purchase your first reader in store you can use a redemption code in the packaging to redeem $10 back - but keep in mind only one redemption code can be claimed per account.

There's more ifnormation about buying additional readers in the Square Support Center but if you have any other questions please let me know!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 32 of 54
Beta Member

I recently signed up for Square and the only place I see to order a reader is through the dashboard but it has $10 listed as the price instead of being for free. What to do?

Message 33 of 54
Square Community Moderator

Hi @NeliasKitchen

Your very first reader as a new account with us is free but have you ever had an account with us before for another business? If so, that might be why it's not showing as free through your dashboard.

Alternatively, you can pick one up from a participating retailer such as Staples or Best Buy and the packaging comes with a redemption code inside to get your money back. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 34 of 54
Beta Member

Hello @ashc 

Thank you for the reply. I've never used Square before and recently setup my account.

Message 35 of 54

@NeliasKitchen Hmm that's odd. Have you ever set up an account for someone else before under your information maybe? 

I'd recommend reaching out to our Support Team to look into this further and they'd probably just be able to send one out to you unless you wanted to pick one up in stores instead!

Ashley C
Message 36 of 54

My purse was stolen and I need a new reader sent to me

Message 37 of 54

Do I need to order a swipe square device or do you get one automatically after signing up.  

Message 38 of 54

Hey there, @TripXpo

Welcome to the Community!

I moved your post to a board with similar questions. Please check out the Best Answer by George for more info.

Kassi
Message 39 of 54

I've signed up and bank is verified. Why am I being charged $10 for the reader?

Message 40 of 54

Hey @Tmajor2020,

I moved your post to an existing thread on how to order your first free reader.

It's possible you may have an old account with us that is stopping it from showing as free. You'll need to contact our direct CS team to have them order you one if this is the case or there's a link in the best answer on this thread on where to get them in stores. In stores they'll come with a redemption code to get your $10 back. 

Ashley C
Message 41 of 54

I have my square card

How do I get the magnetic card reader

Message 42 of 54